About those Flying Geese

Old April 25th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default About those Flying Geese

Flying Geese units are fun. They can be used
as borders, fillers, or in a flock as a block.

Right now I am making some for two different
projects. I am using the method of a large
square which becomes the geese, plus four
small squares which end up as the side
triangles. This method makes four geese. I am
cutting one 5" and four 3" squares per set;
each goose unit is 5" by 2.5" unfinished.

I would like to make these in various sizes.
Is there a chart with the measurements for
cutting other sizes?

Thanks Bunches.
PAT in VA/USA
Old April 25th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pat in Virginia wrote:
I would like to make these in various sizes. Is there a chart with the
measurements for cutting other sizes?

No chart, but this site does give a formula
http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old April 25th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pat in Virginia wrote:
I would like to make these in various sizes. Is there a chart with the
measurements for cutting other sizes?

http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html

Uses the method you're using. Not a chart, but a formula (which is just
as good).

Hope that helps.

--

blackrosequilts
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old April 25th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you very much, Julia. Cool site ... and
now I have it book marked. I also sent the
link to our guild newsletter editor. She
publishes info like that. It is fun to see
what other people find 'out there in cyber
space!' G
PAT

Old April 25th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Thank you very much, Julia. Cool site ... and now I have it book marked.
I also sent the link to our guild newsletter editor.

Good idea -- that would be a good one to put into our newsletter. Links
to interesting websites make good filler material.

Old April 25th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That's the one I'm using for our Block Party next month!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old April 25th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That's Patti Anderson's site. She is a real EQ wizz too - I have learnt lots
from her!
Cheers for now
Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa

Old April 25th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pat the exact measurements for these a
Large square, the finished long side measurement plus 1 1/4"
Small squares, finished short side measurement plus 7/8"

remember, the large square becomes quarter square triangles, the small
ones become half square triangles so it is the same formulas for
figuring those out. G

That said, I always seem to have problems with at least one of the 4 not
coming out "right". So I add a quarter inch to the long measurement and
an eighth inch to the short measurement and figure from there. Then I
can trim as needed. But I am thinking about adding a bit more to the
small squares, because I would rather trim than be short and the other
way is not quite there....

Pati, in Phx

Old April 26th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

hey Pat,
ah Flying Geese, my very favourite quilt block/unit.
honk, honk!!!
i too use the no waste method.
the first time i did about 150 in a weekend just kept chain cutting, sewing,
ironing, cutting, sewing, ironing and soon as a flash i was all done.
tho your numbers confuse me a bit.....
an unfinished 5 x 2.5 inch will give you a 4.5 x 2 inch FG.
this is odd as FG should be half as wide as it is long or vice versa
depending on how you look at it.
the easiest way is to decide the finished size first.
then use long side +1.25" for the big sq
and use the short side +7/8" for the four small sqs.
this is assuming you sew good scant 1/4" seams.
if not you can increase the size of those a wee bit to suit and trim.
i just hate trimming so i take care with those scant seams.
good luck and i for one would love to see them all finished when your done.
honk honk!!!
cheers,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Pat in Virginia" wrote...

Old April 26th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jeanne:
I KNEW this would catch your attention!! G
You are right ... the dimensions I gave are a
tad off. (That's what I get for measuring in
a hurry, in low light!) I just measured
again. The raw size is 5" by 2.75" ....
finishes to 4.5" by 2.25" .... that is the
proportion you mentioned.

It will be quite a while before the main
group is finished, as I have no deadline. So
far I have 25. Those will eventually be a
quilt or maybe borders for another project. I
am using Autumn color way and coc scraps. The
lesser group are meant to be included as
filler in a BOM currently under way, so I am
using my BOM fabric. I am not sure how many
I'll need; I've made 16. Left over will go
into the Autumn Geese group. That top should
be finished by end of year. For both of these
projects, I just do a couple every time I
have the SM going for some thing else.
Honk! PAT in VA/USA

Flying Geese problems frood Quilting 27 September 7th 05 06:01 PM
flying geese direction AliceW Quilting 11 January 3rd 05 07:30 PM
flying geese and pressing Sandy Foster Quilting 4 January 1st 05 09:34 AM
Flying geese made easy! No waste! Check out my tutorial Terbear Quilting 19 June 23rd 04 04:56 AM
As requested...pic of flying geese heart Jalynne Quilting 5 January 11th 04 01:07 AM