London/belgravia district: yarn and fabric stores

Old September 5th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Kenneth

Default London/belgravia district: yarn and fabric stores

We too are in London 13 september-18th.
we are staying on Kinnerton Street in belgravia!

any suggestions about yarn and fabric (general, epecially dupioni silk)
stores in the vicinity?

it has been eons since i was last in London so i don't know anywhere
from anything about districts etc.

But it would be nice to shop for yarns for weaving, sewing, quilting
liturgical colors stuff (red, blue, green, white, purple)!

Old September 6th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Fey

Hi Ken,
This link has some interesting and informative stuff about London and
fabric/textiles.
http://www.planetpatchwork.com/travel/london.htm
Cheers,
Fay

Old September 6th 06, 10:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Marion Bowles

Kenneth wrote:
We too are in London 13 september-18th.
we are staying on Kinnerton Street in belgravia!

any suggestions about yarn and fabric (general, epecially dupioni silk)
stores in the vicinity?

it has been eons since i was last in London so i don't know anywhere
from anything about districts etc.

But it would be nice to shop for yarns for weaving, sewing, quilting
liturgical colors stuff (red, blue, green, white, purple)!

I was in London Last week, Liberty's not a patch on it's former self but
lots of cottons, John Lewis the same, but walk down Berwick street,on
the edge of Soho,two great shops for silks and 3 or 4 other fabric
shops,and loads of wholesale ribbon/ sequin type shops.The area is
perfectly safe by day, but full of strip clubs in that part at night.
Old September 6th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bogmyrtle

"Kenneth" wrote in message
ups.com...
We too are in London 13 september-18th.
we are staying on Kinnerton Street in belgravia!

any suggestions about yarn and fabric (general, epecially dupioni silk)
stores in the vicinity?

it has been eons since i was last in London so i don't know anywhere
from anything about districts etc.

But it would be nice to shop for yarns for weaving, sewing, quilting
liturgical colors stuff (red, blue, green, white, purple)!

You'd be lucky ..... nobody knits in London anymore ...if you're in to
cardmaking you might have a chance but not a lot else ...

Old September 6th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Sparky

"You'd be lucky ..... nobody knits in London anymore ...if you're in to

cardmaking you might have a chance but not a lot else ... "

Wow, not my experience at all, at all. Try John Lewis for fabric and
there are various little wool shops dotted around. One very good one
in Crystal Palace. . . .can't remember the name of it.

Old September 6th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"Kenneth" skrev i melding
ups.com ...
We too are in London 13 september-18th.
we are staying on Kinnerton Street in belgravia!

Last time I went to London (January), I searched for yarn stores.
I went to Liberty's and John Lewis,because I most time was in the
center, but was not VERY impressed...
At home I had found this link, but I think I have seen it here lately?
http://www.loop.gb.com/shop.html
This is in the North, and I never got there, but it looks interesting.
They sell online too.

I mailed Collinette to get addresses, and here is the answer (Jan.
2006):
COLLINETTE:
Our largest suppliers in London are
Mimi Hollander
The Good Yarn Store
35a Belsize Park Gardens
London
NW3 4JJ

Telephone: 0207 586 5527

Maria Riachy
Domaqaya
20 The Boltons
London
SW10 9SU

(Loop
41 Cross Street
London
N1 2BB)

I also found Rowan Yarns in London, and I take these shops have other
yarns too:
https://www.knitrowan.com/html/stock...ited%20Kingdom
May be you are near one of these?
Aud ;-)

Old September 7th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Hanne Gottliebsen

Sparky wrote:
"You'd be lucky ..... nobody knits in London anymore ...if you're in to

cardmaking you might have a chance but not a lot else ... "

Wow, not my experience at all, at all. Try John Lewis for fabric and
there are various little wool shops dotted around. One very good one
in Crystal Palace. . . .can't remember the name of it.

Liberty also has quite a bit of wool - my Mum has bought stuff for at
least two sweaters there.

Hanne in London
Old September 9th 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bogmyrtle

"Sparky" wrote in message
ups.com...
"You'd be lucky ..... nobody knits in London anymore ...if you're in to

cardmaking you might have a chance but not a lot else ... "

Wow, not my experience at all, at all. Try John Lewis for fabric and
there are various little wool shops dotted around. One very good one
in Crystal Palace. . . .can't remember the name of it.

If you find a wool shop that can afford the rent in Belgravia please let
me know .There is no such thing I'm sad to say ... Take the train to Elstree
( the Hollywood of UK ) and by the Church on the mainstreet you will indeed
find a very good woolshop that sells anything from Rowan and Jaeger yarn to
acrylic cheap cheap stuff . Anything for embroidery and cardmaking
...beading ..lace ...ribbons by the mile
Just like an oldfashioned haberdashery shop ...