Sashing help

Old August 15th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

Default Sashing help

I am now working on my first embroidery block quilt (actually 42" x
42" wallhanging). Nine redwork blocks with sashing. I squared up my
blocks and sewed blocks into three rows and am now ready to sew the
long vertical sashing between the rows.

Help!

How do I pin and sew the vertical sashing so that all the horzonal
sashing seams line up and at the same time making sure the rows are
not streached to fit. I would like for my wall hanging to hang right.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Old August 15th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

mark the finished size of the block and the finished size of the sashing
on both edges of the vertical sashing, making sure they are lined up,
then match these points up with the seam and pin either side.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 15th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

On Aug 15, 3:51 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
mark the finished size of the block and the finished size of the sashing
on both edges of the vertical sashing, making sure they are lined up,
then match these points up with the seam and pin either side.

Cheers
Anne

Thanks Anne.

I am worried about the accordion effect of the rows. How do I make
sure that the seams match up but also make sure they are not stretched
in a way that will make my quilt hand funny?

Old August 15th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

On Aug 15, 3:51 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
mark the finished size of the block and the finished size of the sashing
on both edges of the vertical sashing, making sure they are lined up,
then match these points up with the seam and pin either side.

Cheers
Anne

"hand" should have been "hang". Oooops!

Old August 15th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Jerry, use your quilt to help line things up. G This is easier to
do/show than to tell but I will try.
Measure your long rows through the middle. They should all be the same
length. Cut your long sashing strips this size. Fold in half and mark
the center of the sashing strip, on both edges.
Fold each end to the center and mark the quarter points.
Take the first of the rows of blocks, and fold in half to mark the
center of the edge. Fold end to center and mark the quarter points. Pin
sashing to row of blocks and stitch. Repeat with second row of blocks
and second sashing strip.
Press to the sashing.
Now, carefully lay the sashed row on your table, face up. Place the
unsashed edge of the next row face down on top. You should have centers
and quarter points marked, line them up. Now, carefully check to be sure
that the seams of the blocks are lined up, all the way down from the
"bottom", hidden, edge of the sashing to the edge of the top layer of
blocks. If those seams are lined up your sashing will be straight.
Once you are used to how this works, you can pin it together without
laying it on the table, but laying it out flat helps at the beginning.
VBG
Making sure that the sashings are all the same length, and matching up
the centers and quarter points all help keep the top square and so that
it will hang correctly. BG

Have fun with it,
Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 16th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
MaleQuilter wrote:

I am now working on my first embroidery block quilt (actually 42" x
42" wallhanging). Nine redwork blocks with sashing. I squared up my
blocks and sewed blocks into three rows and am now ready to sew the
long vertical sashing between the rows.

Help!

How do I pin and sew the vertical sashing so that all the horzonal
sashing seams line up and at the same time making sure the rows are
not streached to fit. I would like for my wall hanging to hang right.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Jerry, another idea would be to sew one row of blocks to the vertical
sashing and then, using a ruler, make a removable mark completely across
the vertical sashing where each block joins some of the horizontal
sashing. Then match those marks to the same points on the next row of
blocks. I hope that was somewhat clearer than mud! :S

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 16th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

I am worried about the accordion effect of the rows. How do I make
sure that the seams match up but also make sure they are not stretched
in a way that will make my quilt hand funny?

if you measure and match on both sides, and make sure they do match up
when sewing, as long as you don't pull and tug and force feed it, it
should come out just fine, just gently guide it through. If your strip
sets come out ok, this should too.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 16th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I would add this little trick I learned: Before you press the sashing
(while it is still laying over the row of blocks), take a pencil (or
some other marking tool) and mark where the unsewn edge of the sashing
at each block/crosswise sashing seam. Use the marks to line up the next
row of blocks.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 16th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

MaleQuilter wrote:
I am now working on my first embroidery block quilt (actually 42" x
42" wallhanging). Nine redwork blocks with sashing. I squared up my
blocks and sewed blocks into three rows and am now ready to sew the
long vertical sashing between the rows.

Help!

How do I pin and sew the vertical sashing so that all the horzonal
sashing seams line up and at the same time making sure the rows are
not streached to fit. I would like for my wall hanging to hang right.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/- Hide quoted text -

Julia, that is no "little trick"--- that's wonderful.

All of the suggestions are very helpful, but your's is so simple and
straight forward even beginners like me can follow it.

It is so great to be able to tap into the collective wisdom of
quilters around the world.

Old August 16th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:36:04 -0700, MaleQuilter
wrote:

I am now working on my first embroidery block quilt (actually 42" x
42" wallhanging). Nine redwork blocks with sashing. I squared up my
blocks and sewed blocks into three rows and am now ready to sew the
long vertical sashing between the rows.

Help!

How do I pin and sew the vertical sashing so that all the horzonal
sashing seams line up and at the same time making sure the rows are
not streached to fit. I would like for my wall hanging to hang right.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Cornerstones. You can use cornerstones with your sashing and
everything is easy to line up.

You say you don't want another color added at the corner points?
Nothing says your cornerstones have to be a different color from your
sashing. The seams will help you, even if the color is all the same.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Fun with striped sashing [email protected] Quilting 0 April 19th 07 04:31 PM
Sashing Bonnie Patterson Quilting 2 May 13th 06 04:47 PM
sashing question Terbear Quilting 7 April 28th 06 09:49 PM
Sashing Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\) Quilting 2 October 15th 03 07:49 PM
How to cut a narrow sashing? Kirsten Bjorneboe Quilting 2 October 13th 03 08:25 AM