What to take to a quilt retreat?

Old October 20th 05, 05:44 PM

Default What to take to a quilt retreat?

Thanks, KJ! I am certainly putting that nifty caddy on my to-do list,
but I think that your suggestion works better given my limited
time-frame for packing!

Old October 20th 05, 05:45 PM

Thanks, Joan! Good thing I have a big vehicle (LOL). Now to go get that
loan for gas...

Old October 20th 05, 05:51 PM

Thanks, Cindy!

Old October 20th 05, 06:08 PM
Julia in MN

You may want to check whether any of the things on the list are
provided. You don't want to take more than you have to. The retreats I
go to regularly furnish towels and bedding. Also coffee & tea and mugs,
etc., are all supplied. There are irons, ironing boards, large cutting
mats, extension cords, etc. provided. I fold the top over on a
lunch-size paper bag and tape it to the table beside my machine to catch
thread snips, etc. I also take my sewing chair because the height is
adjustable and it has wheels -- works better for me than the chairs
provided at the retreat.

Julia in MN
ann wrote:
Hi DeNise,

I just went to my first quilt retreat this past weekend! Had a blast.
Here is what I found is nice to take. Towel, sheets, quilt,
flashlight, mug for coffee/tea, creamer, sugar or sugar substitute,
rotary cutter (take extra blades), scissors (one for fabric, one for
paper), sewing machine with lots of bobbins, extra needles for machine,
little fan, a light, a log extension cord with surge protector and lots
of space for plugs, iron, iron pad, toiletries in a bag or box, candy
to share, soda or bottled water and cup to drink, fabric, thread, and
any other quilting supplies you may need. Also take some hand work if
you have it to pass the time when you get tired of the machine and want
to take a break. Oh and the best thing I found and used a lot is one
of the thread snips caddies to put your snips and bits of thread into.
There is a great free pattern for one at
http://www.janome.com/project_show.php?id=449
It is really useful.

Gets lots of sleep before you go because you will want to stay up all
night stitching and talking with the ladies! Just relax and have a
great time!!!!

Ann in Maryland

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 20th 05, 06:27 PM
Sandy Foster

In article .com,
" wrote:

Hi gang!
I am so excited! I am headed for my first quilt retreat this weekend.
I've started packing for it and would like to know from anyone who has
been what are absolute must-haves? I think I have packed all of the
basics, so I'm looking for what would really come in handy. BTW, I'm
taking a bargello class using Chris Timmins (hope I spelled it right)
pattern. I look forward to your responses, and TIA!
DeNise

Chocolate! G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 20th 05, 08:22 PM

The best part of a Retreat is wearing your MOST comfy clothes and sewing
uninterrupted for hours and talking and giggling with friends. Then
having meals prepared and served, and going back to sewing without
worrying about clean up. This year I WILL remember to take my Ott light!
Nancycog in MD

Old October 20th 05, 08:39 PM
KJ

Ahhh these are all good suggestions! I wish I were going on a retreat now!

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Mary in Rock Island IL" wrote in message
Take along more to work on than you think you will get to. My last
retreat I was amazingly productive, got through most of my extra and
wished I had brought more. Even if you don't get it all done, it is
nice to have choices.

Beyond the fabulous suggestions you have already gotten, I also like
to take my slippers--keep my feet warm but not as confining as my
shoes. And take whatever is necessary so you can take a walk outside,
most retreats are in gorgeous settings.

Have fun!

Mary

Old October 20th 05, 08:45 PM
Betty in Wi

Also a book to read.......and a book light if you are sharing a room. And
don't forget soap and deodorant....like I did last year......not to worry, a
friend going into town bought me some.

Betty

Old October 20th 05, 09:15 PM
KJ

I would also add......EARPLUGS! As one of the snoring offenders, I'm a lot
more comfortable if I know my roommates have a way to stifle my nocturnal
noise....other than smothering me with a pillow. And I'm sure they are
waaaaay more comfortable!

Old October 20th 05, 10:21 PM
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

And don't forget the foot pedal and power cord for your sewing machine.

joan