Making a ballgown for the first time

Old January 12th 04, 08:00 AM
lee

Default Making a ballgown for the first time

I am making a ballgown for a dancer in college competitions. I am
designing it. I have 3 saris to work with as well as several yards of
cream charmeuse and a magenta scarf for wings. I am not opposed to
buying more material if need be. Each sari one has as the base color
cream, with one edge magenta and the other turquoise. They are a
chiffon with satin brocaded paisleys. The end pieces are just
lightweight brocade. Two pretty match (mirror images actually) and the
other has a different paisley pattern. So, to work with I have 2
matching 40 inch pieces of paisly brocade, one 40 inch piece of
paisley brocade, 2 matching 5 yard chiffon/brocade pieces and one 5
yard chiffon/brocade piece.

I am thinking of making the skirt separate from the top. I can cut the
2 long pieces into narrow trapezoids to make 2 slightly more than
circle (just over 1 and a third chircles)skirts, one with a turquoise
hem and one with a magenta hem. I am thinking of making the skirts
with 11 panels each.

That leaves all the solid brocade pieces and the 5 yard piece out for
a top. I could use the 5 yards for godets or make sleeves or wings to
match. Any suggestions? Nothing has been cut so nothing is final. I
have the concept drawing he
http://www.pyrzqxgl.org/%7Elee/ballgown.jpg
Old January 13th 04, 09:32 AM
Tatiana

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
The Cow Goddess wrote:

and base it on a leotard pattern.

........ --
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Yes, this is the first and may be the most important part: these things are
based on a leotard (or one-piece swim suit) pattern, i.e. they have
"panties" inside, so no matter how you move everything is in place and
secure.

Tatiana

Old January 13th 04, 03:08 PM
Charlotte

Tatiana wrote:

Yes, this is the first and may be the most important part: these things are
based on a leotard (or one-piece swim suit) pattern, i.e. they have
"panties" inside, so no matter how you move everything is in place and
secure.

Tatiana

I think it must be regional.

Here in the Northwest USA I hear that the leotard-based dresses are
considered old fashioned. The trend is towards simpler frocks with dance
trunks (like we wear in the ballet) underneath.

I recently "made" a ballgown for a colleague at my office. She wanted to
use the beaded bodice from the wedding gown she opted against. We
removed the floorlength train and replaced it with one skirt in ivory
satin and two overskirts of palest pink chiffon.

Definately no feathers, no wings, no spandex, no more than 2 tasteful
colors.

-Charlotte

Old January 13th 04, 07:27 PM
velma929

I have heard of the move away from bodysuits toward dress and
knickers, but have not seen that here in the northeast. The knit
fabric for the dress will allow her to move better, whether the
bodysuit is built in or not. That being said, it is possible. Your
rendering looks like a one piece dress, though. If you make a top
separate, maybe you can design it so it comes down past her actual
waist 4-5". (So when she elongates her body into one of those
beautiful positions, her bodice and skirt don't part company in the
middle) Actually, you could attach the top to a bodysuit at the
neckline edge, if you wanted to. Get some specifications from your
college competitor, though. I can see a lot of work will go into that
circle skirt, and I think there is a rule in college comps about skirt
length. If it's too long, the judges can't see her footwork. The
chiffon "wings" you refer to, are those what are usually called
"floats?"

AD: Fabulous New Lampworker on Ebay Black Cat Beads Beads 95 September 9th 04 02:52 AM
Panic Attack Time starlia Beads 76 March 14th 04 02:39 AM
Maybe....(not off topic but long) Karlee in Kansas Quilting 13 October 31st 03 11:35 PM
Time to unlurk Lisa Caryl Beads 45 August 21st 03 06:48 PM
Terribly OT opinions requested... Karlee in Kansas Beads 142 July 30th 03 01:50 AM