OT OOOOOO empty place

Old September 7th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

Default OT Thyroid discussion

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:48:59 -0500, "Shillelagh" spewed
forth :

"hesira" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi Wooly,

I'm thinking about you. Glad you have a good endocrinologist who'll
treat you right. I'm staring down the same barrel, but it hasn't
happened yet. Do you mind if I ask how long you've been hypo, and what
treatment you are taking? I thought that once you were on synthetic
thyroid hormone, things got so much better.

Here's hoping,

Hesira

I didn't realize how scary hypo is until I read your & Wooly's posts. My
symptoms were very mild (I think).

Every body is different. RAI induced hypothyroidism is a permanent
thing requiring lifetime thyroid replacement. Maybe you got lucky and
your hypothyroidism was a temporary thing. Next time you see your doc
ask for a full thyroid workup and see what the results are - it can't
hurt to ask and you might save yourself $5/mo on the medication

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old September 8th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Eastern Edge

Default OT OOOOOO empty place

YarnWright wrote:
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 20:23:32 GMT, Mirjam Bruck-Cohen spun a fine yarn

This Ng is Empty ?
mirjam
---

Mirjam,
So far, Georgia, Hesira, Judy, Wooly, and I have responded.
We're all HERE, present and accounted for, grin!
Noreen

Oh, me, too, just busy!

Michelle

Old September 8th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Wooly" wrote in message

(Shelagh wrote)
I didn't realize how scary hypo is until I read your & Wooly's posts. My
symptoms were very mild (I think).

(Wooly wrote)
Every body is different. RAI induced hypothyroidism is a permanent
thing requiring lifetime thyroid replacement. Maybe you got lucky and
your hypothyroidism was a temporary thing. Next time you see your doc
ask for a full thyroid workup and see what the results are - it can't
hurt to ask and you might save yourself $5/mo on the medication

My doctor tests me regularly for it and says I'm on the meds for the rest of
my life. ;P

I don't worry about the costs of most meds since both DH & I have benefit
plans and we are usually 100% covered. Even when mine ends in 3.5 years, I
will still be 80% covered by his.

Shelagh

Old September 8th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

You know, Shelagh,

It's funny how many things you don't realize are wrong, until they
start to get better. I had all sorts of strange problems before my
symptoms got bad enough to go to the doctor. Once I got on meds, and
had my thyroid irradiated, lots of those little things were resolved.

Hesira

Shillelagh wrote:
Hesira

I didn't realize how scary hypo is until I read your & Wooly's posts. My
symptoms were very mild (I think). 5 years ago I was trying very hard to
lose some weight. Lost 30 lbs, and then nothing. It didn't matter what I
did or ate, I was stuck. And this was no normal plateau. I was at the
doc's office for a check up or something and complained bitterly about the
stop in the weight loss. He sent me for blood tests and phoned me to tell
me I had it. I didn't have the fatigue and most of the other symptoms. I
was amazed - I had no clue. It took a while to regulate the dose of
thyroxin that I take (100 mcg). As I read the symptoms list, I realize that
I also have trouble concentrating, especially for reading a book - which I
used to love to do. I put that down to my age (I'm not getting any
younger). I guess my weight isn't the only reason for elevated cholesterol
and triglyceride levels. Bleah. So I'm on a statin for that. Double
bleah. My mom had hypo too, and I didn't know it until my sister informed
me when I first found out about having it.

As for the thyroxine, I take it because the doctor said I had to. I haven't
noticed one bit of difference in the way I feel. Go figure.

Hang in there my knitting friends. I hope all goes well with your health.

