Syracuse NY Quilters?

Old November 20th 04, 03:57 AM
Rbeezer

Default Syracuse NY Quilters?

Looks like we'll be moving to Syracuse NY in a few months. Anybody here from
that area and can tell me what's available to quilters up there? Any great
quilt shops or quilt groups?

TIA.
Old November 20th 04, 12:07 PM
georg

Rbeezer wrote:

Looks like we'll be moving to Syracuse NY in a few months. Anybody here from
that area and can tell me what's available to quilters up there? Any great
quilt shops or quilt groups?

TIA.

You need to chat up Larissa, CNYStitcher.

I'm less than 2 hours to the south, near Binghamton. If you feel like a
drive, we have 2 LQS.

-georg
Old November 20th 04, 12:30 PM
CNYstitcher

Hey now! LOL There are actually a bunch of us scattered within oh,
about 2 hours all around Syracuse. Calico Gals is in Fayetteville, and
is a pretty nice shop. I still rely on JoAnns for most of my stuff, but
for those really special quilts, I head off to "real" quilting stores
(though JoAnns is starting to get some nice quilting fabric in). When
you get to the area, send me an email and we can try to get together and
I can drag you around to different places or at least give you
directions :-) That is, of course, if you don't mind the company of a
4yo and a 1yo because they will be with me wherever I go.

Larisa

lvann @ twcny . rr . com

Old November 20th 04, 12:37 PM
Susie

I'm two hours NORTH of Syracuse and we only have one
quilt shop and a Joann's. )
Susie in 28° DeKalb Jct., NY

Old November 20th 04, 12:58 PM
MB

Hope this link works... While visiting that area I found Chickadee Fabrics
in Liverpool....easy to get to...and
nice store....Hope it is still there!...Anyway...I just did a google search
and came up with these too.
Mary

http://local.yahoo.com/NY/Altmar/957...Fabric+Stores/

Old November 20th 04, 01:58 PM
georg

CNYstitcher wrote:

Hey now! LOL There are actually a bunch of us scattered within oh,
about 2 hours all around Syracuse. Calico Gals is in Fayetteville, and
is a pretty nice shop. I still rely on JoAnns for most of my stuff, but
for those really special quilts, I head off to "real" quilting stores
(though JoAnns is starting to get some nice quilting fabric in). When
you get to the area, send me an email and we can try to get together and
I can drag you around to different places or at least give you
directions :-) That is, of course, if you don't mind the company of a
4yo and a 1yo because they will be with me wherever I go.

Yes, there are a bunch of us in NY- in Rochester, Buffalo, and smaller
towns between and around. It's a bigger state than most people think.
But you were the only one I can think of in Syracuse proper.

Heck, my mum is over in Utica and they apparently have a nice LQS in New
Hartford I still haven't made it to. (that's half-an-hour east of Syr.)

-georg
Old November 20th 04, 02:04 PM
CLAUDIAGW

A must go to shop is Calico Gals. Its located in an old barn next to the canal
just outside of Syracuse. The staff is very friendly and a fun bunch of gals.
They have a great selection of fabric and often set up booths at many area
shows. Although I've never taken a class there, they do offer a nice variety.
I live 2 hrs away and whenever I'm in the area I always find time to stop.

www.calicogals.com

Old November 20th 04, 06:08 PM
Anne in CA

I appreciate all these responses to Rbeezer. I grew up in Syracuse and will
be going back for a visit in early Dec to see my Dad who just had heart
surgery. My sister (the one I just turned on to quilting evil laugh) will
be there too so now I can drag her to some shops that weren't around when I
was living there.

Rbeezer -- 'tis a lovely area to live in. Good luck to you.

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Old November 20th 04, 11:36 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

Anne,

It is such a strange world sometimes. I am sort of in the Syracuse area,
just outside of Rochester. But I was born in Pasadena and lived in
California for my first 58 years. I moved here from South Lake Tahoe just
over a year ago. It is sure green and rainy in New York after the
beach/desert/mountains of California!

Hope your dad is doing well, enjoy your visit!

Judie in Penfield NY