Ancient Cromartie Test Kiln

Old August 13th 04, 03:54 PM
Roz Lacey

Default Ancient Cromartie Test Kiln

(Potter in UK) Someone kindly gave me a small but very old Cromartie test
kiln. They thought I could use it as a test kiln and for enamel and onglaze
work. It looks in good condition and switching it on produces enormous
heat, so I guess the elements are OK. The problem is I can't open it. It
needs a special key which looks similar to a scaffolding key. I have
enquired about a key but the price quoted is £40 including postage, which
makes it prohibitive to open up and then find the kiln is useless. Just
thought there might be someone out there who chucked their kiln long ago but
still has a key hanging around. Also anyone with a knowledge of this kiln.
It is number 456, model TK9 -KW3, phase 1 & N, voltage 240, date August
1977. Has anyone ever owned one ?. What was it like - was it expensive to
run etc. I have been in touch with Cromartie, but they were totally
disinterested. They had no knowledge of that kiln - it no longer existed
and I was summarily dismissed. Potters do seem to live a long time, or took
up pottery at a young age, so I am hoping someone can help.
Gawds tooth !!!- 1977 wasn't that long ago, its just the way Cromartie made
me feel.

Roz

Old August 13th 04, 04:24 PM
Slgraber

maybe a local locksmith can break the lock & disable it ~ for less the the £40
quote you got for a key.

steve

Subject: Ancient Cromartie Test Kiln

Old August 13th 04, 11:08 PM
annemarie

"Slgraber" wrote in message
maybe a local locksmith can break the lock & disable it ~ for less the the

£40
quote you got for a key.

steve

Exactly what I was going to suggest )

Old August 15th 04, 12:02 AM
Steve Mills

If the key-lock involves a metal *tongue* sticking out from the door in
order for the key to mate with the lock, the problem can be solved with
either a hacksaw or (my preference) an angle-grinder. The locking
mechanism isolated the power when unlocked, so separating them in the
above fashion won't harm the kiln's operation.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Roz Lacey
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old August 17th 04, 04:37 PM
Roz Lacey

I think I will get someone to attack it but because of the heat generated, I
can understand why it was kept locked. The key area is acthually a sort of
inverted circular area, about 2" in diameter, with 'CK' on it. How can I
close it in safety, after sawing the lock off ? As I am only used to my
own safe hobby kiln with controller, where can I get details of how to use
this test kiln ?. As said previously, 'Cromartie' weren't helpful at all.
The kiln was rescued from amongst the rubble of a demolished school and it
looks as if it has been almost unused. Too good to waste.
Many thanks for all the helpful advice and I am hoping for more ?

Old August 27th 04, 11:39 PM
Rich Grise

Roz Lacey top-posted:

I think I will get someone to attack it but because of the heat generated,
can understand why it was kept locked. The key area is acthually a sort
of
inverted circular area, about 2" in diameter, with 'CK' on it. How can I
close it in safety, after sawing the lock off ? As I am only used to my
own safe hobby kiln with controller, where can I get details of how to use
this test kiln ?. As said previously, 'Cromartie' weren't helpful at all.
The kiln was rescued from amongst the rubble of a demolished school and it
looks as if it has been almost unused. Too good to waste.
Many thanks for all the helpful advice and I am hoping for more ?

Have you tried just picking the lock? It can be surprisingly easy.
Or a 1/2" drill, and you might be able to save the bolt.

Good Luck!
Rich

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
If the key-lock involves a metal *tongue* sticking out from the door in
order for the key to mate with the lock, the problem can be solved with
either a hacksaw or (my preference) an angle-grinder. The locking
mechanism isolated the power when unlocked, so separating them in the
above fashion won't harm the kiln's operation.

Important - Please beware of a company called Bohle Eric Russell Glass 2 August 23rd 04 07:46 PM
Kiln Paranoia! Zander Pottery 4 May 11th 04 01:50 AM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM