Can someone help me find the right yarn?

Old August 21st 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Can someone help me find the right yarn?

My 15YO son wants a new helmet liner-type hat to wear under his bicycle
helmet to give him some padding and absorb sweat. He wants blue -- not
baby blue, but a medium-darkish blue.

I am trying to avoid getting something expensive but can't find anything
at the local big-box stores (n.b. I refuse to shop at W*lmart because I
am sure good old Sam is spinnign in his grave at what his children have
done to his store) that comes in a cotton or cotton blend anything close
to that kind of blue, and I tried to talk him into a variegated to no
avail.

I really am not into spinning my own or dyeing my own, but I really wish
I could find something that wasn't $7 for a 1-ounce skein that was
cotton in a lightweight worsted weight, or even a sport weight that I
could double up. Does anybody have any ideas of what to look for or
where to look?

TIA,
Melinda
who still has not sewn up the baby jeans because of back problems that
are now resolved, so they will get sewn up this week, and who has
finished one poncho but is not totally happy with it and so is knitting
another one in a different style
--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old August 21st 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly[_2_]

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

I really am not into spinning my own or dyeing my own, but I really wish
I could find something that wasn't $7 for a 1-ounce skein that was
cotton in a lightweight worsted weight, or even a sport weight that I
could double up. Does anybody have any ideas of what to look for or
where to look?

Brown Sheep Cotton Fine. 80/20 cotton/wool. Google is your friend.
Old August 21st 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Wooly wrote:
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

I really am not into spinning my own or dyeing my own, but I really
wish I could find something that wasn't $7 for a 1-ounce skein that
was cotton in a lightweight worsted weight, or even a sport weight
that I could double up. Does anybody have any ideas of what to look
for or where to look?

Brown Sheep Cotton Fine. 80/20 cotton/wool. Google is your friend.

I already Googled for "blue cotton yarn" and "cotton worsted yarn" as
well as checking a number of places I know of that sell lots of
different kinds of yarn to see what they had. (Didn't check Ebay,
because it's murder hunting for a particular color)

If I had seen cotton/wool yarn, I would have bypassed it, anyway. I
don't know if my son is going to want cotton/wool when the temps get
over 100 here. Isn't that going to be a bit warm in the heat, or does
that small amount of wool not make a difference.

Old August 21st 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly[_2_]

If I had seen cotton/wool yarn, I would have bypassed it, anyway. I
don't know if my son is going to want cotton/wool when the temps get
over 100 here. Isn't that going to be a bit warm in the heat, or does
that small amount of wool not make a difference.

I use Cotton Fine for socks, which I wear in 115F temps in Texas - my
feet sweat less in Cotton Fine socks than they do in wool/nylon blend
socks. If you don't mention the wool content he won't notice it.

There are plenty of places around that sell Brown Sheep. Googling for
"Brown Sheep Cotton Fine" ought to find at least a couple with some of
the blues on hand.
Old August 21st 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Wooly wrote:

I use Cotton Fine for socks, which I wear in 115F temps in Texas - my
feet sweat less in Cotton Fine socks than they do in wool/nylon blend
socks. If you don't mention the wool content he won't notice it.

That's good information to know -- I am a relatively new knitter and
would never have guessed. Thanks!

Old August 21st 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

The best Summer threads is now Bamboo , but not for socks ,,,
Ps a bit of wool in socks is good for the feet and does NOT make them
sweat more ,,,,, Best anti sweat thing is Good washing with anti
septic soap ,,,
mirjam

Old August 21st 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
The best Summer threads is now Bamboo , but not for socks ,,,
Ps a bit of wool in socks is good for the feet and does NOT make them
sweat more ,,,,, Best anti sweat thing is Good washing with anti
septic soap ,,,
mirjam

Years ago one of my aunts knit a pair of wool socks for my Dad. He couldn't
wear them at all. In fact he couldn't wear anything wool (someone also gave
him a sweater once) because he would break out in a rash and itch like
crazy. The doctor told him he was allergic to wool and to avoid it like the
plague. The sweater was given away, I wore the socks a few times then
packed them away in a drawer because I prefer to be barefoot or in sandals
more than anything else... and I came to the conclusion a long time ago that
I don't particularly like the feel of wool against my bare skin anyway (one
of my sisters can't stand the feel of flannel... so to each his/her own).
However, my son now wears the wool socks in the winter. Those things have a
life of their own... they have to be at least thirty years old now and still
in perfect condition. )

*hugs*
Gemini

Old August 21st 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

You might look at Elann as they have a couple of kinds of cotton yarn
at reasonable prices. Go to www.elann.com and then look their own
brand yarns. You can also go to their product page and click on yarn
and then sort by fiber to get all of the cottons they have. I noticed
a cotton sport weight yarn called Lara that had three blues. They
sell discounted yarn -- usually a good bargain.
I am not connected with them but have used them a good bit as they are
very reliable and have good prices.
(However, I also like Brown Sheep yarn as was mentioned)

Old August 21st 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

You might also google elann.com sonata and look at that one. It has
lots of blue shades to choose from.

Old August 21st 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

Look for Patons Grace. I recently bought a ball of it in azure (medium blue)
at Michaels where the regular price was $3.99 for 50 grams. It's 100%
cotton and has a suggested gauge of 6 sts/inch.

--
Jan in MN

"Melinda Meahan wrote...
[...]

Vintage Knitting Book - How to find proper yarn MP Yarn 4 August 22nd 07 07:44 PM
Wicked Excited to Find a *Yarn* Newsgroup! Abigail Palmer Yarn 10 January 21st 07 10:46 AM
Yarn find BonnieBlue Yarn 2 December 18th 05 02:31 PM
F/A: Yarn Blowout! 5 skiens winter white sport yarn! N S Marketplace 0 May 19th 04 03:19 AM
AD: Find the items you cant find + more brett Rubberstamps 0 February 24th 04 01:12 PM