Would like your advice/ideas

Old December 9th 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Would like your advice.. still OT-Polish food

Mmmm....kolazcy! A friend of mine gets dozens of them in the mail
from her nana, each one wrapped in tissue. Who cares if they're stale
coming from Chicago - when my friend brings them to knitting they
disappear postehaste!

I've tried making them myself but I lack the genes, apparently

Now, I can make a mean English muffin...

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old December 9th 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Well, there's a recipe that uses cream cheese in the dough, and there's the
ORIGINAL YEAST dough.
Pole *here* likes both. And the filling HAS to be Solo brand... hard to
find in Tennessee.....

Noreen

--
If Moses had been a woman, she'd have stopped and asked for directions, and
the people would've gotten to the promised land in under a week!

President Mackenzie Allen, ABC's Commander in Chief

Old December 10th 05, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Yes Gemini, you were VERY polite and smiley! So, your wonderful politeness
will be rewarded, but first the story:

When my (now ex-) husband and I moved with our little boy to upstate NY, a
new friend found out that we didn't have any family to go to at Christmas
time, and invited us to her parents' house for Christmas Eve buffet (it
eventually became the Christmas evening buffet). Grandma Morris had the same
menu every year, as I described it in my email. My task that first year was
to make the fruity snow salad, which was her son's favorite. I also added
the kielbasi to the tradition - Grandpa Morris was not supposed to eat it
because of a heart condition, but he did that one day every year and loved
every bite of it! This became our family tradition until my husband and I
divorced - the boys were older teens.

Now I make the dinner on Christmas Day. Even though Nick and his wife (now
ex) had 4 places to go to on Christmas, he always insisted on coming to my
house for this meal. He was a good sport - he would eat at every house, too!
Such sacrifice!! ;-)

Here's the recipe:

Fruity Snow Salad

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 TB lemon juice
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 c. mayonnaise
Large can fruit cocktail, drained
1/2 c. pecans or walnuts (I use walnuts, lg. pieces, and more like 1 c.)
1 c. heavy cream, whipped with vanilla and 10X sugar

Soften gelatin in lemon juice and dissolve over hot water (I do this in the
microwave - use low setting and do it for only about 10 seconds at a time).
Soften cream cheese and blend in mayonnaise.Stir in gelatin, fruit cocktail
and nuts. Fold into whipped cream. Either put in fancy dish to serve or in
mold. This sets up very quickly. It does not last very long - I have never
had leftovers. Be careful - when you add the gelatin, sometimes the stuff
all curdles and looks a bit like cottage cheese, but it ALWAYS tastes good,
and it is pretty much hidden in the whipped cream. I find the name brand
fruit cocktail works best - there is more fruit.

Another favorite: Cranberry Ginger Chutney
(if you send me an email I will send it as an attachment, all ready to print
out formatted and in color as a recipe card).

1-1/2 c. fresh cranberries
16 dried apricots, quartered
¾ c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. dried currants
2 Tb. Minced peeled fresh ginger
2 Tb. Cranberry juice cocktail
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
(I also like to add walnuts to this, you can substitute raisins, dried
cherries, etc).

Combine all ingredients in heavy medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat,
stirring to dissolve sugar. Increase heat to high and boil 3 minutes.
Transfer to bowl, cool. Can prepare up to 1 week in advance; store in
airtight container. Makes about 1 2/3 cups. Note: I substitute dried
cherries for the apricots and/or currants. I also find that I need to
increase the liquid so that the final product is not too solid and dry.

Grandma Morris' baked beans - she would make up a huge batch of these for
the church fall festival every year. People stood in line waiting for her
beans, and they were usually sold out in less than 30 minutes.

1 lb navy beans
1 tsp salt
2TB dry mustard
6 TB sugar
1/2 lb salt pork, diced
4 c. cold water.

Wash beans, check for stones. put all ingredients in order into a bean (2
qt, I think) pot, cover and bake 8-12 hours in a 225 degree oven. Stir every
once in awhile so you don't have a layer of uncooked beans on the top. I
make a double batch and do it in a crock pot - tastes just as good.

Bon apetit!
Susan

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
"Soozergirl" wrote in message
k.net...
Christmas dinner buffet: Fruity Snow salad (if anyone wants the recipe I
will publish it on this ng, it has enough calories to keep you going for
at
least a month)

Yes please! ) See I asked very nicely and gave you a nice smile

too...
I think I should get the recipe for that! ;o) hehehe

Gemini

---

Old December 10th 05, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Would like your advice/ideas Dennis & Gail

Thanks! I saw quite a few afghan books in the Jo Anns, and this title sounds
familiar...I spent some time in my Printshop today and designed the
placement of the colors. Now, I will determine the patterns and their
placement. Don't you just love computers?

Susan K

"Spike Driver" wrote in message
Susan,

I made an afghan from a pattern book purchased from Wal-Mart. I believe
it was titled "63 Heirloom Afghan squares. It is beautiful and gives
ideas on patterns and connecting them. It was not expensive and it made
a beautiful afghan.

Let me know if you can not find, I will find one and you can purchase it
from me. I t was under $5.00.

Hugs & God bless,

Dennis & Gail

---

Old December 10th 05, 08:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Would like your advice/ideas and OT

No but my father in law (step father in law actually) was from Poland his
name was Sikora sadly we lost him to cancer two years ago..
I have just picked up a white silk rose which is custom to puton his grave
at this time of year
cheers......Cher

Old December 10th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam.... I'm not sure if it was homemade fudge, or cakes, or what exactly
it was that my Mom would say if the weather wasn't just right it wouldn't
turn out properly. I was only a little girl when I remember hearing her say
this, which is why I can't remember which thing it was.

Gemini