OFF TOPIC - a couple of good reads

Old November 16th 05, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default OFF TOPIC - a couple of good reads

I just finished two good books, a real pleasure after a whole bunch of duds.

OK
Night Train to Rigel, Timothy Zahn - I love his non-Star Wars books.
Interesting world, fantastic characters. I was really sorry when it was
over.

Grave Sight, Charlaine Harris Slightly supernatural mystery. Excellent read.
I've tried a few other books of hers, with mixed results, and will watch for
the next book in this series.

I'm waiting for A Feast For Crows (George RR Martin) to arrive at the
library; I'm first on the list for it.

Cheryl

Old November 16th 05, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

For some reason, I'm stuck in the past right now. I just finished reading
Haunted Ground, Erin Hart - about the discovery of a body in a bog that is
tied to a contemporary murder. She has one other book - the name escapes me
right now - about a bog body. Both very interesting reads.

I've also rediscovered Barbara Wood's books. Right now, I'm reading The
Prophetess. Quite a while ago, I read The Green City In the Sun and The
Dreaming also by the same author. She's such a pleasure to read, I don't
know why I forgot about her.

Has anyone read Anne Rice's new non-vampire book about Christ's childhood?
I'm on the list at the library for it - I'm wondering if it's one of those
"drop everything else" books, or if it can be read at leisure.

Phyllis Maurer

Old November 16th 05, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

This it too weird! Bobbie V. just lent me those! The second on is Lake of
Sorrows.

I stopped reading Anne Rice a while ago. I got very turned off by her
someplace along the way.

Cheryl

Old November 16th 05, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I'm waiting for A Feast For Crows (George RR Martin) to arrive at the
library; I'm first on the list for it.

Cheryl

Oh good luck! I bought it, read about 10 pages and realized that I
needed to go back to the beginning, because I just don't remember where
he left us with the last one... thankfully Borders has them all in a
discounted $3.99 paperback version! I got the first one, with hopes
that will nudge enough memory for me, but I suspect I'm going to be
rereading the whole series before I can get to Crows.. sigh

Tegan

PS.. you do know there are two more 'Unappreciated' books out in
hardback, don't you?

Old November 16th 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
I'm waiting for A Feast For Crows (George RR Martin) to arrive at the
library; I'm first on the list for it.

DD had it on reserve and just picked it up. She's been after me to read
the first ones in the series.

I just finished "Chasing Shakespeares", which was fun. About a graduate
student trying to authenticate the true identity of Will...and learning
something about his own identity along the way.

I'm awaiting the new PD James, due out next week. Heads up, mystery lovers!

Sue

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com
Old November 16th 05, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Snow Flower and the Secret Fan". This is a novel about women's
friendship, but also has intriguing details about women's lives in China of
the past: the secret woman's language, footbinding, and needlework.
Dawne

Old November 16th 05, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Susan Hartman wrote:

I just finished "Chasing Shakespeares", which was fun. About a graduate
student trying to authenticate the true identity of Will...and learning
something about his own identity along the way.

Sue

Do you remember off-hand who the author is? In the last couple of years
I've learned I do like mysteries and I think I'd like this one. I blame
Darla (and thank her everytime I get a "new" one) for getting me hooked
on the China Bayles series. Now that I'm caught up, I wish there were
more!

Tegan

PS, Do read the Throne series. Yes, I'm ticked that GRRM has taken so
long to get Crows out, but it really won't hurt me any to reread the
first three books to get to it again.

Old November 16th 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tegan wrote:
Susan Hartman wrote:

I just finished "Chasing Shakespeares", which was fun.

Do you remember off-hand who the author is?

Sarah Smith

PS, Do read the Throne series.

Thanks for the endorsement! I'll have to put it on my (very, very high)
reading pile!

Old November 17th 05, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:00:28 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I just finished two good books, a real pleasure after a whole bunch of duds.

OK
Night Train to Rigel, Timothy Zahn - I love his non-Star Wars books.
Interesting world, fantastic characters. I was really sorry when it was
over.

Grave Sight, Charlaine Harris Slightly supernatural mystery. Excellent read.
I've tried a few other books of hers, with mixed results, and will watch for
the next book in this series.

I'm waiting for A Feast For Crows (George RR Martin) to arrive at the
library; I'm first on the list for it.

Cheryl

I seem to be drawn to late-19th, early-20th century mysteries right
now. I devoured all of Laurie R. King's Mary Russell books earlier
this year, and just finished the third of Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie
Dobbs books (also excellent reads).

Now I'm in the middle of Caleb Carr's "Angel of Darkness." I didn't
think I'd like his books because they seemed so dark, but I listened
to "The Alienist" on CD & enjoyed it very much. This one seems to be
just as well written.

Jacqueline in PA
currently trying to finish TW's Floral Bell Pull