long underwear question

Old January 15th 05, 05:09 PM
Tom and Nancy Teigen

Default long underwear question

My DD (age 14) is in marching band here in northern Texas. Her band
is going to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade in Chicago this
year. They have suggested the kids buy long underwear to wear under
their uniforms for warmth. She could also use some extra warmth for
some of the chilly nights (down to the mid 40's) during the later part
of fall football season too.
I have looked at the silk long underwear at Lands End. I also
planned to check out the local sporting goods stores. I have heard
about the PowerDry fabric from Malden Mills and was wondering if that
might be a good choice to make her something. She normally wears
shorts and a t-shirt under her uniform so I don't want anything too
bulky.
Any advice?

thanks!
Nancy
Old January 15th 05, 05:31 PM
Elizabeth Young

Tom and Nancy Teigen wrote:
My DD (age 14) is in marching band here in northern Texas. Her band
is going to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade in Chicago this
year. They have suggested the kids buy long underwear to wear under
their uniforms for warmth. She could also use some extra warmth for
some of the chilly nights (down to the mid 40's) during the later part
of fall football season too.
I have looked at the silk long underwear at Lands End. I also
planned to check out the local sporting goods stores. I have heard
about the PowerDry fabric from Malden Mills and was wondering if that
might be a good choice to make her something. She normally wears
shorts and a t-shirt under her uniform so I don't want anything too
bulky.
Any advice?

thanks!
Nancy

I would use the silk long underwear. It would add warmth without bulk.

liz young, once in marching band in michigan
Old January 15th 05, 06:32 PM
Kate Dicey

Elizabeth Young wrote:

Tom and Nancy Teigen wrote:

[...]

Long undies fit like a second skin, so bulk shouldn't be a problem.
There are lots of different types about, but if you think she might grow
out of them before she gets full use, you might like to think of
something less expensive than silk. I got a couple of sets from Aldi
here in the UK for £7.99 a set. I wear them as PJ's coz I get cold at
night!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 15th 05, 09:20 PM
taria

Walmart has long underwear that are not the waffle knit type.
They don't add much bulk and are comfy. Probably few of them
left at this point in the season though.
Taria

Old January 15th 05, 10:21 PM
BEI Design

Tom and Nancy Teigen wrote:
My DD (age 14) is in marching band here in northern Texas.
Her band is going to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade in
Chicago this year. They have suggested the kids buy long
underwear to wear under their uniforms for warmth. She could
also use some extra warmth for some of the chilly nights (down
to the mid 40's) during the later part of fall football season
too. I have looked at the silk long underwear at Lands End.

I really like the Cuddl Duds® from J C Penney, they usually have them in the
store, but if not you'll find them in the catalog or online:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U27E13E3A

NAYY, just a satisfied customer, and I love Cuddl Duds. They are a smooth
knit, brushed on the inside. I wore a set on a trip to Prince George, B.C.
in February a few years ago and I was perfectly comfortable.

--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply

Old January 16th 05, 12:24 AM
Raye Ahn

I'm a Cuddle Duds believer, too. The flannel on the inside is so warm
and comfy, and the smooth knit on the outside slides easily under
clothing such as jeans. I live in Cuddle Duds throughout our
Pennsylvania winters. I've tried silk but it would "stick" to
everything, making it difficult to move such as taking a walk, running
with the dog, etc. Before I found Cuddle Duds, I found some winter
underwear at Land's End, (PowderDry) but that too "sticks" to clothing
because it isn't slick on the outside.

I'd love to find the fabric and make some more, as the Cuddle Duds are
a little pricey, about $20 each, top or bottom. You can find them just
about anywhere; department stores, online, etc. I did find some at a
discount store for $5.00 a piece, but I don't think I'll be able to do
that again!

Old January 16th 05, 04:20 AM
Pat

"Raye Ahn" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a Cuddle Duds believer, too. The flannel on the inside is so warm
and comfy, and the smooth knit on the outside slides easily under
clothing such as jeans. I live in Cuddle Duds throughout our
Pennsylvania winters. I've tried silk but it would "stick" to
everything, making it difficult to move such as taking a walk, running
with the dog, etc. Before I found Cuddle Duds, I found some winter
underwear at Land's End, (PowderDry) but that too "sticks" to clothing
because it isn't slick on the outside.

I'd love to find the fabric and make some more, as the Cuddle Duds are
a little pricey, about $20 each, SNIPPETY

Try Walmart. Theirs are so like cuddl duds that you will swear the same
people made them......comfortable......and not binding at all.....I play
golf in them all winter.

Pat in Arkansas.

Old January 16th 05, 01:56 PM

Try a sporting goods store that sells ski and snow apparel. I wear a
brand called Hot Chili's. They have several weights- so get the slick
thin stuff. My pants are a stirrups type but I dont use the stirrups. I
use this stuff to snowboard in. I wear a waterproof shell over them-
warm as can be. Better than any cotton blend item as they wick away
moisture and do not retain it. Band marching can cause some
persperation. These aren't expensive and I have had mine for 4 years.

HTH,

Julie
Richmond, VA

said...

Old January 17th 05, 05:56 AM
admom

or try REI,com they have polypropylene that wicks the moisture away from
your body, and you stay warmer. (hubby is an all year long bicycle rider,
and that is what keeps him from becoming a brick of ice in MN. they are not
bulky, wash well, and are warm, as well)

admom

Old January 17th 05, 08:20 AM
Michael Daly

On 17-Jan-2005, "admom" wrote:

they have polypropylene that wicks the moisture away from
your body, and you stay warmer.

Polypro is old tech. It can't take an antibacterial coating
well, so it gets stinky fast. Polyesters are better. I use
Powerdry almost exclusively.

BTW - does anyone know of an antibacterial that can be added
to a fabric that's had its factory coat washed out?

Mike