THE DIRECTORY. MY FINAL WORD

Old May 7th 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default THE DIRECTORY. MY FINAL WORD

Niasha I'm sorry this has upset you; but I'm sure the answer has nothing
to do with value judgements at all in your case. Your name is known of
course. But, there are very many people who were 'members' as far back
as you who do not post or read anymore, and wouldn't consider themselves
to be part of the group. Things change; which is why the information is
collected for each Directory. My details, for instance, have not
changed since I 'joined' in 2001.

The *critical* point is whether you were reading the NG when the form
for data collection was posted. The *form* is the only simple method
available for continued, current interest to be known. I think it was
posted in October last year - but my mind is not too clear at the
moment. There are several posts in the month to alert everyone. If you
happened not be reading up to date material at that time, you perhaps
did miss it. This is the fundamental way of inclusion. As long as I
remember, (when LN was doing it) inclusion does not automatically follow
on from one year to the next - for obvious 'fact change' reasons.

I'm sure that inclusion in the Directory was *never* intended as a kind
of validation or, worse, exclusive club. Any 'vetting' which has gone
on has been purely for security reasons. OK, nowadays it is easy enough
to get the information from other sources anyway. Nevertheless, it is
best not to court problems.

All that being said, we must be careful not to allow this to become
divisive. It is, when all said and done, a list of full names and
addresses - with a few add-ons - of those in the group who are keen to
be able to contact others. There is no hierarchy in the group, and nor
should there be in a non-moderated group.
..
In message , niasha
writes
I'm confused? Was one of the criteria for inclusion the number of posts over
a two month period? Ill health, moving, computer problems, etc. can all
contribute to a member's lack of participation at any time. I don't always
respond to he group but to the individual. While difficult to type, I do try
to read most of the posts. (I'm only behind about 2mil, 647thou, 972 at this
point but still trying to catch up)! While "life" has prevented me from
participating as much as I would like to, I think membership since 1999
should give me some credence as a member worthy to be included in the
directory. If the directory has been reduced to a paper exercise that's sad.
I have always looked upon it as a way to bond kindred spirits who have
supported each other over the years, good and bad times, joy and
disappointment, etc. It's when you don't hear from a member that you pull
out the directory to send a squishy or a love note to let them know you have
them in your prayers.

- I assume I will not be included in this year's directory but I would still
like to get a copy. Please let me know! Thanks for letting me vent! It's my
chocolate deficient! Gotta get those cupcakes!

Niasha ,She who can eat no chocolate
If it doesn't kill you, it can only make you stronger!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 7th 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Actually Niasha has been around since 2002, and was in the 2005
directory (the first I had), but missed the 2006 one when life must have
got in the way.

Just a thought, would it be a help if the Directory Form had a little
space for giving a date of the last time you appeared in a directory, or
something similar. This would assist the person compiling the directory
to check if the person applying was a newbie, or a long-term member who
had not posted much recently. They would have a place to start their check.

With so many names, remembering them is so difficult, and Alice did say
that the checking of 'credentials' was the hardest bit. I personally
would have no difficulty in Niasha receiving a directory, even though
she doesn't appear in it.

Niasha, if your info. is the same as in 2005, I will add you to my
directory.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Kate G. wrote:
No, Niasha, it is not merely a 2 month period of posting that determines
one's admission to the directory. While I'm sure Alice can speak for her
own process, it is my understanding that she searched back many, many months
(at least 6 months) to look for applicants who would be new to the directory
(as those already admitted had been scrutinized previously). She looked for
the number of posts and wanted to make sure that most were relevant to
quilting. (Not that you are... but we do get an occassional troll who
poses as one of us -- so our directory people take their job very
seriously). Only those who are IN the directory receive a copy of the
directory -- thus each member has a vested interest in protecting the
privacy of the information included.

While I speak for Alice (and probably shouldn't), please know that no
individual was not included out of malice or spite. Most of us were around
for at least a year before we were admitted to our first directory. While a
certain frequency of posts isn't required for admission -- you certainly
must post frequently enough so that those pulling the directory together
feel confident that you are a person who is truly a member of our community
and someone who can be trusted with our personal information.

While you can neither receive or be included in this release of the
directory, we hope you will stay around, post occasionally so we can all get
to know you, and then being included next time around will not be a problem.
(Remember -- when you respond privately to someone, there is no record on
the newsgroup -- so while you may be active in your communications with
other members privately -- there is no way our Directory Team would know
this.

Please try not to take this as a personal affront. You are new here, we are
happy to have you here, and hope you will hang around. You are welcome to
participate in any and all swaps that interest you (or host one of your
own!) You are welcome to become a part of the HUG group. Ask questions
when they arise in your quilting, post answers to others' questions when you
think you can help, join us offering hugs and prayers to fellow RCTQ'ers as
needed and before long it will be time for the next directory... and you
will be warmly welcomed and included.

Kate in MI

Old May 7th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

The form does have a field for indicating if you are in the current
Directory or not.

13 who said they were, weren't
3 who said they didn't know, were
26 said they didn't know
65 said they weren't

Every name submitted regardless of response, was checked against the
previous Directory. I do not recommend asking us to check back to the
previous Directories to determine when last a person was in it.

Alice

"Happiness is good health and a bad memory."
- Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)

:
: Just a thought, would it be a help if the Directory Form had a little
: space for giving a date of the last time you appeared in a directory, or
: something similar. This would assist the person compiling the directory
: to check if the person applying was a newbie, or a long-term member who
: had not posted much recently. They would have a place to start their
check.
:
: With so many names, remembering them is so difficult, and Alice did say
: that the checking of 'credentials' was the hardest bit. I personally
: would have no difficulty in Niasha receiving a directory, even though
: she doesn't appear in it.
:
: Niasha, if your info. is the same as in 2005, I will add you to my
: directory.
:
: --
: Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
: http://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin
:
:
:
:
: Kate G. wrote:
[...]
: http://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves
:
:
:
:

Old May 7th 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

AliceW wrote:
The form does have a field for indicating if you are in the current
Directory or not.

13 who said they were, weren't
3 who said they didn't know, were
26 said they didn't know
65 said they weren't

Every name submitted regardless of response, was checked against the
previous Directory. I do not recommend asking us to check back to the
previous Directories to determine when last a person was in it.

Alice

"Happiness is good health and a bad memory."
- Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)

:

So it does, Alice - apologies. I keep a copy of things I send like
forms, so can see mine. I did know where I was then - now I'm not so sure!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 7th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Niasha:
You know me and I know you ... so, if you want my
address to send me that chocolate you can't eat, just
ask! I will reply via e-mail.

Hugs, PAT, not in directory by my own choice but still
Queen of Everything & Official Chocolate Taster!

I'm confused?

Old May 7th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Yvette THE DIRECTORY. (MY) your FINAL WORD

Howdy!

Yeah, I know how to find you, B-fly. And your new sewing room, too!! ;-D

Yvette Me-me-yOOOOOOOO is just more fun to say than "42." VBG

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy--looking for an idea for this border on this
going-to-be-Finished quilt...I know I put the ideas somewhere...

On 5/6/07 10:08 PM, in article ,
"Butterflywings" wrote:

You just burst my bubble.... (can't you just picture lil droplets of bubble
soap dripping all over your keyboard?)
I always believed 42 was the correct answer cause I can't pronounce that
gals last name correctly and cause everyone that I know of is familiar with
42 being the answer.

Butterfly (who also is not in the Directory by choice. So far folks have
been able to get my addy even after I've moved again and again and again
since joining this NG : ) Just ask--or ask someone else to ask 'for you' )

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

LOL

Some of y'all really get turned a bit sideways by this thing, don't you?
;-D
Looks like it's a privately done project, not a public-access-to-records
item like stuff on Usenet (home of RCTQ). The person who owns it can do
with it as she pleases. Or not. And does.
And maybe it looks a bit like a popularity contest or one for
Mzs. Congeniality. Next up: being voted on/off the island?
Maybe you want to start an addy/info list of your own?
Nothing in The Rules against that.
No offense intended at all, 'cause y'all know I just don't *do* the
directory. Been here on the ng for 10+ yrs. and never have lacked access
to an address: just ask. ;-) (I accept addys sent privately; email as
posted.) I don't do polls or telephone surveys, either, and so far, life
goes on. Reckon there are several dozens or even hundreds of us that
don't
do this little ol' directory, and that's O.K.. I like y'all just the
same.
My point is, go on with your regularly scheduled quilting plans.
It'll be all right. I promise. :-

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy-- pointing out that Yvette Mimieux is ALWAYS the right answer

Old May 7th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Not to add fuel to the fire, but she was in the last one......

--
Cindy from MO

"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.. .

Old May 7th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Thanks , I did NOT know how and I'm glad I asked: ) Very musical isn't it.
Yuppers, you do know where my Studio is but you didn't get to see it set up.
Still have to make a coupla changes and I'm really not sure where I want to
put the stereo/tape/CD player where it would be easily reached. Yes, it has
a remote.

Butterfly (back to working on the Design Wall)

,

Old May 7th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"AliceW" wrote:

Every name submitted regardless of response, was checked against the
previous Directory. I do not recommend asking us to check back to the
previous Directories to determine when last a person was in it.

I can't blame you there, Alice. The directory is already a monumental
task, and expanding the search to previous versions is just
hair-tearing-out mind boggling. Besides, some of us don't keep the old
directories!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) embarqmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
Old May 7th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

[...]

Well said, as usual, Pat.