Needing Crochet Hook Help!

Old December 24th 04, 08:04 PM
Brandie Renea

Default Needing Crochet Hook Help!

I'm in the midst of making little christmas decorations/knick-knacks and
my steel crochet hooks are... well... they're getting pretty bad. I'm
still relatively new to this so I was wondering if there was anything I
could do to keep my steel hooks in good condition. I'm pretty sure one
of them has even started to rust because I suffer from a bad case of the
hand sweats. That's lovely I'm tellin ya! Any tips will be extremely
appreciated

I hope everyone has a great Christmas this year!

--
+ Brandie Renea
Old December 24th 04, 08:47 PM
spampot

Brandie Renea wrote:
I'm in the midst of making little christmas decorations/knick-knacks and
my steel crochet hooks are... well... they're getting pretty bad. I'm
still relatively new to this so I was wondering if there was anything I
could do to keep my steel hooks in good condition. I'm pretty sure one
of them has even started to rust because I suffer from a bad case of the
hand sweats. That's lovely I'm tellin ya! Any tips will be extremely
appreciated

I hope everyone has a great Christmas this year!

Well, with edged garden tools, they tell you to clean them well, make
sure they're dry (with a crochet hook, a swab with rubbing alcohol will
break the surface tension of any water left), and oil them very lightly.
I suppose then you'd have to clean the oil off next time you used the
hook, but it's probably worth it.

Just an idea.

And everyone have a wonderful holiday, whether it's Christmas, Solstice,
or Hogmanay!
Old December 24th 04, 10:01 PM
Seaspray

I was going to suggest the same thing. I have a friend who knits and she
must use either plastic or wooden needles. Her body has a reaction to the
ordinary knitting needle causing a excema type reaction. A few trips to the
skin doctor helped to determine this.
Diane
***********************
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Brandi , why not buy plastic hooks ?
mirjam

Old December 24th 04, 10:10 PM
handmaiden

Brandie Renea wrote:
I'm in the midst of making little christmas decorations/knick-knacks and
my steel crochet hooks are... well... they're getting pretty bad. I'm
still relatively new to this so I was wondering if there was anything I
could do to keep my steel hooks in good condition. I'm pretty sure one
of them has even started to rust because I suffer from a bad case of the
hand sweats. That's lovely I'm tellin ya! Any tips will be extremely
appreciated

I hope everyone has a great Christmas this year!

For the rust, lightly going over them with steel wool (fine or
very-fine) will take the rust off without undue damage to the hooks. I
store mine in a fabric lined box made out of plastic canvas (so it
breathes) and they stay fine.
~handmaiden

Old December 24th 04, 11:47 PM
Brandie Renea

I do have some bigger plastic hooks for yarn but with thread crochet
they only make them out of nickel-plated steel. I think that once you go
over a size 6 you start getting the plastic and aluminuim ones.

Thank you so much for the help everyone!

Old December 25th 04, 08:30 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

My friend Haya , brouught me a 2 mm bamboe hook from Denmark mirjam
Old December 25th 04, 06:01 PM
Janise Ross

Brandie...might you be able to put clear nail polish on the handle part of
the hooks, just leaving the hook part unpolished? That way, you will still
get the same gauge, but the handles would be protected. Of course, if you
were to do this, you should clean the handle first, and make sure that it is
dry both after you clean it and after you put on the polish. (By the way, I
did this with some aluminum knitting needles that I have. There were deep
grooves in the needles on which the yarn was getting caught. I put on clear
nail polish and it was almost like new.)

Janise

"Brandie Renea" wrote in message
I'm in the midst of making little christmas decorations/knick-knacks and
my steel crochet hooks are... well... they're getting pretty bad. I'm
still relatively new to this so I was wondering if there was anything I
could do to keep my steel hooks in good condition. I'm pretty sure one of
them has even started to rust because I suffer from a bad case of the hand
sweats. That's lovely I'm tellin ya! Any tips will be extremely
appreciated

I hope everyone has a great Christmas this year!

--
+ Brandie Renea

bone crochet hook lovehandcrafts Carving 1 November 19th 04 04:05 AM
Crochet Hook / Yarn Question Maeven Yarn 8 November 18th 04 01:18 AM
Crochet Hook / Yarn Question Maeven Yarn 0 November 17th 04 12:07 AM
Crochet hook case Katherine Yarn 10 November 5th 04 01:00 PM
FS/giveaway: Crochet (mostly) books & patterns Joan Erickson Marketplace 2 October 9th 04 09:56 PM