"Golden Mean Guage"?

Old December 26th 04, 10:38 PM

Default "Golden Mean Guage"?

I've been looking for examples of these on internet and so far only
have found one place that makes them(for lots of $). I wondered if
there had been anyone in the past who had a similar instrument but have
found nothing. What did the Greeks use?
I work for a company that makes supplies for people who build
reproductions of 16th and 17th century weapons and we are planning on
making our own version of a "Golden Mean" divider and I being the guy
who does all the work am trying to make something that is more
traditional in style than what you'd expect from a tool today. I've
been looking into 17th Century fasterners for example.

Old January 6th 05, 06:55 AM
GrayBeardPhil

I was searching for something and ran across your post. If no one else
has posted a reply.... This will be a long post.

(F.Y.I.: from magazine Fine Woodworking (Taunton Press)Sept 1987
issue 66 pp 76-81)

step one:
construct a 30:60 right triangle, base twice as long as the height.
for example six inches long base and 3 inches tall. Actual length is
not important at this time. This makes one unit = 3 inches

2: using a drafting compass, make an arc centered at the intersection
of the height arm and the hypotenuse (the 60 degree angle corner)
starting at the intersection of the base and the height arms (that's the
right angle corner) and the arc ending on the hypotenuse.

(this is actually a lot easier than it sounds.)

3: reset your compass to center at the corner of the hypotenuse and
the base (30 degree corner) and the other end of the compass at the
mark on the hypotenuse made by the first arc.

4: strike an arc from the hypotenuse to the base. make a mark.

5: You now have the two sides of a golden rectangle along the base of
the original triangle:
long side = from the 30 degree corner to 2nd arc mark (on the base)
short side = 2nd arc mark to the right angle corner.
long side = (1.23606...)x(one unit)
short side = (0.76393....)x(one unit)
ratio short to long = 0.61803..... (these are all irrational number)

6: construct a golden rectangle using your compass and square to
layout the sides found above.

7: The golden mean is the diagonal of the rectangle. the angle made
by the diagonal and the long side of the rectangle is something like
31.7174... degrees (again irrational number)

8: extend both the long side of the golden rectangle, and the
diagonal. Drop a line anywhere (at a right angle) along the extended
long side to the diagonal and you will have length of the short
side of a golden rectangle.

9: Use a straight stick, piece of metal, or what ever you want to use, and
create your own story stick, and your own marks for golden mean, golden
rectangle and so on.

I hope this is what you were asking about.

Graybeard Phil

Old December 14th 08, 08:20 AM
Dragonwood Dragonwood is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I've been looking for examples of these on internet and so far only
have found one place that makes them(for lots of $). I wondered if
there had been anyone in the past who had a similar instrument but have
found nothing. What did the Greeks use?
I work for a company that makes supplies for people who build
reproductions of 16th and 17th century weapons and we are planning on
making our own version of a "Golden Mean" divider and I being the guy
who does all the work am trying to make something that is more
traditional in style than what you'd expect from a tool today. I've
been looking into 17th Century fasterners for example.
It may not be what your looking for but I found a simple design of the gauge that could be made out of wood or metal that can be connected by rivots. I have the sight if your interested in this tool.