EQ5 Users

Old October 2nd 05, 10:57 PM
Debbi

Default EQ5 Users

I need help (in more ways than one). I am working on a quilt for my
mother's 80th birthday. I am now trying to work on the borders. I have
figured out what I want using EQ5, and used their POINTS OUT Border. I
have not a clue on this earth how to cut the fabric for this border.
When I try to get the directions on EQ5 for the directions on making
their border, it is always blanked out under PRINT. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Debbi in SO CA
Old October 2nd 05, 11:49 PM
Cheryl

Debbi

We have a couple of real experts in the Virtual Quilting Group - want to ask
there? Please email me off-ng as I can't reach you without an unscrambled
email address.

--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old October 2nd 05, 11:53 PM
Anne in CA

1. Be sure that your border blocks/points are colored, even if not the
actual colors you are using.
2. In quilt worktable, using the "select" tool (arrow) click on one of
the points and then print. You should then be able to select templates.
Be sure the little box marked "size from quilt" is checked.

Have you thought about joining Jeanne and Cheryl's yahoo group for
virtual EQ5 swaps? Members are bout 1/2 and 1/2 between newbies and
veterans. Lots of good ideas and tips how to do things. I don't remember
how to join but you could either shout out to them here, or email me
privately and I'll figure out how you go about joining.

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3

Old October 3rd 05, 12:01 AM
nzlstar*

i'm stuck on our current challenge...using wreathmaker.
cant quite figure it out in the short bursts of time i've spent trying.
eeeeeeeek. oh dear, guess i'd better stay up later at night, eh.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Anne in CA" wrote...

Old October 3rd 05, 12:02 AM
Cheryl

Try the EQ5 Forum page.

http://www.electricquilt.com/ubb/For...ML/000473.html

I prefer the second method myself.
Just in case - copy follows. Hope it helps

By Penny McMorris - using templates

Printing from Points in or Points out should be the same. The square blocks
are selected, just as a block in your quilt. Choose "Print from quilt" for
the printing size.

And here's something I've written before and saved about printing the
"setting" triangles:

This is the technique you use for the setting triangles for On-point quilts,
and templates for border styles that have Diamonds, Points, or On-Point in
their names. Borders plus names are pictured in the Design Cookbook on pages
68-69.

1. Go to Libraries - Block Library - EQ Libraries - 1 Classic Pieced -
Simple Blocks. 2. Find and copy the Half-Square Triangle block. 3. Find and
copy the 4-X block. 4. Click Close.

5. If you are doing JUST FABRIC:
Set the Half-Square triangle in the setting triangles or non-square border
blocks. Rotate the block until the seam of the Half-Square lines up with the
seam of the setting triangles or border blocks. Recolor. For corners, set
the 4-X block, and recolor.

If you are doing BLOCKS WITH PATCHES ETC.:
Click View Sketchbook. Click the Blocks tab. Find the border block in the
Sketchbook, click to select it, and click Edit.

If it is an EasyDraw block (i.e. you see EasyDraw and Color tabs at the
bottom of the screen.) click the Line tool. Draw one diagonal line through
the block from corner to corner. Click to the Color tab, then the EasyDraw
tab once to register your nodes. Delete the lines to one side of the
diagonal. Click to the color tab and recolor. Click Save in Sketchbook. Set
this new block in the border instead. (If you're doing something that needs
corners like the 4-X block, you may need to do a second version of the block
with 2 diagonals and only keeping one fourth of the block.)

If it is a PatchDraw block, most of us just skip adjusting the clipped
block. But, if you really really wanted to, it would probably involve
turning the block into an overlaid block, drawing a diagonal line on the
pieced tab, then on the appliqué tab deleting or reshaping patches that
cross the diagonal guide to get rid of excess fabric.

By Barb Vlack - using foundation piecing

There is another way to create a pattern for a Points Out/In or Big and
Little Points Out/In. My FAVORITE way to piece these kinds of borders is
with a foundation because you're working with bias edges with the triangles.
Only on a foundation will the piecing be stabilized to prevent or reduce any
stretching during sewing. Penny's advice is great for piecing with
templates.
Here is a lesson I wrote for the Info-EQ mail list on May 11, 2005, to
provide how to do draw a foundation:

It's true that you cannot just click on the (Points In/Out, Big and Little
Points In/Out)border and print it out as a block. Putting half-square
triangle blocks into the points will give you templates for the triangles
but will still not give you the foundation pattern.

There is a workaround ---- draw the entire border as a block in EasyDraw.
Here's how:
1. Set up the Big and Little Points Out border on the quilt worktable as
desired. If you are working on a square quilt, you will need to draw only
one border block here. A rectangular quilt with a different number of points
horizontally and vertically will require two border blocks.
2. Next, note the number of points that meet the upper edge of the border.
Do not count the half points at either end of the border. For example, if I
set the Big and Little Points Out border on the Borders tab to 3 blocks in
the border Horizontal, I will have 5 points that meet the upper edge of the
border, counting the three full big points and two full little points.
3. Change the worktable to Work on Block. Then click BLOCK/New
Block/EasyDraw.
4. Click BLOCK/Drawing Board Setup. Make these settings:
a. Snap to Grid Points/Horizontal Divisions = 2 x (number of points + 1).
For the example, we have 5 triangle points + 1 = 6. Multiply that by 2 to
get 12 horizontal grid points.
b. Snap to Grid Points/Vertical Divisions = 4
c. Block Size/Horizontal = 6
d. Block Size/Vertical = 6
e. Graph Paper tab --- Horizontal Divisions = the number of points you noted
in "Step 2" + 1. For the example, we have 5 triangle points + 1 = 6
horizontal divisions needed here. Vertical Divisions = 2. Choose Graph Paper
Lines as the style.
5. Click OK to close the dialog box.
6. Snap to Grid is On (by default or choice). Draw the big points from top
to bottom of block. Lines will snap to the grid.
7. Fill in the little points, which set between the big points and intersect
the big points at the halfway mark. This is an easy draw (pun intentional)
because you have the snap to grid points set to accommodate this position.
8. Don't forget to draw the end half little points on both sides of the
block.
9. Save to Sketchbook.
10. View/Open the Sketchbook and find the block on the Blocks tab. Label the
block on the Notecard so you have ID information for a future search. I
called my block "Foundation Big and Little Points Out 3 Blocks." Well, not
really, because that's a long title that I shortened to BLPO 3 and I filed
it in my Foundation Piecing User Library under Borders.
11. On the quilt worktable, Borders tab, change the BLPO border style to
Blocks and change the block number to 1 Horizontal and Vertical.
12. Click the Layer 1 tab. Click the Set tool. Set the example BLPO 3 block
into all the borders (for a square quilt).
13. From the quilt worktable, click the Select tool, click the block, and
click the icon for printing options.
14. Click Foundation Pattern and on the Options tab, click "Size from
quilt."
15. Print.

If you like to make the BLPO border, it would be very helpful to keep a User
Library collection of the blocks with various numbers of points. One draw
and you will have a foundation block to use for any border size.

Old October 5th 05, 04:46 AM
KittyG

Thanks Anne, I had been trying to work that out as well. Sounds easy enough

--
kitty in phx

http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee