The Beadmakers Liberation Front

Old February 12th 04, 11:16 PM
KDK

I was just thinking about this the other day. At first I thought of shadow
boxes, but I'm not sure that's what I want to use. I'm still pondering.

Kathy K
"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
I didn't realize that I was a bead collector until quite recently when
I opened my artist bead container and lovingly fondled the beads, only
to close it up again while releasing a sigh of bliss and satisfaction.
Now I'll have to figure out how best to display all those wonderful
pieces of art glass.

How would YOU display them? How DO you display them?

I was thinking of putting some of my best ones in a small shadowbox type

frame.
I think I'll mount them on peyote stitch of single-color, matte 11s

covering
the entire back surface.
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old February 12th 04, 11:39 PM
Dr. Sooz

Found this just now, cruising around on eBay for display ideas......

http://snipurl.com/4gu9
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 12th 04, 11:40 PM
Helen Page

Kandice Seeber wrote:

Issue #1, which was brought up by someone else (thank goodness,
otherwise I would be too afraid to post my thoughts) - 99 cent
auctions are not always about perceived value. I have said this
before and I will say it again - I post 99 cent bead sets on ebay to
reduce ebay fees, and because I have confidence that my beads will
get a good price. I have only been disappointed once or twice. eBay
is an auction house, *not* a retail outlet. It's a game to many
cusotmers. People do need to ba a little more lenient about price,
but I *do* understand the need to ask for prices you can accept. That
means when you list something, you need to be ready for what the
market decides to do with it. So admonishing people for listing at 99
cents or 9.99 or 99.99 or what have you, is really not something that
I see as good. A couple of artists have actually been named here in
this thread, and some have been alluded to. That's not fair.

Speaking as a buyer I agree with you here. Sure, if I see an item that's
worth say $50 and the artist prices it at $22 I think maybe the artist
doesn't value it much. If however they start it at 99c I think the artist is
very confident in their work, because they're obviously pretty sure that
people will see the quality and bid it up to somewhere near it's full value.

Old February 12th 04, 11:56 PM
Arondelle

Margie wrote:

You are right! I was looking and oh my...am I the only one that finds
some of the curio cabinets tacky?

And, dangerous.... ;o)

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net
Visit Arondelle's Dream Worlds at: http://www.arondelle.com
Read my Blog: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/arondelle/index.html

Old February 12th 04, 11:56 PM
Dr. Sooz

You could line this box/case with black felt....
http://snipurl.com/4gue
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 13th 04, 12:07 AM
Kaytee

In article , Margie
writes:

I did see one I liked that is made
from rosewood, an open table top design, I liked the feeling of space.

I think I was discussing this type of thing with Cheryl, not too long ago....
When I was in Okinawa, the "in" display thingy was a hibachi table, with the
copper-lined box used as the display area, and a glass or plexiglass piece cut
to fit to replace the original top. Common items in the displays: sea shells on
beach sand, chopstick rests on rice, origami figures, temari.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old February 13th 04, 12:17 AM
Dr. Sooz

When I was in Okinawa, the "in" display thingy was a hibachi table, with the
copper-lined box used as the display area, and a glass or plexiglass piece
cut
to fit to replace the original top. Common items in the displays: sea shells
on
beach sand, chopstick rests on rice

That sounds cool.....but I've never heard of a hibachi table. What is that?
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 13th 04, 02:38 AM
Christina Peterson

Tink, the thing that got me, is that I hear an undercurrent from some bead
makers, especially if they don't make sets, that they are THE artist. (Tink,
I'm not aiming this at you, it just happens that you wrote the words that I
am making this response to)

As a beader, beads are components, raw materials. A bead can be a spacer
or a work of art. The good thing about that is that more people want
jewelry than want collectible beads. That means that for most bead makers,
beaders are their best customers. I think bead makers should appreciate
beaders, and want them to be able to make enough of a profit to stay in
business and keep buying their beads.

We beadworkers buy lampwork because we appreciate and want tosupport of
lampworkers, as well as to procuce a good product, of course. I just want
bead makers we buy from to be appreciative and supportive of us too.

Tina

"Tinkster" wrote in message
What I meant about the "not to turn into jewelry to resell for a
profit" comment was that a lot of my lampwork ends up in pieces made
as gifts.

So let me try again. LOL! Most of my beads end up as standalone
collectibles, quite a few end up in designs destined to be special
gifts and the smallest number are incorporated into jewelry designs
that are sold.

Sometimes I'm not very good at expressing myself. :-)

Tink

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:47:15 -0600, Margie
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:10:16 GMT, Tinkster
wrote:

This is a really important point. The vast majority of my customers
buy my beads to collect and display, not to turn into jewelry. And not
to turn into jewelry to resell for a profit.

I didn't realize that I was a bead collector until quite recently when
I opened my artist bead container and lovingly fondled the beads, only
to close it up again while releasing a sigh of bliss and satisfaction.
Now I'll have to figure out how best to display all those wonderful
pieces of art glass.

With that said, I am also a jewelry maker. Creating a piece
incorporating an artist bead whether it's yours or another of my
favorite artist's is an act of inspiration, introspection and respect.
If I choose to sell my creation, it would be a disservice to myself
and to the artist to sell it for no profit IMO. Art takes many forms
and there's nothing disrespectful about making money from it.

Old February 13th 04, 03:12 AM
Christina Peterson

Sounds nice.

Mom, who has much more art than wall space, rotates the work on her walls.
You could do the same with your presentation boxes. You could make
backgrounds of peyoted matte mixes. Dull pinks with grey, slate blues with
grey, etc, that would work with several beads (or maybe fabric instread).
They make suitable glassed in boxes -- often sold to keep war medals and
such.

And there are acrylic stands. I'm pretty sure I've seen some advertised
that have a vertical metal post for putting beads on. And I have a metal
stand that holds a specimen/gem/bead at about a 22 degree angle, that looks
like a C with two screws.

I have a few beads that hang -- over the bed, in a window.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote

I'm hoping to do a gridwork mounting of the frames -- like a more

spaced-out
sheet of postage stamps, you know? All together, evenly, on a wall

somewhere.
Probably two rows, horizontally, so they're visible and easy to view for

most
heights.

Each frame to hold one bead! Eeeeeeee! (I'll do lampwork sets, if any,

with
another display treatment....though those usually beg to be made into

jewelry,
don't they?) The backgrounds inside the frames will be as plain as I can

get
them....a single-color peyote stitched matte-bead surface. Undistracting,

the
color will be something to show off the bead itself -- a dull color, but
complementary to the bead's predominant color. (Is this making visual

sense so
far?) A pale golden bead will have a muted lavender-grey background, for
instance.

Old February 13th 04, 03:41 AM
Tinkster

I've sensed that a lot of lampworkers don't "let go" of a piece once
it's sold. Does that make sense? I think it's kind of what you're
talking about. It hasn't been an issue for me because, in my case,
it's not even about the beads I make, it's about "doing glass". Being
as distanced as I am from jewelry-making contributes to that, too.

But I do know what you mean. That some beadmakers feel a sense of
ownership (maybe not the right word) and more of an investment in the
finished work of jewelry designers wherein their beads are used.

Damn. Bad grammar or something there, but you get my point. LOL!

Tink