How to do a purl twist 2?

Old January 10th 04, 01:26 PM
Angela Faye Oon

Default How to do a purl twist 2?

Hello,

I'm new to knitting and new to this newsgroup :-).

I'm currently trying to do the following project:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/proj..._knitproj.html

However, I'm starting to wonder if I bit off more than I can chew, as I'm
doing cable for the first time. I'm also stumped at the instruction "purl
twist 2" - I can't figure out how to do it, and I wonder if there are any
resources on the Net where they may be pictures that can show me how.

Thanks!
Angela

Old January 10th 04, 01:42 PM
spampot

Angela Faye Oon wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to knitting and new to this newsgroup :-).

I'm currently trying to do the following project:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/proj..._knitproj.html

However, I'm starting to wonder if I bit off more than I can chew, as I'm
doing cable for the first time. I'm also stumped at the instruction "purl
twist 2" - I can't figure out how to do it, and I wonder if there are any
resources on the Net where they may be pictures that can show me how.

Thanks!
Angela

I wish I could see the afghan better. Is there anyway to enlarge the photo?

Old January 10th 04, 01:49 PM
Slinky

At risk of pointing out the obvious, the directions for that
particular (odd) move are included with the pattern:

Row 2: *K2, P2 together, leave original stitches on left-hand needle,
p the first stitch of the 2 taken together, slip the 2 original
stitches from needle (called a purl twist 2); repeat from * across.

Michelle
Who is dealing with mutiny from the feline population who were put on
a "twice a day" feeding schedule yesterday

Old January 10th 04, 02:45 PM
Katherine

Welcome, Angela.
WHen I read the pattern, I read this:
"*K2, P2 together, leave original stitches on left-hand needle, p the first
stitch of the 2 taken together, slip the 2 original stitches from needle
(called a purl twist 2); " which seems to explain the purl twist. It is
rather confusing, but I guess that it is a cable.
HTH
Katherine

Old January 10th 04, 04:54 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Angela,

Welcome to this great group and boy you have started a great first project for
a new knitter. I see the others have shown you where in your directions the p2
twist is located. Come back and let us know how you are doing.

Nora
Old January 11th 04, 12:24 AM
JudyTurpin

WHen I read the pattern, I read this:
"*K2, P2 together, leave original stitches on left-hand needle, p the first
stitch of the 2 taken together, slip the 2 original stitches from needle
(called a purl twist 2); " which seems to explain the purl twist. It is
rather confusing, but I guess that it is a cable.
HTH
Katherine

My Celtic cardigan does a very similar stitch but it is a right handed knit
twist rather than a purl twist. I was put off by it at first but then just
tried and it works. First purl the two stitches together. Normally you would
then slip the stitches from the left to the right needle but in this pattern,
you don't. You now purl the first stitch again and then slide all of that off
to the right hand needle as they say. My experience was that it gets a little
tight going but the next row (wrong side) probably has you knitting those
stitches which gets it right. It ends up looking great and after a while you
can see how it needs to go. By the way, I found it hard to "tink", (knit
backwards) as the stitches are twisted - so I carefully rip those stitches a
little at a time and pick up when I goof.

JCT
Old January 11th 04, 02:08 AM
Katherine

JudyTurpin wrote:
WHen I read the pattern, I read this:
"*K2, P2 together, leave original stitches on left-hand needle, p the
first stitch of the 2 taken together, slip the 2 original stitches
from needle (called a purl twist 2); " which seems to explain the
[...]

Much better explanation. Thanks.
Katherine

Old January 11th 04, 05:23 AM
Angela Faye Oon

Oh, thank you so much for the detailed explanation! I've printed it out and
I'll follow it carefully and hope I get it right this time. I didn't realise
that you don't slip the stitches off after doing the purl-2 - that was the
block.

This is a fantastic group and you are all such fantastic people - thank you
again!

*Beaming*,
Angela