Raggedy Ann/ Andy hair

Old August 14th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

Default Raggedy Ann/ Andy hair

In article , Butterflywings
wrote:

Try # 4
After mumbleity mumble years, I'm working on DD's RaggedyAnn/Andy dolls.

Thus my questions:

When you 'do' the hair, how close do you put it together (they only say 3
rows--but that looks sparse to me),

AND do you cut the yarn or leave it in loops?

Don't say "it's up to me" cause it's been AGES since I've seen one, let
alone make one.....((DD's first pair literally fell apart--she's finally
threw the rest away when she heard these are almost done ))

I'm wrapping the yarn around cardboard, sewing in the middle (where I left
the space open), sliding it off, and sewing it onto the doll's head. Sure
beats hand sewing the yarn onto the doll.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Butterfly

I made my DD a doll similar to RA a few years back and all I can really
say is that if you think the doll will get LOTS of lovin' to not cut
the yarn if you can help it. Maybe I bought funny yarn, but after two
years of being "loved" the cut yarn ends went frizzy and pill-y.

For her 'do, I cut long lengths of yarn, folded the bulk in half to
determine the center and then stitched it to her head by hand, using
IIRC, a backstitch/running stitch (I went over my stitches a zillion
times to make sure it wouldn't fall out later!). Then I trimmed the
ends even and set my girly to work braiding her hair. Finally, after
she braided it, I sewed a bow to the ends so the braids wouldn't come
undone.

It actually looked really cute - my girly had the same hairstyle back
then and they looked like twins! Even down to the "hair color!"

Wow! talk about a flashback - that was nearly 10 years ago! Now my
girly plays with Bratz ... *sigh* ... I sure wish she'd go back to
regular dolls.

The doll I made her still sits on her bed, though and STILL gets
regular lovin's!

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!
Old August 14th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Here is a Raggedy Ann, dancing with her friend!
http://tinyurl.com/2cycqy NAYY.
You can click on 'close view' and REALLY see how Ann
usually styles her hair. NAYY.

MY little Raggedy Ann is about 12" tall. Her hair is
MOSTLY cut straight, except for her cowlick! She has
one area where the strands are a straight but longer,
with some uncut loops! We will keep it like this ... no
extreme make-over for this family. Grins,

PAT and Ann in Virginia

Old August 16th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Interesting notation: the majority of Ann's dresses have a neckline ruffle.
My pattern didn't call for it as it has rick rack.

Butterfly (I'm not a rick rack person)

"Jennifer" wrote in message
In article , jennifero_62
@nospamyahoo.com says...
In article ,
says...
[...]

When I made these Raggedy Ann and Andy...I left Ann's hair in loops and
cut the hair. Pics are here....

Oops....I meant to say I cut Andy's hair and left Ann's hair in loops.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...84882082PJgQRE

Good luck
Jennifer
Edmonton, Alberta