Pecan Pie recipe

Old January 12th 11, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Pecan Pie recipe

nice to be in good company. I like pecans and walnuts but don't like them
in pie. good luck at
the doctors office.
Taria
"Butterflywings" wrote in message
Move over, you aren't alone. I can't EAT Pecans or Walnuts.

Butterfly (off for another Dr visit)

"Taria" wrote in message
I think I am the only one in the world that doesn't like
pecan pie. It might be the only pie I don't like. You
guys are going to have to eat my share and yours!
Taria
"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
Most recipes seem to need Karo syrup. But since I live in a Karo-free
zone (Germany), I like this recipe. It has NEVER failed.

1 cup sugar (I sometimes use half and half brown and white)
2 beaten eggs
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
1 cup pecans (I usually use about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup raisins (definitely optional! But this is really good using
dried cranberries or chopped candied ginger.)

Melt the butter in the milk. Spread nuts and fruit in the unbaked pie
shell (see below). Beat sugar and eggs into the milk mixture and pour
over the nuts/fruit. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. cool before
serving.

Pie crust:
6 tablespoons butter
1-2 tablespoons sugar (If you want to use this for e.g. a quiche,
leave out the sugar and give it a pinch of salt instead.)
1 cup flour (Place a tablespoon of cornstarch in the bottom of the cup
before measuring -makes a lighter pastry.)
Cut these ingredients together (or use a food processor) until it
resembles fine crumbs. Then add just enough cold water to hold it
together. The dough shouldn't be sticky. The amount of water depends
very much on humidity -sorry! But a spoonful is usually enough in my
humid climate.
Let the dough rest for half an hour before you roll it out.

Roberta in D

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:33:07 -0700, Mary O'Neill
wrote:

My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie.
The only recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe
if anyone has one.

To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
I've only been mending. I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.

Old January 12th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Taria" wrote in message
I think I am the only one in the world that doesn't like
pecan pie. It might be the only pie I don't like. You
guys are going to have to eat my share and yours!
Taria

Oh, thank goodness there's someone else! The first time I tried it I was so
disappointed. Years later I tried again, because folks assured me I had
just had a bad one. Nope - the same.

Iris

Old January 12th 11, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX[_2_]

I too don't like regular pecan pie; OTH, I do like pecans.

Are you going to post the tart recipe?

Bev in TX

On 1/12/11 10:46 AM, Sandy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

I think I am the only one in the world that doesn't like
pecan pie. It might be the only pie I don't like. You
guys are going to have to eat my share and yours!
Taria

No, Taria, I don't like traditional pecan pie, either. Something about
that jelly-like syrup base just doesn't make it for me. However, I do
have a recipe for little pecan tarts (no Karo!, no syrup-y stuff) that
makes me drool just to think about them.

Old January 13th 11, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

_In theory_ you are supposed to be able to substitute golden syrup,
measure for measure. Honey is also supposed to work measure for measure,
but it is a LOT sweeter than simple corn syrup. Sweet as a pecan pie is,
I would think hard about trying to cut back some of the other sugar if I
was using honey as my syrup.

I am guessing that since pecans are native to North America they are
probably pretty dear abroad. In years when pecans were a bit scarce this
far north, I have seen (or done a couple of times) walnuts or walnuts
laced with crushed brazils used instead of pecans. It is not the same,
but needs as must on my dad's birthday. The brazils are a good add since
they give back a bit of the richness you miss by using a nut other than
pecans.

NightMiste

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old January 13th 11, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

Default Happy birthday, Shirley! was: Pecan Pie recipe

On Jan 12, 8:04*pm, "Taria" wrote:
...and from here in So. Cal. too! *Happy Birthday Shirley! *Woohoo to 75
years.
Taria

Ditto from me, Shirley!!! what a milestone! i hope i live so long!
Happy belated from me!
amy in SoCal
Old January 13th 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Unfortunately brazils make my throat itch, or I'd try it! The
Karo-free recipe is actually tastier IMO. And a local store has
started carrying pecans, most of the time at least. Or maybe the
Germans just aren't buying them, and we foreigners are the only
customers! But I'm training up a corps of pecan pie fans -everybody
who eats mine wants the recipe. I sure don't want the store to stop
stocking them.
Roberta in D

Old January 14th 11, 11:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX[_2_]

Sandy,

That must have been disappointing to you :-(.

I tried searching for pecan tarts without Karo syrup and found the
following. Do any of these match what you remember?

No sugar at all (diabetic?; low carb?):
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1613,...231207,00.html
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4pqpqpt

Vegan version with dates and just a little syrup:
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/desserts/pecan-j.html
OR: http://tinyurl.com/47pb4fu

Brown sugar with 1-egg:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pecan-Tarts
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4hmu6c5

Brown sugar with 4-eggs:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,166,1...235199,00.html
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4dp66se

Brown sugar & some honey -- no eggs; picture does not look like regular
Pecan pie:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re... 000001673199
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4almbws

Brown sugar -- no eggs
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/tiny-p...ts/Detail.aspx
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4hzxqeh

Bev in TX

On 1/12/11 4:31 PM, Sandy wrote:
Bev, I just went to look for it to share, and I can't believe it -- it's
missing! I've searched my computer files, my physical files, everything.
I can't find it anywhere. I'll admit that I haven't made these tarts in
some time, but I don't understand how I could have lost this recipe. ((

Old January 14th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Well, they are where you live! A few years ago, before that store got
the idea and I had to import all my pecans, I decided to use them to
decorate chocolate chip cookies for a potluck party (chocolate chips
are still hard to find here). The idea was that anybody with a nut
allergy could easily see the nuts. One American man at the party
picked up a cookie, held it reverently for a moment, whispered
"Pecans!", then nibbled all around the edge so he could save the good
part for last :-) We seldom get that much respect for our cooking!
Roberta in D

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:52:47 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

That's such a surprise to me. I guess I thought pecans were as common as
salt. Polly

.. .

Old January 14th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX[_2_]

Per Wikipdeia ...

"Today, the U.S. produces between 80% and 95% of the world's pecans,
with an annual crop of 150–200 thousand tons.[9] The nut harvest for
growers is typically around mid-October. Historically, the leading
pecan-producing state in the U.S. has been Georgia, followed by Texas,
New Mexico and Oklahoma; they are also grown in Arizona, South Carolina
and Hawaii.

Outside the United States, pecans are grown in Australia, Brazil, China,
Israel, Mexico, Peru and South Africa. They can be grown approximately
from USDA hardiness zones 5 to 9, provided summers are also hot and humid."

Happily for us, we have some pecan trees on our property and there are
several pecan groves in our area. However, the entire statye of TX has
had drought for most of 2010, so the pecan crop from TX will probably be
light this year.

Bev in TX