Shelagh

Old September 8th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Here they give something called
Eltroxin
mirjam

Old September 8th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Here they give something called
Eltroxin
mirjam

Good morning Mirjam!
Old September 8th 06, 09:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Doses Of Throid hormones aren`t related to your weight , but to
the level of your
TSH [it should be 0.35-5.5 mIU/L for a woman in her 60
and T4-free [it should be 10-20 pmoI/L for a woman in her 60
mirjam

On 7 Sep 2006 07:32:21 -0700, "hesira" spewed
forth :

Yikes! I"ve got Graves, too. I had RAI about a month ago, and didn't
have a storm. I felt a little worse for a while, but nothing I
couldn't handle. I've been feeling great for several weeks, but I'm
starting to slow down a little. I'm hoping the hypo won't be too bad,
and I can continue to function, but nobody said anything about slurred
speech or loss of fine motor control. I have a friend who just flew
through her Graves, after treatment of course. I guess everyone is
different.

If you're starting to slow down now is the time to ask your doc to
start you on replacement therapy, not in a month or two when you're
having the speech and coordination problems.

I knew that 50mcg wasn't going to be adequate, my doc knew it too.
Based on my current weight I'm thinking 100mcg ought to be adequate
once it kicks in, then I may be able to drop the dose slightly as I
start losing weight again. But we'll see; when I was slightly
hyperthyroid I felt fabulous and had plenty of energy, so I may need
to bump up to 125mcg or more before I start feeling "fabulous" again,
then gradually reduce the dose as I'm able to start losing weight
again.

I hope you get your dosage worked out soon. What a terrible drag.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks, and same to you

+++++++++++++

Old September 8th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 05:36:14 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Here they give something called
Eltroxin

Mirjam

Eltroxin is the same as Synthroid, made of levothyroxine. We couldn't
get doctors to help us with my hubby's hypo, and we ended up ordering
it from a foreign pharmacy. They are more limited in doses available
(usually only 50 or 100 mcg offered), but we get the 100 mcg Eltroxin
and make up his dose from that using a pill splitter.

In the US, you can import some medications, even if you get them
without a prescription (like we ended up doing), as long as they are
for personal use only, you get only 3 months worth at a time, and as
long as it's not a controlled substance (things with codeine and other
heavy duty pain killers or sleep aids like Ambien or anxiety meds like
Xanax). You can get controlled substances if you've got a valid
prescription.

No, we didn't self-diagnose hubby's hypo, he's been that way for 15
years. But the US health system has gone to the dogs, where you're
just a big fee coming in to most of them, and when we moved, we
couldn't find a good doc to work with us, and we ended up taking
things into our own hands while we look for a new doc.

FWIW, if synthetic thyroid doesn't help, they still make medicine from
actual thyroid called Armor Thyroid. My sister couldn't take the
synthetics, so they put her on Armor.

Also, with online pharmacies, you have to watch for bait and switch,
first order was $30 from a "Mexican" pharmacy (it shipped from India),
and when we went to reorder, they jacked the price up to $100 for the
same med in the same dose and quantity! Most online pharmacies charge
a flat $15 shipping fee, which isn't bad for international mail. Be
aware, though, that when you order from a foreign pharmacy it can take
a month to arrive, so reorder earlier than you would from other online
places. We've had good service from Pharmacy Geoff and RX2world.

Leah
Old September 8th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Leah" wrote in message

Also, with online pharmacies, you have to watch for bait and switch,
first order was $30 from a "Mexican" pharmacy (it shipped from India),
and when we went to reorder, they jacked the price up to $100 for the
same med in the same dose and quantity! Most online pharmacies charge
a flat $15 shipping fee, which isn't bad for international mail. Be
aware, though, that when you order from a foreign pharmacy it can take
a month to arrive, so reorder earlier than you would from other online
places. We've had good service from Pharmacy Geoff and RX2world.

Leah

Try some of the Canadian on-line pharmacies.

Shelagh

Old September 8th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:43:58 -0500, "Shillelagh" spewed
forth :

If (gods forbid) we lose our insurance coverage and have to start
paying OOP my thyroid replacement will be the cheapest thing on our
"family" drug list, I think. My copay for the 100mcg tabs was $3 -
that's at 30% patient pay, so my OOP would about $10.50 for 30 and
less if I could use the mail order service for the stuff. But until I
get my dose dialled in I'm a moving target...