Watch Band suggestions?

Old April 13th 04, 09:01 PM
Marisa Exter

Default Watch Band suggestions?

vj,

I've been doing stuff with watches lately too and it is so fun! (It stinks
though that there is so little room for the design of the "watch band" once you
take out room for the watch face and the clasp!).

I don't really understand what you mean about having the pin go through beads.
Could you explain?

The way I did mine was, I made the pin myself, with eye-wholes on each end, and
put the stringing material through that.

I wish I could help more but probably I'll just learn from other people's
answers.

marisa2

vj wrote:

for watches with "pins" to hold the band on.

i've made one for myself, but . . .

i have the Delicas for the pin to go through.
any suggestions before i start this project?

the lady in question picked out the beads. i'm going to be using
tourmaline chips, fluorite beads, and rhodonite beads. what i need
suggestions for most is how to connect and make pretty to the beads
that hold the pin.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Old April 13th 04, 09:42 PM
Valerie

i have the Delicas for the pin to go through.
any suggestions before i start this project?

Ok...it is going to be a strung project? From what I gather you are going to
put Delicas on the pin itself right? So what I would do is string your beads,
put on a crimp and where the plain loop would go add enough Delicas on the loop
to wrap over the pin and thread back through a Delica then then the crimp and
crimp as usual. If you use a crimping tool instead of just mashing it the crimp
should blend in relatively well.
Is that what you need?

Valerie
http://www.valeriebeads.com
RCB FAQ: http://www.valeriebeads.com/FAQ.html
Check out my site for the RCB Member Links! E-mail me for details on
submission!

Old April 13th 04, 11:09 PM
Marisa Exter

Celine,

I am having trouble visualizing this.

Do you maybe have a reference to a picture?

How is the bead strung between the jump rings?
Where does the rest of the beaded strand connect to, the end of the jump-rings?

Thanks!

Marisa2

Saw an interesting treatment of this from Kate McKinnon a couple of years ago.
She strung 2 jump rings with a bead between them at each end of the band. The
pins go thru the jump rings. I talked to her about the technique, and she says
she likes it because it makes swapping out bands relatively easy (if you have a
watch-pin tool!). ISTR that the jump rings were about 6mm and the bead was
maybe 8mm, so that the rings stuck out just far enough to make threading the
pin practical.

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat
"Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring."

Old April 13th 04, 11:28 PM
Valerie

Lost the post from Vicki to respond, but:

Vicki,
The image I was trying to show you you did in the pic of the Winnie the Pooh
watch URL you gave us. How you made a loop of seed beads and wrapped it around
the beaded pin. :-)

Old April 14th 04, 03:33 AM
katiewise

My preference, for the whole ha-penny it is worth.....

If you are stringing with wire (beadalon, c-flex, whatever you
prefer), you can pull the pin out entirely, string the wire through
the hole, string on enough delicas (or 3mm swarovski.... but then I
am, as my beading partner is so kind to point out, a "trashy slut"
when it comes to sparkly swarovski!!) But I digress, use the delicas
to fill in where the pin should be, then string out the other side.
not only is it a "pretty" solution, but then your band is double wire
strength OR you have the option of doing a 2 strand twisty band. At
the toggle, put a crimp bead, go through the toggle, back through the
crimp and back through a few beads. Crimp, then cut the excess off
the "tail".

OK, that last part was Beading 101.... I get in my "teacher" mode
and off I go! My biggest pet peeve and the thing I stress most
in my classes is "NEVER snip your stringing material right next to
your crimp or knot! Threading your stringing material back even a few
small beads increases the staying power of the crimp/knot, and helps
to prevent unwanted "SPROING!"

For whatever all that is worth!

katie

Old April 14th 04, 04:27 AM
Beth

have you looked at FMG? They have a lot of pin-type watch findings...?

beth
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from
(katiewise) :

]If you are stringing with wire (beadalon, c-flex, whatever you
]prefer), you can pull the pin out entirely, string the wire through
]the hole,

the watches i've been given so far don't have "holes". just
"depressions" the pins slip into. this is part of my problem.

but i'm keeping everything for when i find a watch that cooperates!

-----------

Old April 14th 04, 04:32 AM
Valerie

the watches i've been given so far don't have "holes". just
"depressions" the pins slip into. this is part of my problem.

Vicki,

Is there any way you can drill holes in it? If you have a dremel you may be
able to if you have the inclination. Use the depression as a guide. Although I
know those holes are pretty small....I wonder if there are even drill bits that
small that you can get. Sorry, I just realized that I gave you more of a
problem than a solution. LOL!

Old April 14th 04, 05:02 AM
Beth

yes, there are drill bits so tiny you could hardly believe it! I have some
about the thickness of a hair... Don't ask what I'll use them for, but
they're out there!!
HTH...
beth

"Valerie" wrote in message
the watches i've been given so far don't have "holes". just
"depressions" the pins slip into. this is part of my problem.

Vicki,

Is there any way you can drill holes in it? If you have a dremel you may

be
able to if you have the inclination. Use the depression as a guide.

Although I
know those holes are pretty small....I wonder if there are even drill bits

that
small that you can get. Sorry, I just realized that I gave you more of a
problem than a solution. LOL!

Valerie
http://www.valeriebeads.com
RCB FAQ: http://www.valeriebeads.com/FAQ.html
Check out my site for the RCB Member Links! E-mail me for details on
submission!

OT - Tsunami watch for coastal areas Karin Cernik Beads 20 September 26th 03 06:36 PM
Watch Faces Mary Rurup Beads 0 August 25th 03 11:48 PM
watch faces bulk buy??? The Bead Lounge Beads 11 August 16th 03 06:48 AM
watch faces angela Beads 0 August 14th 03 01:11 PM
FYI - Watch Face Sell-out Kandice Seeber Beads 0 July 10th 03 12:47 AM