Ott Lamps

Old November 28th 04, 06:36 PM
Valkyrie

I looked at Ott lights about 7 years ago at the Puyallup Sewing Expo in
Washington State. I was amazed at the price and walked on by knowing they
were way out of my league. The last day of the expo I went back and wheeled
and dealed with the guy at the booth. I got five bulbs for $75. The bulbs
had been "touch this display" laying on the table and had no boxes. I put
them in 3 of my swing arm, clamp on the desk/table type task lights and for
the other two I removed the cover of the ceiling fixture in my sewing room
and put them in that. These were the curly screw in 20 watt light bulbs, not
the tube type bulbs. They work great. I loved these lights and I saved a few
hundred more dollars using my own lamps. This could be an alternative you
might think about if cost is an issue. BTW, all these bulbs are still
working just fine.

Val

"Tamara" wrote in message
I was asked for my wish list by my parent's. I put an Ott Lamp on it. I
was researching them and see they come with 13 or 18 watt bulbs. Does
anyone have one and what can they tell me what they like or do not like
about them.

Thank you,
Tamara
remove nospam to reply

Old November 28th 04, 08:20 PM
merrystitch

I have one regular Ott light that I purchased about 8 years ago when I was
into rubber stamps and I also have a swing arm lamp that I put an OTT bulb
into. One is at my SM & the other at my cutting table. I've never
regretted for a single minute spending the $$ on them. Watch the sales at
Joann's or use a coupon.
Merrystitch

Old November 29th 04, 11:43 AM
Jeri

Kathryn Walker wrote:
Is the Ott light the same/similar as the full spectrum lights?

There are two types of Ott lights, full spectrum and true color. The full
spectrum type are usually the ones you find in the office supply stores. The
true color type are the ones you usually find in JoAnns and the LQS. Full
spectrum bulbs are usually less expensive than true color and aren't as good
for true color matching but do give just as much light as the true color
bulbs.

Any bulb can claim to be full spectrum as long as it's light contains
wavelengths across the entire visible spectrum. It doesn't need to be
balanced in any way. However, the 'true color' bulbs are balanced to
simulate sunlight.

So people who think they're getting a great deal by buying their Ott lamps
at office supply stores are most likely buying a different type of light
than the ones they would buy at their LQS or JoAnn's.
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old November 29th 04, 08:24 PM
Kathryn Walker

Jeri, thanks for the info.

Kathryn in Mi

Old November 29th 04, 11:53 PM
Donna in Idaho

I bought an Ott lamp (fold up table style) at Office Depot several years
ago. The bulb burned out a year or so later (much sooner that I thought it
should). Went back to Ofc Depot to buy a bulb "Oh, we don't carry bulbs!"
They sell the lamp - but not the bulbs!

Bought a bulb at a booth at the Houston Quilt Show. Brought it home 6 weeks
later (we were on an extended trip) - installed it in the lamp and it
flickered horribly. I threw the whole mess away! BTW, it was a 13 watt and
not a true color which I didn't know until after I bought the lamp at Ofc
Depot. So, buyer beware at office supply stores!

I have 2 Ott floor lamps that I've had for several years that I love. One
at my computer. Some way the other one ended up by my DH's recliner!
--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter

Old November 30th 04, 02:40 AM
Neeej

Went back to Ofc Depot to buy a bulb "Oh, we don't carry bulbs!"
They sell the lamp - but not the bulbs!

I bought a floor model (with 50% Joann's coupon), found it to have a faulty
bulb. Bought new bulb (can't remember where) & also contacted Ott---they sent
me a replacement with no hassle atall atall, so now I've got a spare.

-- Jean S
Old November 30th 04, 08:20 AM
Tamara

I want to thank everyone who responded. I wish I knew more about the
difference of true color and full spectrum. I think I'm getting a full
spectrum since one site said it was good for S.A.D. (winter depression).
Not that I suffer from it but it can get rainy and grey here. I think
this is the one I'm getting.
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...oor_lamp.shtml since my
Dad had ask if I wanted white or black and it was one of the sites I had
sent him.

Tamara

Old November 30th 04, 11:34 AM
Jeri

Tamara wrote:
I want to thank everyone who responded. I wish I knew more about the
difference of true color and full spectrum. I think I'm getting a
full spectrum since one site said it was good for S.A.D. (winter
depression). Not that I suffer from it but it can get rainy and grey
here. I think this is the one I'm getting.
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...oor_lamp.shtml since
my Dad had ask if I wanted white or black and it was one of the sites
I had sent him.

Nice lamp! It appears to be comparable to the true color Ott light (at a
much lower price). As I said in another post in this thread, Ott has two
different types of lights. The one they're comparing this lamp to is the
task light (full spectrum) that you can buy at office supply stores, not the
true color one but if they did it would be comparable. Maybe they wanted to
really stand out in the crowd. ) For the money this one seems to be a
much better value than a true color Ott light and brighter too.

Just remember that all true color lights are full spectrum but not all full
spectrum lights are true color. To compare true color qualities between
bulbs look for 5000K - 5500K bulbs that have a C.R.I. (color rendering
index) of ~92 or higher. Anything less may be full spectrum but it's not
true color.

Old November 30th 04, 08:17 PM
Tamara

Jeri,
Thank you for the information. I am going to save this thread so I can
refer to it when I want a portable light.

Tamara

Jeri wrote:

Tamara wrote:

I want to thank everyone who responded. I wish I knew more about the
difference of true color and full spectrum. I think I'm getting a
full spectrum since one site said it was good for S.A.D. (winter
depression). Not that I suffer from it but it can get rainy and gray