Press 'n Seal -- not OT

Old December 31st 04, 04:11 AM
Sandy Foster

Default Press 'n Seal -- not OT

I've just begun free motion quilting on a top I've had waiting. I had no
idea how I was going to mark this one; the background is black and some
of the other colors are rather pale, so the marking is a bit tricky.
However, I remembered that some of you had recommended Press 'n Seal as
a sort of template for machine quilting, so I gave it a try. Wow! Yes,
it's sort of a pain to get the stuff off after quilting, but it's no
worse than taking off tracing paper. And the PnS sticks to the fabric,
eliminating the need for pins! I'm sold! Yippee!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

Old December 31st 04, 09:09 AM
Patti

Hullo Sandy
What did you use to draw on the PnS, please?
I am trying to garner all the information I can on this marvellous
stuff. So far I am still using it over freezer paper templates, because
I found that the thread gets 'grubby' from any ink or pencil I have
used?
It has saved my life, as far as quilting is concerned, though!!
..
In article ,
Sandy Foster writes
I've just begun free motion quilting on a top I've had waiting. I had no
idea how I was going to mark this one; the background is black and some
of the other colors are rather pale, so the marking is a bit tricky.
However, I remembered that some of you had recommended Press 'n Seal as
a sort of template for machine quilting, so I gave it a try. Wow! Yes,
it's sort of a pain to get the stuff off after quilting, but it's no
worse than taking off tracing paper. And the PnS sticks to the fabric,
eliminating the need for pins! I'm sold! Yippee!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 31st 04, 01:29 PM
Christina In Ok

Now this is new to me, how does this help with Free Motion Quilting, how
do you get the pattern on the press and seal?

Old December 31st 04, 02:11 PM
nbhilyard

Use a Sharpie marker.

Caveat: Sharpie can rub off. Best if you try to stitch next to, not
directly on top of, the marked lines.

I used PnS with a turquoise Sharpie to mark a border on white fabric. Some
of the turquoise transferred to the white. I took out what I had stitched,
then put the PnS on the *back* of the quilt and sewed from the back side.
(I always use busy fabric on the backs of quilts to camouflage deficiencies
in my quilting.) I dabbed a cotton swap in dilute bleach and applied that
to the turquoise marks -- also applied Zout (laundry pretreatment) liberally
to the white border when I washed the quilt. Turned out just fine.

Nann

ink.net...

Old December 31st 04, 04:13 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Hullo Sandy
What did you use to draw on the PnS, please?
I am trying to garner all the information I can on this marvellous
stuff. So far I am still using it over freezer paper templates, because
I found that the thread gets 'grubby' from any ink or pencil I have
used?
It has saved my life, as far as quilting is concerned, though!!

Pat, I used a Sharpie pen, which is supposed to be permanent. However,
I'm not all that sure it is -- I'm just lucky because the pen is black
and so is the background of what I'm quilting. g

.
In article ,
Sandy Foster writes

Old December 31st 04, 04:14 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

It works pretty well on Christmas feast leftovers too. Polly

You forgot to mark this one as OT, Polly. Though perhaps Christmas
leftovers aren't OT, since they save us valuable quilting time! LOL!
Actually, I bought my PnS at Costco, where it comes in a two-pack. One
is in the kitchen, and one is now permanently in my sewing room.

Old December 31st 04, 04:16 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"nbhilyard" wrote:

Use a Sharpie marker.

Caveat: Sharpie can rub off. Best if you try to stitch next to, not
directly on top of, the marked lines.

I used PnS with a turquoise Sharpie to mark a border on white fabric. Some
of the turquoise transferred to the white. I took out what I had stitched,
then put the PnS on the *back* of the quilt and sewed from the back side.
(I always use busy fabric on the backs of quilts to camouflage deficiencies
in my quilting.) I dabbed a cotton swap in dilute bleach and applied that
to the turquoise marks -- also applied Zout (laundry pretreatment) liberally
to the white border when I washed the quilt. Turned out just fine.

Nann

I'm wondering if a Pigma pen would also work well? I haven't tried that
yet. Or even one of the washout pens, if the color would show up -- that
way you'd know it would wash out if there were any transference!

Old December 31st 04, 05:52 PM
Roberta Zollner

I've used pigma pen with no color transfer. Give it a minute to dry before
stitching. If you want to use P&S over dark fabrics, a fine silver metallic
permanent pen works great, shows up well.
Roberta in D

Old December 31st 04, 05:59 PM
Roberta Zollner

Just tear off a piece big enough for your quilting design and trace it on
the un-sticky side with a pigma pen. The Press & Seal clings to the book
page while you trace, pulls away clean, and then sticks to the fabric.
Stitch through the design to quilt, then tear it away. Very good for
block-size motifs, but of course you wouldn't need it for doing long
straight lines.
Roberta in D