sandblasting resist

Old November 15th 03, 06:10 AM
Jackie L. Preston

Default sandblasting resist

Does anyone know of a resist that can be run through an injet or laser
printer. I have cut vinyl resist into sheets and run through my injet
printer and the design transfers fine but never dries so smudges easily when
trying to cut. I am concerned about the heat of a laser jet causing the
adhesive to melt and ruin the printer unless it is specifically designed to
withstand the heat. It would be so much easier to transfer the image in
this manner.

Jackie L Preston

Old November 15th 03, 04:02 PM
Javahut

"Jackie L. Preston" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a resist that can be run through an injet or laser
printer. I have cut vinyl resist into sheets and run through my injet
printer and the design transfers fine but never dries so smudges easily

when
trying to cut. I am concerned about the heat of a laser jet causing the
adhesive to melt and ruin the printer unless it is specifically designed

withstand the heat. It would be so much easier to transfer the image in
this manner.

Jackie L Preston

To answer your question specifically, no, I don't know of any vinyl or other
resist that will run thru either of them.

My question to you is, why would you want to?
You are not cutting the resist with the printer, so what does if matter what
the material is? You are transferring the design to a medium only, not
cutting it, so why couldn't you pint on a velum type (more transparent)
paper and adhere that to your resist for cutting?

Your question brought up more questions of my own.

There are specific large format printers out there for vinyl cutting, they
are used in the sign industry alot, if you are looking for something to cut
resist.

Old November 15th 03, 05:43 PM
Henry Halem

Go to http://www.photobrasivesystems.com/ they have exactly what your
looking for.

Jackie L. Preston

Old November 16th 03, 12:43 AM
Mike Firth

Not working on Sat. nite.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

"Henry Halem" wrote in message
Go to http://www.photobrasivesystems.com/ they have exactly what you're
looking for.

Jackie L. Preston

Old November 17th 03, 12:33 AM
Pat Owens

Jackie,

on one group that i am on, they suggested spraying it afterwards with
hairspray to set the ink.

Pat

Old December 8th 03, 12:47 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Ken Hunt wrote:

Just stumbled on this group while looking for info.
What would I need to transfer photos onto glass and sand blast them . I have
seen a kit for 3,500 pounds sterling but would like to break this down for a
cheaper price I am in the UK

You need some light-sensitive resist, an inkjet printer, a light for
transfering patterns to the resist, a garden hose for washing out
the exposed resist, and a sandblaster. I can't believe it would cost
even close to 3,500 pounds (which must be hundreds of dollars
American).

Here's a pointer to a resist, though I don't know anything about
the different brands. It should get you started, though.

http://www.photobrasivesystems.com/rapidinstr.html

You can't expect the typical picture to work very well, though.
What you need is a picture composed chiefly of black and white
regions. There are some filters in Photoshop that will do
this if you play around with them.

This will be cheapest if you find someone that already has the
light and sandblaster--then you only need the resist. I've
tried it at school where we have the facilities.

Good luck.

Mike Beede