Straightening memory wire?

Old February 16th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Default Straightening memory wire?

Anyone have any experience straightening memory wire?

I'm working on some projects where I'm making some tiny Abacus using
glass beads. My first models used floral wire, but I've found that
it's too bendable for my purposes.

I looked at memory wire, and it seems to be a very thin spring steel,
which is perfect for what I want. However, it looks like I can only
buy it in loops, but I need perfectly straight lengths
for my abacus.

So, has anyone tried to straighten memory wire?

Also, I saw some online references to a draw plate for straightening
(normal) wire. Any thoughts on me getting one of those to straighten
memory wire?

Old February 17th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

I took a chain mail class last year at my LBS, and the instructor had
some thin metal dowel-y things which (if my fuzzy memory serves), she
called 'piano wires'. She mentioned they were available at the local
train hobby supply store. They were pretty long and she had to cut them
to length for us to use. I haven't seen them at Michael's, so if you
have a hobby store near you give them a call.

Karen

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Karen M. Chan | | Whatever Happens... Smile!

Old February 18th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Barbara is right (as my experience goes), but you can stretch it
out a bit, and if you clamp it in tightly on both ends it's
probably as straight as originally non-straight wire comes.
(I have restrung a pretty heavy necklace on memory wire for
somebody and make-shift wire-wrapped the ends to put a clasp on
(the thing weighs almost 2 lb), it's doable, and the necklace is quite
a bit longer than the curvature of the memory wire was meant to be,
and with the weight it does hang OK).

If you have to go with memory wire, get the largest diameter
coild you can get (necklace size), but as Karen suggested,
piano wire (or guitar strings) might be an easier way to go.
- For guitar strings you'd have to go to a music store. Or, actually,
I think where I am Longs (drug store) carries them. -

Maren
(haven't been around much, and won't be for at least a few more
days.)

Barbara Forbes-Lyons wrote:
No, you cannot straighten memory wire - that's kind of the point of its
existence. You can probably buy steel wire in the lengths that you need
OR use thin mandrels originally purposed as lampwork bead mandrels. Look
around for welding suppliers. You want brazing rod.

Old February 22nd 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

I just had one other idea (while looking at my crafting stuff): floral
stem wire. Readily available at places like Michael's, and available in
(I think) different widths.

Karen

Old February 22nd 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Floral wire is too bendy. (I made my prototypes with floral wire).
I'm aiming for something that will spring back to shape if slightly
abused,
instead of staying bent.

Old February 22nd 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Floral wire is too soft -- as you noted.

The "piano wire" is what you want - it is hardended steel - like memory
wire, but it is straight.
Look in your yellow pages for HOBBY SHOPS that cater to the model
airplane crowd - you will find it there- it is relatively
inexpensvie... and comes in a variety of diameter (gauges).

Cheryl

Old February 23rd 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

I third the suggestion for welding filler rod; go to a welding shop and
ask for 1/16" 308L TIG rod. They sell it by the pound, so you'll end up
with a lot of it, but it's cheap, so that probably won't be a big deal.

quixote wrote:

Anyone have any experience straightening memory wire?

I'm working on some projects where I'm making some tiny Abacus using
glass beads. My first models used floral wire, but I've found that
it's too bendable for my purposes.

I looked at memory wire, and it seems to be a very thin spring steel,
which is perfect for what I want. However, it looks like I can only
buy it in loops, but I need perfectly straight lengths
for my abacus.

So, has anyone tried to straighten memory wire?

Also, I saw some online references to a draw plate for straightening
(normal) wire. Any thoughts on me getting one of those to straighten
memory wire?

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com

Memory wire Daisy Beads 1 December 5th 05 09:24 PM
AD: Wire Sculpture Jewelry videos on eBay & Accounting Magik Beads 2 June 21st 04 10:31 PM
memory wire patch Beads 24 May 29th 04 02:30 AM
Wire question Regina Beads 2 November 23rd 03 09:53 PM
I need beads! Rant and ? about wire mkahogan Beads 6 July 23rd 03 02:06 AM