What sewing machine should I buy?

Old May 8th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default What sewing machine should I buy?

Hi everybody,

I'm about to start doing more sewing, and am in need of a new machine (I'm
still using my mothers first Singer she bought in the early 1960s!).

I used to sew and design costumes and clothing in college (28 years ago -
gack!), but have only done an occasional project since then, which is why I
could get by with the Singer.

My plans are to sew mostly simple garments from natural fabrics, cotton
weave, cotton knits, silks, etc. I also want to roll hem silk -- I am a silk
painter, and would love to make my own scarves. I don't need to quilt or do
fancy embroidery, but I'd love something that is simple to use and produces
elegant results (I have hand problems, so easy is important).

I'm willing to spend up to $400 or so. Less would be better, but I don't
want to skimp and be sorry later.

What do you wise and helpful people suggest?

Thanks you!

Elizabeth

Old May 8th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article ,
E in MN wrote:

[...]

Reliable and durable sewing machines cost more than that these days. So
you might wish to consider a quality used machine instead. Of paramount
importance are the dealers and the expertise of their technicians
whether you are buying a new or used machine regardless of brand. This
is a great topic of discussion these days as there are many horror
stories about unqualified techs. You should definitely ask local people
who sew and who have their machines serviced regularly (yes, that is
also a must.... the annual checkup and oiling). I can personally vouch
for the older, metal Berninas--- 930, 1130, 1230--- all a good bet,
though even the 20-25 year old ones often fetch over $500.

Others here can recommend reliable older models in other brands.

Phae

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake,
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI, Shakespeare)
Old May 9th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

What model Singer do you have? Some of the old all-metal gear machines are
so much sturdier than a lot of new machines. And if it does all that you
need it to do, why get a new one? Take it and get it serviced. Those old
machines can purr with very little upkeep...

I learned on a 1929 model 15 (I think that's the number... either that or a
99) but my favorite machine is a 1923 201 that I can use in a treadle or as
an electric. Nice big throat for quilting, does nice button holes... real
work horse...

So new isn't always "better..." grin

Cappy

Old May 9th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

My Bernina 930 is a wonderful machine but I think they go for more than
$400. 830 is a similar machine with a few less bells and whistles and
no stretch stitches. Neither are computer models.
Singer 401, 403, 500 or 503 machines are great old work horses and well
within your price range.
Check out your local sewing machine shop and see what they have
available used.
Taria

Old May 9th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

The same thing, Cappy, with my 1961 Singer Slant Needle, except I can not
use it as a pedal, wish I could. It uses cams to make beautiful decorative
stitches, and there are so many different presser feet available today that
weren't when I first got this beauty in the 80s, from a lady who was being
moved to a nursing home and her daughter did not want it. I use it probably
as much or more than any of my other machines.
Emily.

Old May 9th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Thanks for all the responses!

My current machine is a Singer Style-O-Matic 328, which needs approximately
$100 worth of repairs before I can use it (regular maintenance which I've
overlooked for years, plus the bobbin winder is broken). Once it's repaired,
it has attachments to do everything that I want to do.

The only reason I'm even considering a new machine is that I have hand and
joint problems, and I know I would sew more if the machine were lighter and
easier to operate. All those little screws on the Singer can cause me pain,
and even the foot pedal is hard to operate sometimes.

Went out yesterday and looked at Janomes and Vikings. Found a Janome Jem
Platinum 760 for $499, and a new Viking Huskystar C10 on sale for $449. The
Huskystar has 11 one-touch buttonholes!

I hate to spend this kind of money, but maybe it's a good investment. I may
check out Sears -- I hear they have a Janome and of course, Singers.

Any other ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Angstriddenly,
Elizabeth

Old May 9th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

E in MN wrote:

Any other ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

***DON'T*** get a Huskystar *holding nose* It won't hold up -- it's a
classic oriental sailing ship.

The Janome Jem is a very lightweight machine.

Try to find a nice dealer with a nice selection of older machines to get
far more bang for the buck than you might otherwise get. I found an 80s
era machine that is the love of my life and it only cost me $129.

If you lived in the SF Bay Area, I'd sell you my Singer 500A for about a
third of what I paid for it (I bought it used a few years ago), because
my Singer 401A is now the second love of my life, and it's so close to
the 500 that I have no interest in the 500 any more.
Old May 9th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

I have to agree with you on some of the newer presser feet... But I think
I've only lusted after the rolled hem foot and a teflon foot for the 201.
Everything else I can do, not necessarily the best or the fastest, with the
regular presser foot.

Cappy

Old May 9th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

500 was basically the 401 with zipped up styling.
There are some photos still on my webpage along
with some links for older machine info:
http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/tlw/taria/pages/index.htm
Taria

Old May 9th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article ,
"CypSew" wrote:

The same thing, Cappy, with my 1961 Singer Slant Needle, except I can not
use it as a pedal, wish I could. It uses cams to make beautiful decorative
stitches, and there are so many different presser feet available today that
weren't when I first got this beauty in the 80s, from a lady who was being
moved to a nursing home and her daughter did not want it. I use it probably
as much or more than any of my other machines.
Emily.

I remember those. We had them in our high school.... Slant-O-Matics,
weren't they, or did that name come later? I guess I never understood
what the slant was supposed to do. Do you know? They were nice
machines. I did manage to get a home ec course in my freshman year.
Our teacher had purple hair and a wart on her tongue that was a bit
distracting. She was, however, an awesome teacher who made us learn the
art of easing by doing set-in sleeves without basting..... only pins.
If you had even the tiniest wrinkle you had to rip it out and start over
again. One of my friends, a fellow Girl Scout, did not like this
procedure and cut down the height of her sleeve cap to get it to ease in
better. She got away with it too.

When I set out to buy my first machine, I had no idea what I wanted so I
rented machines until I found one that I really liked. I rented a lot
of machines before I settled on one. It was a great way to find out
what I liked and not. I wonder if any places still let you do that.

Phae

sewing machinery sewing machinery Yarn 0 March 21st 06 01:55 PM
RCTQ FAQ Nov 2005 frood Quilting 3 November 6th 05 09:22 PM
RCTQ FAQ August 2005 frood Quilting 2 August 2nd 05 02:57 PM
FAQ RCTQ for newbies and oldtimers alike Diana Curtis Quilting 15 January 11th 04 06:20 PM
FAQs for Newbies and Longtimers Diana Curtis Quilting 21 December 8th 03 12:52 PM