handles

Old August 26th 04, 04:20 AM
Slgraber

as an avid trash picker i once found a BUNCH of dry cleaner bags in the trash
bin of a clothing store.

apparently they got a shipment of new clothing and after removing the bags
threw them out.

once i run out of the bags (this was 7 years ago) i'll try going in the FRONT
door and schedule a visit the next time they expect new material to come in.

see ya

steve

Subject: handles
Date: 8/24/2004 6:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time
I use the plastic from drycleaned clothes. Also an old plastic drop sheet
for painting cut up into different sized pieces.
Simon
"Steve Mills" wrote in message
Cling film/wrap is a potters best friend!

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Marmaj40
writes
Thanks for the tips. I live in Oregon, and in the winter I don't need a

"damp"
box----Oregon IS a damp box, but in the summer when it is hot, I just

need to
be patient, and wrap. Thanks.

--
Steve Mills
Bath

steve graber
Old August 30th 04, 09:23 PM
D Kat

I think I forgot to tell you a tip I just learned. Paint wax on the joints
of where you join one piece to another after you join them. That will slow
down the drying. Donna

Old August 31st 04, 02:44 AM
Marmaj40

thanks, Donna, I learned to do that in my beginning class, and I have been
doing that. When making the handle you you all make it at the same time you
make the cup, etc. or do you wait until the piece is leather hard, and trimmed?
Then attach it and put wax on / and then wrap all together?II

Old September 1st 04, 08:35 PM
D Kat

I wait until my piece is hard enough to handle without warping it (somewhat
softer than leather and up to leather hard), and then pull the handles. I
actually prefer my handles pulled on the pieces now. If you haven't done it
or seen it - Basically take a partially pulled handle that is about 3" long
and attach to the piece and then pull from there. I then let the handle sit
up a but (dry while I work on others or do something else - not long), wax
it and the wrap it up even if I put it in the damp closet.

Donna

Old September 3rd 04, 01:34 PM
Brad Panek

When attaching handles I score both ends with a wire brush and then
apply vinegar. My Ceramics teacher recommended vinegar and it works
great. I'm not sure why but it helps bind the pieces and the stick
well. Any type of vinegar will do. After attaching the handle I place
the whole piece into a plastic bag and forget about it for at least a
week, then remove from the bag and let it dry.

Old September 3rd 04, 04:12 PM
Marmaj40

I must tell you all that I am about to bisque a piece with a handle. I'm happy
to say that there is not a single crack because I used vinegar, painted the
handle with wax and put it in a wrap of drycleaner bag material for 3 days.
Thank you all for all the advice. I just have to learn to be patient. Some
things you just can't rush.
Martha

turning old silverware into kitchen pull handles terry Jewelry 6 June 5th 04 04:59 PM
pulled handles sandi Pottery 3 April 21st 04 03:13 PM
Question on attaching mug handles Beowulf Pottery 5 January 2nd 04 10:14 AM
Handles Cecilia Wian Pottery 1 August 8th 03 04:45 AM
tips on handles GaSeku Pottery 8 July 17th 03 07:51 AM