ISO sock pattern recs for self-striping and variegated sock yarns

Old October 4th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Default ISO sock pattern recs for self-striping and variegated sock yarns

Thanks to some evil enabling (by Michelle, I think?) I am now the proud
owner of 8 skeins of self-striping and 2 skeins of variegated sock yarn. I
don't want to make just plain old stockinette socks but I have had bad luck
in the past with finding patterns that go well with this type of yarn. I
find that the colors really mask the stitch definition so that neither the
yarn nor the pattern is shown off to its best effect.

Does anyone have any recs for patterns that might work? I have seen a pair
of striped Jaywalkers that turned out nicely so I may try that one but that
still leaves me in search of 4 other patterns.

So please let me know which patterns you've liked. Free or paid, book or
individual, all recs are welcome! Thanks!

Cheers,
LauraJ

Old October 4th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:41:04 GMT, Laura J spun a fine yarn

Thanks to some evil enabling (by Michelle, I think?) I am now the proud
owner of 8 skeins of self-striping and 2 skeins of variegated sock yarn. I
don't want to make just plain old stockinette socks but I have had bad luck
in the past with finding patterns that go well with this type of yarn. I
find that the colors really mask the stitch definition so that neither the
yarn nor the pattern is shown off to its best effect.

Does anyone have any recs for patterns that might work? I have seen a pair
of striped Jaywalkers that turned out nicely so I may try that one but that
still leaves me in search of 4 other patterns.

So please let me know which patterns you've liked. Free or paid, book or
individual, all recs are welcome! Thanks!

Cheers,
LauraJ

Laura, email me offlist.
Noreen

moc. liamg AT j DOT neeron

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0640-2, 10/04/2006
Tested: 10/4/2006 3:44:34 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old October 4th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
'Nez

On Oct 4, 4:41*pm, "Laura J" wrote:

So please let me know which patterns you've liked. *Free or paid, book or
individual, all recs are welcome! *Thanks!

Cheers,
LauraJ

Afraid I can't help you. I only made 1 sock in my life. It was a sock
that was decorated with 4 other colors. When I finally got finished
with it, I donated it to the Salvation Army to find a one legged person
to wear it. Frances

Old October 4th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Laura J wrote:
Thanks to some evil enabling (by Michelle, I think?) I am now the proud
owner of 8 skeins of self-striping and 2 skeins of variegated sock
yarn. I don't want to make just plain old stockinette socks but I have
had bad luck in the past with finding patterns that go well with this
type of yarn. I find that the colors really mask the stitch definition
so that neither the yarn nor the pattern is shown off to its best effect.

Does anyone have any recs for patterns that might work? I have seen a
pair of striped Jaywalkers that turned out nicely so I may try that one
but that still leaves me in search of 4 other patterns.

So please let me know which patterns you've liked. Free or paid, book
or individual, all recs are welcome! Thanks!

Cheers,
LauraJ

Oooh, the latest Knitty has a great sock for the self-striping stuff.
Look for the RPM pattern; I'm about to try it myself.
Old October 5th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On Oct 4, 4:410m, "Laura J" wrote:

So please let me know which patterns you've liked. ree or paid, book or
individual, all recs are welcome! hanks!

Cheers,
LauraJ

2x2 ribbing for the whole leg can look very good. I also found
Feather and Fan looks nice. I did broken rib using my Yankees yarn
and liked it too.
Rounds 1,2: K2, P2
Rounds 3,4: K1, p2, k1
Rounds 5,6: P2, K2
rounds 7,8: P1, K2, P1
(multiple of 4 sts on each needle.)

Alison
Old October 5th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
firefly

So sorry, but I don't ever use striping sock yarn or variegated colors
.... personal taste issue.

But, good luck with a solution to what to do with all that yarn. Fun
problem to solve!

~firefly
http://scrumptiousliving.wordpress.com

Old October 5th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Hi Laura: Here is an URL that has all kinds of sock patterns,
everything you can imagine and all the patterns are free.
www.socknitters.com They have tons of patterns and a lot of them
would look good using the self striping/varigated yarns. I bought some
Trekking XXL and some yarn form Little Knits (same evil enabler that
enticed you LOL) that I'm planning on using the shell, ripple and
chevron patterns on. Most of these patterns have pictures of the
knitted socks so you can see what they look like, many of them are done
using striped/varigated yarns.
HTH Marie and the cats

Old October 5th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spinninglilac

look on google for the Blueberry Waffle sock pattern, I've used this for my
homespun stripey and it comes out very interesting

cheers...Cher

Old October 5th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

Hmm . I must be dense. Looked at latest Knitty and couldn't find
anything mentioning RPM - is there a secret code here???

I have just been using a koigu sock pattern though I am going down one
size on needles next time as DH says he wants them a little snugger.

Judy