tessellating maple/oak leaves

Old August 15th 07, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default tessellating maple/oak leaves

Hi,

Does anybody know of a decent pattern for tessellating maple leaves or
oak leaves or any kind of tree leaves? I really need one, fairly soon.
I want to piece a background for an applique wallhanging and it would
look really amazing to have it be interlocking leaves because the
applique is a tree. Any takers??

Sunny

Old August 15th 07, 07:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Jackie Robinson has a great one in her book Tessellations.
I have made it up and it goes together well. The block itself is very
easy - you just have to be very aware from the start which block is
going to be next to which block, as the pattern is achieved by pieces in
each block being made up in the fabric of the adjacent block - if you
can possible see what I mean by that! You just have to do a plan - but
there are "Planning Pages" in the book where you can colour in (or
number) the fabrics you are going to use. I just numbered mine (and
pinned a note of the number to the fabric g) and wrote the numbers
into the planner. It worked very well indeed.
..
In message om, Sunny
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 15th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginny in VT

Here's a free pattern, called "Fig Leaf", from this month's QNM

http://qnm.com/articles/feature304/

I love the look of pieced backgrounds for applique.

Ginny in VT

Old August 15th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

There is one in Carol Doak's book "Easy Paper-Pieced Keepsake Quilts".
Unfortunately, I think the book is out of print, but you may be able to
find one in the library.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 15th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Replying to my own post: amazon.com has some used copies available for
reasonable prices:
http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Paper-Pieced-Keepsake-Quilts-Including/dp/1564771091/ref=sr_1_4/103-7693992-8393412?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187181220&sr=8-4

Julia in MN

Old August 15th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Sunny:
The traditional block, Ozark Maple Leaf, is one of my
favorite tessellation blocks. Here is Marcia Hahn's
version:
http://www.quilterscache.com/O/OzarkMapleLeafBlock.html
You will see that MH uses LOTS of squares. My
preference is to eliminate some seams, using rectangles
where possible. You might want to google to find other
pattern options for this one.

If you make it with two leaves of autumn color, and the
other two sections in a neutral, all the neutral
background will tessellate easily. OR ... you could do
as I did, and make EVERY leaf a different color. THAT
means you need to plan this on a design wall so the
fabric carries from one block to the next. I loved that
Wall hanging ... it lives in my dear niece's home now,
so I cannot post a photo.

Good luck, PAT in VA/USA

Old August 15th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Sunny:
Here is a pattern for a small block; this is a wall
hanging made with paper foundation piecing.
http://www.averyspecialcollection.co...bits/page1.htm
This pattern is on page one of the "Little Bits" section.
NAYY, but Cindi is a local quilter and an acquaintance.
Her work and her patterns are very good. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

Old August 15th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Oh Thanks Ginny. I don't know why I haven't received my most recent
QNM but this is perfect! Thank you

Sunny

Old August 15th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Thank you Pat! I went to Quilters Cache but didn't find this. I just
didn't know the name. Thanks.

Sunny