Why the slow down in knitting during the summer months?

Old July 31st 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

Default Why the slow down in knitting during the summer months?

I have always wondered why the knitting community slows down during
summer. Most of us can knit in air conditioned comfort of our homes,
local yarn shops, work or car. I suppose t here are more distractions
during summer with vacations etc. but I find that I have a bit more
time to knit than some other times of the year.

Your thoughts on this?

Padishar Creel

Old July 31st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have always wondered why the knitting community slows down during
summer. Most of us can knit in air conditioned comfort of our homes,
local yarn shops, work or car. I suppose t here are more distractions
during summer with vacations etc. but I find that I have a bit more
time to knit than some other times of the year.

Your thoughts on this?

Padishar Creel

My output stays more or less the same, I knit while listening to the plays
on radio which are pretty constant throughout the year. But I also knit in
the garden when the weather's good enough, with my hens for company.

We don't have air conditioning in our house, it's not necessary (English
temperature can be controlled with curtains, doors and windows), I don't
like to shop, I don't have a job and never knit in the car - it's a bit
dangerous :-). Nor do we have holidays.

But we're not Mr and Mrs Average and you have a good point.

Mary

Old July 31st 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have always wondered why the knitting community slows down during
summer. Most of us can knit in air conditioned comfort of our homes,
local yarn shops, work or car. I suppose t here are more distractions
during summer with vacations etc. but I find that I have a bit more
time to knit than some other times of the year.

Your thoughts on this?

Padishar Creel

I think you hit the nail on the head.... more "distractions". I'm an avid
gardner, so spend what could be knitting time out weeding, watering
etc. We visit people more often too, and then there's vacation time.

However, my knitting group meets weekly right through summer, and
I always look forward to it.

Shelagh

Old August 1st 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

I have always wondered why the knitting community slows down during
summer. Most of us can knit in air conditioned comfort of our homes,
local yarn shops, work or car. I suppose t here are more distractions
during summer with vacations etc. but I find that I have a bit more
time to knit than some other times of the year.

Your thoughts on this?

Padishar Creel

With the longer daylight hours of summer, I have more energy, so I tend
to spend my time doing other things. Currently, I'm working on getting
parts of the house organized and fixing up a few rooms - things I tend
to avoid during the dreary Ohio winters.

BB
Old August 1st 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

I have always wondered why the knitting community slows down during
summer. Most of us can knit in air conditioned comfort of our homes,
local yarn shops, work or car. I suppose t here are more distractions
during summer with vacations etc. but I find that I have a bit more
time to knit than some other times of the year.

I don't have air conditioning (I prefer open windows, personally), so when
it's hot I tend to slow down on my yarnwork. More often than not though it
has more to do with the humidity rather than just the heat... with me
anyway.

Lately my hands and arms have been allowing me to actually do more knitting
and crochetting.... but I tend to wait until the evening, after having a
cooling dip in the pool to bring my body temperature down. Then I do a bit
of yarnwork while watching TV, until I either get a bit over-heated, or my
hands and arms start telling me they've had enough for the night. On the
really hot and humid days I tend to have to cool off in the pool at least
three times (spaced out over a few hours of course), and if I still find it
too hot, I just refuse to even think about picking up the yarnwork at all.
)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old August 2nd 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
karlisa

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have always wondered why the knitting community slows down during
summer. Most of us can knit in air conditioned comfort of our homes,
local yarn shops, work or car. I suppose t here are more distractions
during summer with vacations etc. but I find that I have a bit more
time to knit than some other times of the year.

Your thoughts on this?

Padishar Creel

I live in South Carolina and it's excruciatingly hot in summer. Although we
have air conditioning, I think I tend to associate knitting with fall and
winter. Plus, I've never been wild about knitting patterns that are
designed for summer wear. Even with cotton or linen yarns, the idea of
wearing a knitted garment in this moist heat makes me cringe. So I guess
I've always bypasssed the stuff that's marketed for summer knitting.

This year is an exception, however, and I've knitted quite a bit non-stop,
especially after the kids go to bed. Christmas is only 5 months away,
after all. :-) I always plan more projects than I can possibly complete,
it seems.

lisa

Old August 2nd 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Shelagh
I feel like you , summer has so many Outside distractions ,,,, of
course summer here is hot , but i knit cottons , In former times
before the slow down in knitting that happened 15 [ minus plus] years
ago , Woman all knitted in winter and embroidered in summer ,,,, i
never stopped knitting and indeed with A/C [ esp in FREEZING BUSSES ]
i went on knitting ,,,,Now with the Renaissnace of knitting , many
people knit all year round , and others are back to knitting in winter
only , embroidering in summer ....
mirjam

Old August 3rd 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

I do roughly the same amount of knitting/crocheting during the
summer as the winter. I always have a sock in my handbag to work on
during odd moments and do a lot of afghan squares during the
evenings. It's too hot here to go outside much during the summer so
I'm home a lot more....
Marie and the cats

Old August 5th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jul 31, 6:48 pm, Padishar Creel wrote:
I have always wondered why the knitting community slows down during
summer. Most of us can knit in air conditioned comfort of our homes,
local yarn shops, work or car. I suppose t here are more distractions
during summer with vacations etc. but I find that I have a bit more
time to knit than some other times of the year.

Your thoughts on this?

I am just too busy with other things. And I resent it, because
knitting is
my sanity! g

That being said, I did buy some luscious yarn for the fall, when I
will be
doing myself TWO shawls!

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 18th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

This year it has seems that my knitting has increased during the
summer. I have more places to go with two teenagers, but I seem to be
doing an awful lot of sitting and waiting while they are doing
sports , jobs, volunteer work. My big stuff ( the sweaters and afghans
I have going) stay at home to be worked on at night , but I have
completed 4 pairs of socks this summer in just the waiting time I have
had.
Coggie in MI

posts are slow spinninglilac Yarn 24 January 14th 06 02:31 PM
Ot with official summer time declared , summer projevts come to mind. Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 12 April 2nd 05 10:35 PM
newsgroup very slow on DSL Dr. Quilter Quilting 3 May 21st 04 04:00 PM
Slow vs Fast Doug Porter Pottery 3 September 13th 03 01:08 AM