Now I feel guilty.

Old October 8th 05, 04:56 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Until I came to this group, and learned how others were making whole
cloth Katrina quilts, it never entered my mind I could make anything
quickly enough and I needed some practice. I sent one quilt and 4
Katrina counterpanes (no batting) two weeks ago and they are still
sitting somewhere in a Fed Ex warehouse in LA! When I told my husband I
didn't think that quilt was good enough to send because it had two
puckers on the back (but the counterpanes looked okay), he said, "Put it
in the box and send it. No one who doesn't make quilts will think it
isn't just fine." So I sent it. Hopefully the new ones will be better,
but maybe the homeless won't care if it helps keep them warm.

Bookbug wrote:
Gee Phyllis, you make it sound as if you bought the stuff cheap and are
going to make a bundle selling it on the black market. LOL! You've
got great plans for that fabric, and the people in shelters in your
town will appreciate your work and good heart.

Michelle, who is making a Katrina quilt.

Old October 8th 05, 04:57 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Thank you so much. By tomorrow morning I'll be working on them and
perhaps forget the look on their faces.

Georg wrote:
Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

I have no way to get in touch with them, no time to go though
everything (I just picked up all the brown pieces, pieced them
together for the back, and only cut them enough to make their edges
meet and measure 45 x 72"; will do the same with the other colors to
coordinate with the fabric I have for the tops), and feeling
absolutely terrible.

They could have been there earlier than you.

They may have had just as noble of intentions, or been intending use it
all on their grandkidsm or hide in their stash for years and years. Or,
just as likely, rifle through it, and then sniff- the fabric may not
have been to their taste or up to their standards.

You don't know. It didn't happen. Don't think of it.

Think of the warmth you will bring with your hands and what you will do
with it to bring joy.

-georg

Old October 8th 05, 04:59 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

You made me smile, Thank you. Maybe I'm just being silly.

D Curtis wrote:
I can hardly believe Wendy didnt offer to do the FQ ritual to the cotton
gods to lessen your guilt. Its not to late to do it. Send one FQ to her
or me and one of us will perform the ritual and you will feel guiltless
and be able to enjoy the good works your new fabric will allow.
Diana, thinking the early bird got the worm and deserves to enjoy it.

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

This morning, at 8 a.m., I left the house and went to a garage sale
that advertised quilting fabric, but they wouldn't open until 9. I
dropped some books off at the library and went back and sat until they
opened about 5 minutes early. I was the first one in the garage and
told her I'd take all the fabric on the table plus the batting in two
bags.

I don't remember which of you nice ladies first talked about making
Katrina quilts fast by using whole cloth and piecing only where
needed, but that's what I intend to do with this fabric; only for the
homeless here in town (can't afford any more postage at almost $1 a
pound).

As they were totaling up what I owed, two other people arrived and
wanted to know if the fabric in front of me at the cashier table was
for sale, and I told her and him I already bought it. Now I feel
terribly selfish and feel I should have offered to share it with them,
but I hadn't gone through it, just bought all of it, so didn't know
what I'd be willing to share. It was a full table of fabric pieces
and I know they're going to a good cause (I had one back pieced and
ready for sewing to the top within an hour), but there are so few
garage sales in town with quilting fabric (this was Joanne-type, not
LQS type) that now I am feeling terribly guilty.

Old October 8th 05, 05:06 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

I just kept thinking maybe they wanted it for quilts for their grandkids
or someone in the family, and family is precious. It just makes me
realize that I'm going to have to use every bit of it. I used five
pieces from the sale and two pieces from my stash for the back, and the
top came from my stash as well on the quilt I worked on today.

I know you're right. With all this support another 24 hours probably
will have me back to normal (whatever normal is).

Patti wrote:
Please don't feel guilty, Phyllis.
You are putting all your effort into making beautiful and useful things
for others. Maybe the other people had no ideas of what they would have
used it for anyway? Just think of it like this: if you had gone to a
fabric store and had picked up to buy all that was in the bargain bin,
and two people came in after you and saw them on the counter as you were
paying for it. If they had said they liked it, and you said 'sorry,
I've just bought it all to make charity quilts', they would probably
have said 'Oh that's fine, we were just wondering' , don't you think?
You wouldn't have felt guilty then would you?
Just be glad the opportunity arose for you to buy a lot for what you
could afford.
.
In message , Phyllis Nilsson
writes

Old October 8th 05, 05:11 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Would you believe I have no friends (except here) that quilt. My sister
isn't interested anymore and most of my friends dont' make anything with
their hands (a sad commentary to my eyes). I did take your advice and I
did make a back for one quilt today.

Remember the posts on the Ugli Quilt that was really a sleeping bag for
the homeless. One thing mentioned to use for filling was a cotton
mattress pad. Well, I'm using one for this quilt and if this one
doesn't keep someone very warm, I'd be surprised. I have one more to
use then I have to go back to batting. Home the batting is as warm as
the mattress pad. It isn't unusual for our cold to hit 10-15 degrees
below 0.

Just want to thank you all for being so supportive. Since you all can't
be wrong, it's time to feel guiltless and keep on sewing.

R. E. Wicker wrote:
Good Grief! Start cutting and sewing you will soon
get over the guilt. I think the guilt might come from fear of not
getting many many quilts made before folding. Call in friends share
the project. You did good! You can do better! Cut! Cut! Sew!
Sew!

Rhoda

Old October 8th 05, 05:15 AM
nzlstar*

eat some brownies.
that always helps get ya back to normal, usual, status quo.
u did real good with that score, heehee.
well done on sewing all those beautys for folks that need them so badly.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote...

Old October 8th 05, 05:35 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

You guys are wonderful. I have four dozen hat, scarf, and mitten sets
for the homeless and another four dozen sets plus two dozen peruvian
type hats for the indigent school children that I made in the eight
months prior to starting quilting again, but they haven't been picked up
yet. They go to the shelters, but I'd like to make these quilts for
those who actualy sleep outside during the winter; some folks just don't
feel safe in shelters for whatever reason. The kids' stuff I take to
the schools myself. Some of those children are dressed very
inappropriately for winter I'm told by the school nurses. At least some
won't be so cold this winter.

Old October 8th 05, 11:18 AM
D Curtis

Nope, not silly at all. I probably would feel the same way as you did.
There isnt any logical reason to feel that way but I still would. Then
I'd get over and say neener neener neener...and enjoy, and cackle with glee!
Diana

Old October 8th 05, 12:58 PM
Roberta Zollner

No need to feel guilty at all!!! You're planning to make actual quilts out
of all this, plus you're giving them away to people who need them. For all
you know, the other couple would have put it in a stash and left it there
for years, after which their progeny would have sold it in a garage sale.
And if you really analyzed your feelings, the guilt might just come from
your extraordinary pleasure in finding quilty stuff for sale cheap! You are
a good person: most of us would just feel apallingly smug.
Roberta in D

"Phyllis Nilsson" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...