The Hat picture

Old August 16th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default The Hat picture

I call it the Aberdeen Hat because the grey reminds me of granite (Aberdeen
is the Granite City), the gold is the beautiful beach and the blue/green is
the lovely colour of the sea there. Aberdeen is also in Scotland - quite a
long way north - and although this hat is triangular it's not unlike a Scots
bonnet although without the toorie.

We both wore it at different times, here's Spouse.

We had an enjoyable time in Aberdeen, visiting the Maritime Museum on two
days because it was too interesting to miss anything and taking part in
Tartan Day, which involved twelve pipe bands marching down the long,
straight, Union Street. They heralded Rex Splendidus, a pageant with several
horses and glorious C16th clothing for the ladies and splendid armour for
the knights. It was to commemorate the visit of James IV to the city in
1507.

Sadly, while we were there, my mother died. I was told on my return and have
had to deal with various things since then. Mum was 96 and died peacefully,
leaving me as the Mater Familias. Hmm, I don't know that I like being the
oldest of everyone else!

Mary

Hm. I seem only to be able to upload one picture. I'll try again later.

http://www.tinypic.ca/files/4hnrtwvmg5mykmjqgmd0.jpg

Old August 16th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Aug 17, 3:26 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Sadly, while we were there, my mother died. I was told on my return and have
had to deal with various things since then. Mum was 96 and died peacefully,
leaving me as the Mater Familias.

My condolences Mary. 96 is a fine innings.

VP

Old August 17th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about your mother.

BB
Old August 17th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

So sorry for you loss,
Coggie

Old August 17th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:26:11 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

I'm so sorry Mary but it was kind of the family to let your finish
your break before giving you the sad news.

Bernadette

Old August 17th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Aug 16, 11:26 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about your mother, Mary. I remember feeling the same
when
my mother died, about suddenly being the oldest in the family.

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 17th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Well, thank you all for your sympathy but Mum was 96 and for the last few
years knew nothing about anything outside her world, which was television.
She died peacefully, in her sleep and well cared for in a hospital.

I'm feeling relieved because I no longer have to worry about her and make
those very difficult telephone calls which always went the same way, I knew
by heart what she would say :-( And I'm pleased that she didn't suffer at
all, unlike my Dad many years ago.

I'm sad because my brother didn't contact me when she went into hospital,
before we were away. I'd have dropped anything to go and be with her.

My mother was a clever, creative, energetic and artistic woman, a great
force in the community, ambitious for me and disappointed that she felt my
Dad held her back. My attitude is that one's achievements should be measured
in personal happiness, not in financial or career terms.

More appropriate to this group, my Mum taught me knitting, crochet,
embroidery, dressmaking and the like, as well as cooking and baking. I still
think of her every time I make bread, which is every week. But that was in
her young and middle years, before my Dad died.

The great unhappy reality about situations like these, which we can't avoid,
is that we're looking at a reflection of ourselves in the future. I'm very
like my mother in many ways ...

Nobody's said anything about my hat ... I'm quite proud of it and I've
described the long process of making it, I thought someone would be
interested :-)

Thank you all, again,

Mary

Old August 17th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:00:36 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

I think it looks super Mary. It just didn't seem right to go straight from
condolences to a "where did you get that hat" theme.

I'm looking forward to seeing it on either you or your husband.

Bernadette

A new picture Shillelagh Yarn 14 April 9th 07 04:31 PM
New Picture Shillelagh Yarn 10 August 17th 06 07:47 PM
My BOM picture joysjane Quilting 27 February 12th 05 10:23 PM
New picture Norma Yarn 3 October 22nd 03 07:17 AM
New Picture Unclbennie Quilting 2 July 30th 03 01:36 AM