Carving Texture & Fur

Old November 22nd 03, 11:17 PM
Jim

Default Carving Texture & Fur

Hi-

I'm trying to ifnd out how to make decent fur on a carving.
All the books I've read, just mumble something about adding texture
and get past the subject in under 25 words.

Some books have a lot to say about burning feathers into a
woodcarving.

I am not real interested in wood burning. I haven't painted the things
I've carved. Thata means I would like to be able to texture a carving
using chisels or equivalent.

Can someone offer some suggestions or possibly a good book
that describes how to create texture, fur, hair, etc without using a
woodburner?

Thanks in advance - Jim 11.22.2003
Old November 23rd 03, 08:39 PM
turtle

Jim
If your using wood and dont onject to using a motorized tool with your
project. I use a squared off diamond bit in a dremel too for feather lines.
Or you can use the tool to make the whole feather if your making a bigger
bird. I like to make some feather bumps on the subject then go over it using
the diamond stone. Hope this helps.
Will
--
http://www.geocities.com/hush88ca/Mi..._Carvings.html

Old November 23rd 03, 08:40 PM
turtle

One more thing. If you use the diamond stone start from the tail and worl
your way forward. It hides the start of each mark. Good luck
Will

Old November 23rd 03, 10:02 PM
JT

You might want to look at some books on pyrography. Although woodburning is
an adjunct used by many carvers, you might find more information in books
specific to burning. I made a full round bear carving a couple years ago
and burned the fur. It turned out quite good. Think of using the tool as
if it were a v-gouge. Short tight strokes where the fur is short, like the
muzzle, and longer looser strokes where the fur is shaggy. With a bit of
practice I think you'd pick it up quickly.
You can get a pencil burner from a craft store inexpensively but it won't
give you the range of control that comes with the more expensive models. If
you belong to a carve club, you might find someone who will let you try out
their unit and probably be glad to give you some pointers.
Good luck,
JT

Old November 26th 03, 03:59 PM
WeeWilly

Kind of depends on the size of the critter you are putting fur on.

I have been using small "U" gouges very successfully. Fur on a long haired
animal (ie Bear) is different from that of a mountain lion.. Longer haired
animals layer similar to the longer beard on a man.. or hair on our heads..
Hair overlaps hair.. and it doesn't all go in the same direction. You might
want to picture how hair/fur works.. by looking at a cat or a dog.. Notice
how it comes off the nose.. and kinda follows gravity.. moving back and down
from the center.. however, the center doesn't have a part.. it goes in
different directions..but generally the same at the center.. and then begins
following gravity as it progresses down the side of the animal.

So.. a rule of thumb.. use small "U" gouges.. 1, 2, 3 mm #11's.
I've been told by a number of professional animal carvers (Debbie Edwards
and Kurt Curtis are two of them) to not use "V" gouges.. looks unnatural.

Might take a look at the bears in my picturetrail site.. they were done with
"U" gouges and highlighted with pyrography.. woodburner.

--
Bill Splaine, Healdsburg, CA
Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

---

Carving bases, alabaster and otherwise Joe Ahearn Carving 7 November 13th 03 01:52 PM
Basswood carving bubba Carving 1 October 6th 03 04:35 PM
Need good source for carving gloves Bill Houdek Carving 3 September 4th 03 04:21 PM
carving Joe Kennedy Carving 2 August 5th 03 06:33 PM