places to go to quilt

Old August 15th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindi

Default places to go to quilt

This may seem like an odd question but here goes... Are there places
where I could go, take my quilt with me, and use their machine to
quilt it? Not hire them to do it. I don't have the room for a long
arm quilter but I'd love to try one and/or use it on occasion. I'd
pay of course. Has anyone ever heard of such a place? Particularly
in the NJ area though I'm willing to travel. (have quilt, will
travel).

Old August 15th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Call around to some of your local quilt shops - they may know of someone.
I've heard of such places, but they are not terribly common. Usually, you
have to undergo some training before you are allowed to work on your own
projects.

--
Kate in MI

ups.com...

Old August 15th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Kate G. wrote:
Call around to some of your local quilt shops - they may know of someone.
I've heard of such places, but they are not terribly common. Usually, you
have to undergo some training before you are allowed to work on your own
projects.

someone mentioned a place recently, no idea where it was, but it was the
first I'd heard of such a thing. I've just bought a book on machine
quilting, it's very much aimed at the home machine, though of course the
patterns could also be used on a long arm. To encourage you not to
despair and think that a long arm would solve all your problems, she
says becoming proficient on a long arm takes a year. You might have
better luck trying to befriend someone who has a medium arm, or other
home quilting set up.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 15th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

There are several near me. California too far? :-)

Call your local quilt shops and long arm quilters and see if they offer
classes and then rental.

marcella

Old August 16th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

And I know of a place near Minneapolis.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 16th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Just curious, Julia -- where in MN can you rent a longarm?

--
Kate in MI (formerly of Plymouth, MN)

Old August 16th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Aug 15, 2:59 pm, Cindi wrote:
This may seem like an odd question but here goes... Are there places
where I could go, take my quilt with me, and use their machine to
quilt it? Not hire them to do it. I don't have the room for a long
arm quilter but I'd love to try one and/or use it on occasion. I'd
pay of course. Has anyone ever heard of such a place? Particularly
in the NJ area though I'm willing to travel. (have quilt, will
travel).

Cindi,
Sorry - have no idea about where to go in NJ to rent services, but
where in NJ are you? I'm in the Pennington/Princeton area. Could
check around with a couple of other NJ quilters and see what I can
find out for you.

Kim in NJ

Old August 16th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Kate G. wrote:
Just curious, Julia -- where in MN can you rent a longarm?

There is a place in Savage called "Quilt Yourself".
http://www.quiltyourself.com/. My daughter and I discovered the place
by accident. I thought about trying it, but decided it would be just
about as expensive as paying a skilled longarmer to do my quilts. It
might be nice, though, if someone is considering buying a longarm and
wanted to try it before making the investment.

There is also a fabric shop called "Before U Quilt" next door.
http://www.b4uquilt.com/Welcome.html That was new and not yet open
when we stopped at Quilt Yourself. I think we'll have to go back and
check that out.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 16th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:55:25 -0700, Anne Rogers
wrote:

someone mentioned a place recently, no idea where it was, but it was the
first I'd heard of such a thing. I've just bought a book on machine
quilting, it's very much aimed at the home machine, though of course the
patterns could also be used on a long arm. To encourage you not to
despair and think that a long arm would solve all your problems, she
says becoming proficient on a long arm takes a year. You might have
better luck trying to befriend someone who has a medium arm, or other
home quilting set up.

Cheers
Anne

What's the name of the book?