Bobbles, pompoms, tassels

Old August 17th 04, 06:20 PM
Jeanine3

Default Bobbles, pompoms, tassels

I just finished a drawn thread table mat and tried some Casalguidi
bobbles on the corners. Do they ever look neat and unusual. The
technique is to basically make many lengths of knotted thread and group
them together to hang quite unevenly. I found that by washing the piece
in the end, the bobbles, frayed and hung more relaxed and look great. I
know there are many books dedicated to tassels, etc. but wondered if
you'd like to share your favourite bobble/tassel/pompom technique or
method. Sorry not to have any pictures... I searched the internet in the
hopes of finding an example to show of the one I did but was
unsuccessful. If you have the Anchor Manual Of Needlework, my bobbles
are on page 481, figures 5 and 6.
Looking forward to your responses.
Jeanine in Canada
(who is once again procrastinating doing her Goldwork lesson!!!)

Old August 17th 04, 08:40 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

The most fun I had was learning Casalguidi from Mitrofanus (I think,
don't hold me to the name - I'm not running downstairs). In it, she
illustrated at great length how to make those WONDERFUL baubles,
including needlelace over a form and then adding bullions. Or, closed
blanket over a tiny circle (like Hedebo) hanging down on a thread, and
also the knotted thread technique you talked about. It added so much to
the ornament and goes beyond the simple tassel we all know and love for
its ability to add pizzaz to our objects.

I have also used those wooden "craft" molds - the kinds ordinarily used
for making country style objects in wood - covering them (or painting
them), then crocheting or needlelace the object as a finish. The tassel
then slips up inside. These molds are actually finials for wooden
dowels. I have a couple hanging from lamp switches.

Dianne

Old August 17th 04, 08:43 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Just took a look and I still have it on line:
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/temp/casalguidi.jpg

I made this ornament for my annual ornament exchange at "Plain & Fancy".

This pic will show what we're talking about. :-)
Dianne

Old August 17th 04, 11:18 PM
Jeanine3

I wonder if Vima de Marchi Micheli's book "Tassels Italian Style" is
worth a look-see to find more of these interesting things. Does anyone
have it? Better yet, I see she has an exhibit at the University of
California...
http://design.ucdavis.edu/museum/current/default.html
wish I could go...
Dianne, you are more adventurous than me... this does, however give me
an idea to replace the ceiling fan pull-switch in my bedroom. hmmmm...
Jeanine in Canada

Old August 18th 04, 01:03 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Oh dear! What an event! One of these days I'm going to win the
lottery! :-) Of course, it might help if I bought a ticket. :-)
Dianne

Old August 19th 04, 01:38 AM
kirby19711

I have that book and absolutely recommend it. I don't have my copy
with me & probably don't remember exactly but I think the
illustrations are similar to the cover. The instructions are very
good. I have most of her books including Pani & fili, Breads and
Threads of Italy which was published when she had an exhibit in San
Francisco in 1996. I saw that one and wish I could see this one too.

Anne

Old August 19th 04, 07:43 AM
Jeanine3

Thanks Anne, I'll keep my eye out for a copy... I think it is still to
be found even though it's out of print.
Jeanine in Canada

Old August 19th 04, 09:41 PM
Joan Erickson

kirby19711 wrote:

I have most of her books including ... , Breads and
Threads of Italy ...

LOL! Although I assumed the title was *Beads*, the picture that came
to my head was loaves sewn together!!! I need a vacation!
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Ort tassels Hexe Needlework 0 December 22nd 03 07:40 AM
bookmark tassels - 8/2 3-1/2" Loop w/ 2" Rayon Tassel zuuum Marketplace 0 October 13th 03 12:31 AM
Make Tassels? SlickSethB Marketplace 0 July 11th 03 09:33 PM