One for Pastafarians everywhere

Old December 10th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Default One for Pastafarians everywhere

How about a knitted Flying Spaghetti Monster???

http://lunastrixae.blogspot.com/2006...m-sighted.html

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old December 10th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Taueret

I LOVE IT!

Taueret

--
NSW, Australia
http://taueret.typepad.com

Old December 11th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"The Other Kim" wrote in message
How about a knitted Flying Spaghetti Monster???

http://lunastrixae.blogspot.com/2006...m-sighted.html

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

That's fun.

But can someone tell me why the word 'Christmas' is never said or written?

I could be wrong of course (it has been known!) but that tree looked like a
Christmas tree and the upcoming holiday is surely the Christmas holiday?

Mary

Old December 11th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

"The Other Kim" wrote in message
How about a knitted Flying Spaghetti Monster???

http://lunastrixae.blogspot.com/2006...m-sighted.html

That's fun.

But can someone tell me why the word 'Christmas' is never
said or written?

because it's an American site & Americans are oh-so-
politically-correct about not favoring one religion over
another. it might offend someone to mention Christmas, despite
the fact that it has become a pretty much totally secular
holiday here.

I could be wrong of course (it has been known!) but that
tree looked like a Christmas tree and the upcoming holiday
is surely the Christmas holiday?

apparently it escapes the notice of the politically correct
that most religions have some sort of holiday around the
winter solstice... usually involving lights, or the return of
the sunlight. i really don't understand how mentioning the
name of the holiday you celebrate at this time of year could
or would offend others, or if it does, why that should bother
one. it is, after all, the offendee's problem, not yours. some
people take offense at the weirdest things.
lee
Old December 11th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Lee wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

"The Other Kim" wrote in message
How about a knitted Flying Spaghetti Monster???

http://lunastrixae.blogspot.com/2006...m-sighted.html

That's fun.

But can someone tell me why the word 'Christmas' is never
said or written?

because it's an American site & Americans are oh-so-
politically-correct about not favoring one religion over
another. it might offend someone to mention Christmas, despite
the fact that it has become a pretty much totally secular
holiday here.

Yes, it's pretty much become a secular holiday, but the fact is that
there are people here, like me and my family, who don't celebrate
Christmas even in a secular way. Sure, I have a tree, but I celebrate
Solstice, which always happens before Christmas. The rest of my family
is Jewish, and Hanukkah ends tomorrow. No Christmas here.

I have no issue if someone wants to talk about Christmas on their
website; it's theirs, they can talk about whatever they want. I have,
however, started responding to workers in grocery stores who with me a
"Merry Christmas" with "Glad Yule". I think it's rather arrogant to
just assume that everyone acknowledges Christmas. When I was a kid all
stores wished everyone "Happy Holidays" and no one got all offended by
that.

Then you have people like Bill O'Reilly who made up this "war on
Christmas" a few years ago, mostly to bash folks like the ACLU who have
rightly brought court cases against municipalities who put up religious
Christmas displays without allowing other religions to have their
displays.

I could be wrong of course (it has been known!) but that
tree looked like a Christmas tree and the upcoming holiday
is surely the Christmas holiday?

apparently it escapes the notice of the politically correct
that most religions have some sort of holiday around the
winter solstice... usually involving lights, or the return of
the sunlight.

And Christmas was put there to counteract the pagan celebrations.

i really don't understand how mentioning the
name of the holiday you celebrate at this time of year could or
would offend others, or if it does, why that should bother
one. it is, after all, the offendee's problem, not yours. some
people take offense at the weirdest things.
lee

Well, since I acknowledged my paganism some 7 years ago I've become more
aware of which stores near me understand that Christmas isn't the only
holiday at this time of year, and I tend to avoid those who only promote
Christmas. Call me petty, but it's my money and I'll spend it where I
please.

Why does every store have to acknowledge Christmas at the exclusion of
others? Besides, it wasn't non-Christians who fired the first shot in
the so-called "war on Christmas". It was Christians who threatened to
boycott stores because they dared to say "Happy Holidays". What you're
seeing from non-Christians is called backlash. These Christians groups,
like Focus on the Family - and maybe they should focus on their own
highly dysfunctional families instead of others' - are doing their
damnedest to shove their religion at everyone, and they get upset when
the Constitution is shoved in their faces in response. Too bad. We
have a secular government, with no mention of God in the Constitution -
a "Creator" is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence, but that's
not the foundational document of this country - and John Adams signed
the Treaty of Tripoli, which clearly states that this country is in no
way a Christian nation; this matters because the Constitution states
that any treaties that have been signed and ratified become supreme law
of the land.

Offense is in the eye of the beholder, this is true; however, maybe
there's a reason for the offense people take at some things. This is
just the latest.

Old December 11th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
The Other Kim wrote:
Lee wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote

"The Other Kim" wrote in message

How about a knitted Flying Spaghetti Monster???

http://lunastrixae.blogspot.com/2006...m-sighted.html

Some time ago there was a website with a knitted hat that
was a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

That's fun.

But can someone tell me why the word 'Christmas' is never
said or written?

because it's an American site & Americans are oh-so-
politically-correct about not favoring one religion over
another. it might offend someone to mention Christmas, despite
the fact that it has become a pretty much totally secular
holiday here.

snip
I could be wrong of course (it has been known!) but that
tree looked like a Christmas tree and the upcoming holiday
is surely the Christmas holiday?

apparently it escapes the notice of the politically correct
that most religions have some sort of holiday around the
winter solstice... usually involving lights, or the return of
the sunlight.

And Christmas was put there to counteract the pagan celebrations.

And the tree is not from Christianity either.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster was created to point out that
using the same rules some fundamentalists wanted, any off-the-wall
concept could claim equal time. It has since become very popular.

=Tamar
What would FSM do? Touch you with His Noodly Appendage!
Old December 11th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

[...]

Yup :-)

Mary

Old December 14th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Dec 11, 6:13 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"The Other Kim" wrote in ...

How about a knitted Flying Spaghetti Monster???

http://lunastrixae.blogspot.com/2006...m-sighted.html

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

That's fun.

Mary

I love this monster! What is this wool? Can it be knit with any
worsted?

Wendy
Old December 14th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Wendy wrote:

On Dec 11, 6:13 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"The Other Kim" wrote in

How about a knitted Flying Spaghetti Monster???

http://lunastrixae.blogspot.com/2006...m-sighted.html

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

That's fun.

Mary

I love this monster! What is this wool? Can it be knit with any
worsted?

I would assume so. Once I'm done with all the holiday knitting I'm
gonna see what I have in my stash for this.

Now to find a knitted Cthulhu...

Old December 14th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"The Other Kim" wrote in
:

I would assume so. Once I'm done with all the holiday
knitting I'm gonna see what I have in my stash for this.

i'd use a spool knitter instead of making miles of I-cord.
gah!

Now to find a knitted Cthulhu...

ah! here you go!
http://community.livejournal.com/knitting/3760537.html
scroll down past the comments to get the pattern.
lee