Double Wedding Ring Advice Needed

Old August 19th 03, 05:04 PM
Lynne in Toronto

Default Double Wedding Ring Advice Needed

Last year when Denise sent me those lovely old blocks I inherited
enough completed "arcs" to make 9 DWR blocks, about 18.5 inches each,
which when put together would give me about a 54" square.

What suggestions would y'all have for making that into a larger quilt,
i.e. Queen size, as I want to give it to my son and his new wife. (They
know it won't be done for awhile.)

Also, the blocks are old (40's and 50's fabrics) and I wonder if you
would suggest appliquéing the arcs onto the backing or trying to piece
the "footballs" in. I'm a little concerned about figuring out how to
get the football the right size???

Thanks for your expert advice, as always.

Cheers,

lynne in Toronto
Old August 19th 03, 06:01 PM
Roberta Zollner

Appliqué might be the easiest solution. As for setting, why not make your
piece the central medallion of a square-in-a-square (on point with 4 corner
triangles) so you have lots of space for lovely quilting? That would give
you a piece about 78-80", so a couple of borders ought to bring it to a good
size.
Roberta in D

Old August 19th 03, 06:13 PM
julia sidebottom

Hi Lynne,
I have made a number of DWR's (5 all together now) and will soon
start another one. I have a few WIP's right now that I want to do first
but I am always cutting smaller scraps to make the arches with. I love
scrappy DWR's so just about every thing works for me.
I have never appliquéd the pieces onto the backing. I know that some
people find this the easy way to do it. I do mine by hand from start to
finish. And straight pins are a necessity for going around those not so
tight curves.
You will need to measure carefully the football pieces against what
you already have as far as the arches go. Be sure that with your
measurements to follow the curves and allow for your seam allowances.
The quilts I have made have all been king sized as they were for
gifts. The next one will be for me with any luck. Depending much on
the availability of the fabrics already in the blocks will determine
just how large you will be able to make the quilt. Best of luck and
keep us posted on your progress.
juliasb

--

Remove (nospam) from address.

now...
come and journey with me from darkness....
.... into New Life http://www.nwlife.com

Old August 19th 03, 07:27 PM
taria

Well, I think you need to send them to me so I can look
at them and really be able to advise you! VBG
I would work from the arcs to draft the 'footballs'.
If that doesn't work you could appliqué them to a background
fabric. I would just center them in the middle of the quilt
and then just build out with some other piecing or appliqué.
Like you would do a medallion or round robin.
HTH, Taria

Lynne in Toronto wrote:

Last year when Denise sent me those lovely old blocks I inherited
enough completed "arcs" to make 9 DWR blocks, about 18.5 inches each,
which when put together would give me about a 54" square.

What suggestions would y'all have for making that into a larger quilt,
i.e. Queen size, as I want to give it to my son and his new wife. (They
know it won't be done for awhile.)

Also, the blocks are old (40's and 50's fabrics) and I wonder if you
would suggest appliquéing the arcs onto the backing or trying to piece
the "footballs" in. I'm a little concerned about figuring out how to
get the football the right size???

Thanks for your expert advice, as always.

Cheers,

lynne in Toronto

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old August 20th 03, 12:55 AM
Walt & Cheri Carroll

I agree with Roberta on appliquéing the pieces unto fabric. Unless you have
the original pattern pieces, I think it would be a lot of work to figure out
the right size to cut the football pieces. I also love her suggestion of
setting it on point, otherwise 2 good sized borders 7-8" each should bring
it up to a nice size of around 80" overall.

Oh, here is an idea...cut 1" bias strips of a complimentary fabric, fold it
in half and sew it to your arcs like you would for french binding. They you
would have a nice finished edge for appliquéing the arcs.

Cheri
On Vancouver Island, Canada

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old August 20th 03, 04:54 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

I like Cheri's suggestion about the bias binding on the appliquéd center
medallion. If you can find similar fabrics you might also applique
something (vine & flowers?) on the outer border to marry the whole thing.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
. ca...

Old August 20th 03, 12:49 PM
Pat in Virginia

Lynne:
If you set on point, it will be about 78" across, wider than a
Queen bed of 60" X 80". You can use fewer blocks to contain the
old rings on the top of the bed, not hanging off the sides.

If you just use eight rings, you can set them 36" X 72" straight
up and down, and then add borders. To use seven blocks: make two
sets of four rings and set these diagonally down the length of
quilt top with one block 'overlapping' ... so it looks like a
figure-8 sorta. This would be about 50" across and about 75"
long. Add triangles to fill, then borders. IMO the applique would
be good method for the old pieces.

I have book and templates by Betty Boyinck. In one version she
shows smaller rings of one color, then a spacer, then a row of
larger rings in another color. I am not especially thrilled with
the fabric choices in this book, but the layouts are unusual and
clever. You could use the same idea, perhaps having a different
ground fabric for the outer blocks, whatever size. That would
distinguish the old from the new.

Congratulations on the new DIL! Does she quilt? PAT

Old August 20th 03, 06:47 PM

Lynne- I second (or third) the idea of appliqueing (sp?) down the arcs.
Since you are using older fabrics, applique will let another fabric take
the stress of use. etc.

Good luck!

Julie
Richmond, VA

Old August 20th 03, 08:09 PM
Lynne in Toronto

There were several good ideas here. Thanks so much.

I can't start it for a week or two, due to other commitments to get out
of the way, but I am looking forward to working on it. Once I get the
design sorted out I can appliqué on the subway and bus...which is really
wonderful, especially in the busy time of year. (i.e. September through
October.) It's so peaceful to have some hand sewing to do for that hour
each way to and from work...especially when the buses are jammed with
very loud students.

One more questions. The corner diamonds are all a medium solid mauve,
and I am thinking of taking half of them out and replacing them with
another solid...what colour would you pick...yellow, green or pink?
Something else??(Remember these are 40's fabrics.)

Thanks, all.

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

Old August 20th 03, 08:45 PM
Lisa Ellis

I'd use yellow; mauve and yellow are one of the classic color
combinations of that era.

lisae