Alzheimer's--let's not panic over nothing.

Old August 17th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
monique

Default Alzheimer's--let's not panic over nothing.

So much conflicting "science"
Let's not panic about chocolate, beans, and nuts.

Here are two versions of the article about copper and Alzheimer's.
Nowhere does it mention chocolate, beans, or nuts. Notice that the poor
bunnies were on a high-cholesterol diet:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4045
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3140829.stm

But here is research investigating whether some copper compounds might
be beneficial:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1004084327.htm

This is a USA Today article that's adding all the flap:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ifestyle_x.htm
There is nothing in there that specifically says that chocolate--or
nuts--is linked to Alzheimers. What the study in question says is that
people with high blood pressure and diabetes or prediabetes performed
more poorly on cognitive tests. Not surprising.

I haven't found anything to implicate beans, nuts, or chocolate in
specifically causing Alzheimer's--or being in any way linked.

Other studies say that chocolate, beans and nuts are good for you--and
they are. (Just go for the dark cocoa and skip the high-fat options.)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...olate_red.html

Eat a balanced diet low in saturated and transfats, keep your blood
pressure down and your spirits up, and let's all get back to quilting.

Monique in TX
Old August 17th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Well, thank you, Monique, for finding the full reports. I only heard a
little of it on the evening news. The 'shellfish, nuts, chocolate, dried
peas and beans' came from my own brief google search: nutrition, copper. I
didn't have any idea what foods were high in copper. We've had a test made
on our water and it probably says what the copper content is. Wonder where
we put it? Polly

Old August 17th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default O.T. Alzheimer's--let's not panic over nothing.

Howdy!

Thanks, Monique.

Of course, the real cause of Alzheimer's disease is
living on Earth.
Did you ever hear of someone from another planet
having Alzheimer's? Huh?
Well, did you?
Look at all those alien movies and the sci-fi books:
none of them EVER have characters w/ Alzheimer's.
See?

Ragmop/Sandy == who figures "they" can report anything
they want ;-D
remembering where my quilt stash is...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ark_chocolate_

Old August 17th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
monique

Sandy Ellison wrote:

They never have gray hairs, poison ivy, or income taxes either. Clearly
we should move to another planet soon! (I was going to add "Flatulence"
to the list, but there was that one race in the latest Dr. Who....)

Monique

Old August 18th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
blackrosequilts

monique wrote:

Wow. I'm truly impressed with your research abilities (says the woman
who couldn't find a brown paper bag on the internet with help).

Eat a balanced diet low in saturated and transfats, keep your blood
pressure down and your spirits up, and let's all get back to quilting.

Excellent advice!

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old August 20th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Nah, Monique, let's not be hasty ...
"they" don't have quilts either.
Well, I've never seen quilts in Star
Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica,
or Star Gate. If I did, I've forgotten.
;p
PAT

Old August 20th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Quilts on other planets O.T. Alzheimer's--let's not panicover nothing.

Howdy!

The homeland planet of the Ba'ku in Star Trek Insurrection
featured that glorious quilt w/ the waterfall and countryscape.

See? Anything's possible in the big wide quilting world.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old August 21st 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:59:00 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Nah, Monique, let's not be hasty ...
"they" don't have quilts either.
Well, I've never seen quilts in Star
Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica,
or Star Gate. If I did, I've forgotten.
;p
PAT

Quilted clothing and accessories in lots of those shows. Sometimes
odd bits of quilted bedding (in non-cotton fabrics) and various other
forms of needlework show up as well.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 21st 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 19:50:18 GMT, Sandy Ellison
wrote:

Howdy!

The homeland planet of the Ba'ku in Star Trek Insurrection
featured that glorious quilt w/ the waterfall and countryscape.

See? Anything's possible in the big wide quilting world.

Ragmop/Sandy

I believe I've seen one in an episode of the TV show Star Gate. In a
little hovel dwelling on an alien planet that was of really coarse
fabric in various shades of dirty browns and grays used as the only
bedding on the dirt floor.

Lots of quilted clothing on Star Trek and other shows as well.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at