"It's a Micheal!" Ring

Old October 2nd 03, 06:20 AM
Abrasha

Barry wrote:

Ok, Here is a different take on your ring...I don't think that it says "It's
a Michael!" What it says is: "It's a Michae!!" The last 2 characters are
exclamation points. That's a Yiddish term meaning something like "it feels
so good" For example, if you've been outside shoveling snow for a while and
are cold and miserable...you come in and stand in front of the fire...it
feels so good..."its a Michea". The problem is that it is an English
transliteration of a Yiddish term, thus the spelling difficulty.

How about it, any chance it could be a Yiddish connection?

Barry

Your suggestion so patently ridiculous, it's laughable. The only possible word
you could possibly be refering to is "mechaje", which means "miracle", and which
is not capitalized. "michea" is not a Yiddish word, not even in your wildest
imagination.

Oh, BTW, Yiddish was my first language. We spoke Yiddish at home, before I
could speak anything else. It's my mother's tongue, or as we say in Yiddish,
"Mammelushen"

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 5th 03, 05:23 AM
Barry

Abrasha,

I don't apologize for my "ridiculous" suggestion. Maybe my translation was
not perfect, but it does make sense in the situation. While Yiddish is not
my first language, it was my grandparents and I did hear it as a child quite
a bit. Unfortunately, unlike you, I did not pick it up, and this fact I
regret. I don't know why, or understand why you would be so critical and
criticize my attempt to help this post. You sound very bitter and for this
I feel sorry for you. I was just trying to help, and it sounds like it may
have (based on the posters response to my post).

BTW, as you know, since Yiddish is not written in English, and there may be
several versions of the transliteration (i.e. similar to "Chanukah" vs.
"Hanukah", each of which are considered correct).

Get off your "High Horse" and be tolerant of others who may be trying to
help, even though you may not.

Barry

Old October 5th 03, 10:59 AM
Abrasha

Barry wrote:

[...]

Oh ****,

Here we go again

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 8th 03, 04:06 PM
sbright

The faceting on the stone looks like Star of David.

-Stanley

"jcs" wrote in message
Peter (and everyone else) -

I have posted pictures of the ring he
http://home.nyc.rr.com/citrus/michael1.jpg
http://home.nyc.rr.com/citrus/michael2.jpg
http://home.nyc.rr.com/citrus/michael3.jpg

In answer to your questions:
As you can see in the 3rd pic, "Its a Michael" seems to be machine
stamped - as is a serial number below (not pictured).

I now actually think it is a diamond (per a jewelry store in my
neighborhood - they used what seemed like a barbaric tool to try to
scratch my ring before I could protest.) Fortunately on this ring
they were unsuccessful and believe it to be a diamond!

Any other info is much appreciated!

THANKS again -

jcsjcs

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 04:39:00 GMT, Peter W. Rowe
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:34:02 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
(jcs) wrote:

Has anyone heard of this "brand" or have any idea where this ring is
from? I have seen nothing on the internet or ebay.

The spelling of the name Micheal is odd, and 20K is not common. But

you're
description doesn't really tell us all that much. If you could get

photos of
it, including the markings as well as the outer designs, and post them to

the
web, and include the web URL in a followup newsgroup post, I'll bet we

could
tell you more. (remember that just attaching the photos to a newsgroup

post
doesn't work in this moderated group) One other question... Where it

says "Its
a Micheal), is that engraved or otherwise individually marked on the ring

(hand
or machine engraving, etc), or is it a stamped in mark? And why do you

think
the center stone is not a real diamond?

Peter

Old October 9th 03, 03:32 AM
Abrasha

sbright wrote:

The faceting on the stone looks like Star of David.

-Stanley

Sorry to pop your bubble Stanley, but it's called a "Rose Cut"

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Ring ring! Charlie Beads 18 September 3rd 04 04:12 AM
Wire Ring w/ faceted stone Beadbimbo Beads 30 July 19th 04 03:27 PM
Eternity Ring Shu Jewelry 0 July 29th 03 03:55 PM
diamond ring Misia Jewelry 8 July 23rd 03 03:10 PM
question about a ring.... Greg Chu Jewelry 6 July 8th 03 10:32 AM