Questions about new one-of-a-kind jewelry website

Old July 2nd 03, 04:55 AM
Mark

Default Questions about new one-of-a-kind jewelry website

That is his usual style, although he does sometime include a tiny nugget of
help from his vast storehouse of ............Hmmm can't think of a nice way
to describe what I think his vast storehouse is.
Mark
PS just remember Mr. A...Delta Airlines is ready when you are.
"carrie" wrote in message
Abrasha wrote in message
. ..
Jessica wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm starting a online jewelry business soon - will be
selling very unique trendy/contemporary jewelry (Price range $80
-250/pc), targeting younger group of consumer (under 35, maybe). I'd
like to get some advice from the group, how should I go about
promoting my site or products? If you were a shopper, looking for
some trendy jewelry for social events (clubbing) - you know, the very
GQ-look type of style, where would you go? Or what magazines do you
read? or review sites?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Jessica

You're in for a wild ride, and setting yourself up to lose bundles of

money
and/or a great deal of time.

Scores of very well financed jewelry web sites have failed before you.

With
well financed, I mean millions of dollars. Right now I can only think

of
Miadora as far as jewelry is concerned. Others, still in business have

tons of
money behind them.

The fact that you come for research to this rather sparsely populated

newsgroup
of at best a motley crew of participants of varying backgrounds,

demonstrates
clearly that you do not have a clue about what you are trying to get

yourself
into. BTW, with motley crew, I do include myself, because even though I

may be
a craftsman of some accomplishments, as far as marketing and business

acumen are
concerned, I still operate by the seat of my pants. We are mostly a

group of
crafts people, with bench experience. We are by and large not business

people,
market researchers, bankers, venture capitalists, CEO material, etc.

You are
coming to the wrong place!

Do yourself a favor, and study the "case studies" of failed online

marketers
very thoroughly, before you do this.

A bankroll of about $2 million, will get your web site started, assuming

you
have the products, to deliver possible orders. Promoting to the under

35 group,
would include MTV, WIRED magazine, etc. After you run out of your first

couple
of mil, you will need a second round of financing to keep the site

afloat, pay
staff, pay suppliers, servers, etc. Better find yourself a group of

generous
venture capitalists who suffer from amnesia.

Of course, you could also do it on a shoe string like I did, and reap a

gross of
about $20,000 to $40,000 a year from it, not enough to give up your day

job.
Also, my site did not start paying off until last year, and it has been

up since
March of 1996. So you have to be patiently waiting for a trickle of

income.
And my site has the benefit of always showing up within the first 10

hits (often
#1 or #2) when doing a search in Google, Yahoo, Lycos and other search

engines
when using the search criteria of "jewelry design", "contemporary

jewelry", or
"contemporary jewelry design". I get about 160 unique visits a day.

You'll
have to get at least 1000 to 2500 unique visits a day, if you want to

ever hope
of beginning to make any real money.

Lastly, you throw around some very general slogans like "very unique
trendy/contemporary jewelry", "trendy jewelry for social events" and

"the very
GQ-look type of style" Who defines those terms? Do you pretend to know

what
under 35 year olds want?

Do yourself a favor, save some money or better still, get some "very

unique
trendy/contemporary very GQ-look type of style jewelry for social

events" at
abrasha.com

Mention that you read about the site in rec.crafts.jewelry and they'll

give you
2% off already bargain basement prices.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

I just read this question and answer, I am amazed at the answer given
to Jessica.
Abrasha, you sound angry and bitter. Instead of giving her some help
and sharing your vast knowledge you lamb blasted her about trying to
sell her creations. Are afraid of the competition or just don't like
the marketing aspect of your business?
It does not take millions to create and keep a website. There are
places she can sell her products without a personal website. I too am
a designer and am trying to sell my product so I am checking out
sights. The only one I know of right now is Ruby Lane but I will check
out others.
I wish I had more help for Jessica but this is really aimed at
Abrasha, try to be more helpful to the newbies to marketing their
creations that they are just as proud of as you are of yours.
Carrie

Old July 2nd 03, 05:10 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On , in rec.crafts.jewelry "Mark" wrote:

That is his usual style, although he does sometime include a tiny nugget of
help from his vast storehouse of ............Hmmm can't think of a nice way
to describe what I think his vast storehouse is.

Abrasha is indeed sometimes rather, um.... blunt. Some readers, especially
beginners, don't know what to make of that. Other readers, especially those
nice minded folks reading Abrashas posts which are answers to OTHER people, get
offended. But for the record, while he often skips the nice tone, and gentle
bedside manners, , I've generally found over the years that his information is
accurate. It is, of course, only one point of view. But his message on
starting an online business reflects not only his years of doing the same
himself, but also the reality of the fact that very few online web based
businesses ever really take off and become true successes unless lucky, and very
well financed. People with lesser means, but also lesser expectations, may
find ways to make a modest small profit. Many readers of this group do exactly
that. But it's true, nevertheless, that the percentage of those who try to do
it, who actually manage to live full time off web sales of their jewelry are in
the minority. If it's rude and nasty and unsupportive to come right out and say
that, well, that's a shame. With some things, sometimes in't not easy to state
things gently, and Abrasha generally isn't known for trying to do so. Still,
like it or not, his information is, indeed, often right on the money.

Most often, his info regards jewelry making and the craft of this stuff. In
that regard, I'd dare say there are only a few in this group's readership who's
skills equal his. He may be curt and sparing with his help, but when it's
offered, it's good info.

Trust me. There is indeed a "vast storehouse" of that info there. consider
yourselves luck to now and then get a little bit of it offered.

And remember that while a rudely direct, but accurate informative post, such as
Abrasha's, is entirely within this groups charter limits and fully allowed,
personal attacks are NOT. The last two posts in this thread don't offer as much
info on the craft of jewelry as they do opinions and negative personal thoughts
addressed to Abrasha.

Mr. A has been playing by the rules regarding flames and personal attacks very
nicely for several years now. I trust those of you who find his manners not to
your liking will also do the same.

You do not have to be nice. But you do have to keep things professional and
neutral. Abrasha's post wasn't nasty at all. It merely was blunt, and honestly
portrayed his opinion that the described course of action was a bad business
move, likely headed for failure and financial loss. You may not agree. Go
ahead and debate the issue.

But steer clear of personal attacks. I'll stop them from Abrasha, if he
chooses to stoop that low, and I'll stop them from you other readers if you do
the same. And in this thread, you others are a lot closer to that.

Remember that these aren't my rules. You readers, or others like you, wrote the
charter and asked me to moderate the group according to it. If you wish to
change these rules, feel free to discuss it in the group. I'll be happy to
follow whatever group opinions prevail at any given time.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

Introduction, & a couple questions about the group..... Kyla Beads 19 November 3rd 03 08:10 PM
Bead and jewelry site. Mary Ann Beads 6 October 20th 03 04:11 AM
AD and dumb questions from a newbie Nathalie Lebreux Beads 7 September 9th 03 09:45 PM
What Would You Do? - Jewelry Crystal McLauren Beads 0 September 5th 03 02:13 PM
c-lon beading thread and sterling jewelry tags june Beads 4 July 6th 03 04:44 AM