Silver sheet?

Old December 9th 04, 05:56 AM
Ian Rogers

Default Silver sheet?

Hi everyone, I apologize if I'm about to ask the ultimate newbie question,
but I'm not sure what to buy. I was given an 18mm x 13mm 'blue paua" oval
cabochon. It's very shallow, only about 1mm tall. Flat back.

So I thought I'd set this and either make a necklace or a ring.

What guage of silver would best be used for either of the above. I'm not
thinking about anythinbg fancy, just a quick new project to keep my mind off
exams...

Any other advice is greatly appreciated! :O)

Thanks everyone,
~ Ian

Old December 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Neil Marsh

Hi Ian,

Depending on what you want to spend on tools and what you
already have on hand, you may want to consider doing a wire wrap
piece. A few feet of wire, a couple pair of pliers, and you're ready
to roll. If you do it with sheet you'll need fine silver bezel stock,
a saw, files, and soldering gear as well. Not a huge investment, but
not pocket change either. Without knowing the intended wearer, I'd
put it in a pendant. That stone could be a real snag hazard as a ring
on anyone who works with their hands.

If you think the jewelry making bug is apt to bite, and it
probably will. a copy of Tim Mcreight's "The Complete Metalsmith" is
the foundation of many a hobby jeweler's library (and more than a few
pros too, I'll warrant.)

Cheers!
Neil

Old December 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Lamedeer

Ian Rogers wrote:
Hi everyone, I apologize if I'm about to ask the ultimate newbie question,
but I'm not sure what to buy. I was given an 18mm x 13mm 'blue paua" oval
cabochon. It's very shallow, only about 1mm tall. Flat back.

So I thought I'd set this and either make a necklace or a ring.

What guage of silver would best be used for either of the above. I'm not
thinking about anythinbg fancy, just a quick new project to keep my mind off
exams...

Any other advice is greatly appreciated! :O)

Thanks everyone,
~ Ian

The shell is really to thin to mess with but if you are set then you
should use at least 24 gauge. You might consider finding something to
glue it to or inlay it on.
Old December 10th 04, 04:09 PM
Ian Rogers

"Lamedeer" wrote in message

The shell is really to thin to mess with but if you are set then you
should use at least 24 gauge. You might consider finding something to
glue it to or inlay it on.

At least 24 gauge, meaning 24 and thinner, or 24 and thicker?

I can easily make a backing piece for the cabochon (and have been thinking
about it) we tons of 16 guage sheet steel scrap around that I can make use
of.

~ Ian

Old December 10th 04, 04:13 PM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:08:01 -0800, in hõ "Ian Rogers" wrote:

I can easily make a backing piece for the cabochon (and have been thinking
about it) we tons of 16 guage sheet steel scrap around that I can make use
of.

If you're making a ring, use something for the backing that won't rust or corrode. Any
ring is exposed to perspiration.

One friend of mine uses old credit cards as build up stock behind thinner cabs, or when
even thicker is needed, old CDs. She's got a stack of those CDs that AOL sends out all
the time trying to get people to sign up with them. they cut just fine with a jewelers
saw and coarser blade, while the credit cards work fine with just snips... A few
decades ogo, I recall seeing old vinyl phonograph records apparently used the same way
in American Indian jewelry (though sawdust seemed more common and traditional)

Peter
Old December 11th 04, 05:11 AM
Lamedeer

24 gauge or thicker. I'm thinking of strength since the shell is so thin
and you don't want it to flex. Steel is out of the question. I'm
referring to silver.

Peter is correct about the vinyl records being use for backing in Indian
jewelry but I never thought of CD material. I've never seen saw dust
used. Seems it would be more bother than it's worth. Perhaps it was
cardboard that deteriorated. I use Mil-Spec transformer fish paper when
necessary.

If you find it necessary to grind or file the shell to fit be aware that
the dust is a deadly poison.

Old December 11th 04, 05:11 AM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:13:25 GMT, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:08:01 -0800, in h=07=F5 "Ian Rogers" irogers@mak=

net.com wrote:

I can easily make a backing piece for the cabochon (and have been thin=

king=20
about it) we tons of 16 guage sheet steel scrap around that I can make=

use=20
[...]

That's a much better idea than matchbook covers, which are the
canonical material in Southwest Indian jewelry. The problem with them
is that the cardboard shrinks and swells with humidity and that does
bad things to the setting.

I also wonder what's going to happen when you burnish the bezel down
over the shell. IIRC that shell is pretty brittle. I'd worry about
cracking.

--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Old December 11th 04, 05:11 AM
Ian Rogers

wrote:

If you're making a ring, use something for the backing that won't rust or
corrode. Any
ring is exposed to perspiration.

One friend of mine uses old credit cards as build up stock behind thinner
cabs, or when
even thicker is needed, old CDs. She's got a stack of those CDs that AOL
sends out all
the time trying to get people to sign up with them. they cut just fine
with a jewelers
saw and coarser blade, while the credit cards work fine with just snips...
A few
decades ogo, I recall seeing old vinyl phonograph records apparently used
the same way
in American Indian jewelry (though sawdust seemed more common and
traditional)

Peter

Goddamn, that's brilliant!! :O)

~ Ian

Old December 12th 04, 01:52 AM
Lamedeer

Hello Peter,

I see that you are still running a good old boys club.

Art

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:08:01 -0800, in h=07=F5 "Ian Rogers" irogers@ma=

knet.com wrote:
=20
=20

Old December 12th 04, 01:56 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:52:09 -0800, in lõ Lamedeer wrote:

Hello Peter,

I see that you are still running a good old boys club.

Art

So... a a posting wherein I mention a method used by a friend of mine, who happens to
be rather young (26), and (trust me on this) very attractively female, gets me told I'm
running a "good ol boys club"? I'm afraid I don't get it...

Peter

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:08:01 -0800, in h=07=F5 "Ian Rogers" irogers@ma=

knet.com wrote: