KILN HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old June 20th 05, 10:47 PM
Stephanie Coleman

Default KILN HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone:

I did a bisque firing last night in my Olympic Kiln with Bartlett controls. It fired fine and turned off and has been cooling all day. I went to see how hot it still was and found the failed light on. This wasn't on when I checked earlier in the day. I did the trouble shooting and it appears all my thermo couples have failed, but the circuit board is fine....so...I've looked through my instructions for the kiln and the controller and can't anything to tell me where these babies are, how to replace them, and what and where to buy them. I am a little anxious becuz I am in the midst of teaching a class to at risk kids and need to appear with all of these bisque fired on Friday. I know I still have time, but might be trekking to Atlanta to get parts if these aren't easy to come by....what do any of you know?

Thanks!!!!!

--
Stephanie Coleman
University of Phoenix Online

alt email:
706.467.9579
Old June 21st 05, 12:17 AM
Coggo

Stephanie,

The thermocouple is the part that sticks into the kiln and measures the
temperature - you should be able to see it sticking through the wall. You
might be able to replace it yourself - it's not too hard - but you will need
to get a correct replacement from the kiln manufacturer or a reputable
supplier.

Dave

Old June 21st 05, 02:31 AM
Xtra News

Yep thats right. Often called the probe. It is usually covered with a
ceramic sheeth. The thermocouple is the wires inside this sheeth.
Personally I would not attempt to monkey around with it myself, but hey many
of you probably manage electrical stuff better than me. I do know they are
very delecate.
Annemarie

Old June 21st 05, 01:16 PM
Bob Masta

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:47:21 -0400, "Stephanie Coleman"
wrote:

Hi everyone:

I did a bisque firing last night in my Olympic Kiln with Bartlett =
controls. It fired fine and turned off and has been cooling all day. I =
went to see how hot it still was and found the failed light on. This =
wasn't on when I checked earlier in the day. I did the trouble shooting =
and it appears all my thermo couples have failed, but the circuit board =
is fine..

Whoa! You say *all* the thermocouples have failed? How many are
there? I'd find it highly unlikely that 2 or more could fail at the
same time... sorta like 2 light bulbs failing at once, only
thermocouples are a lot more rugged than lightbulbs. (Unless
you crash pots into the ceramic sheath!) Of course, if there is a
chance that they have failed one by one unnoticed on prior firings,
and now the last one has gone, then maybe that would explain it.

However, you say that the circuit board is fine. I assume you mean
it's not visually damaged, but if more than one thermocouple has
apparently failed at once, this is where I'd suspect the real trouble
to be.

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator
Old June 21st 05, 03:23 PM

sounds like a failure at the circuit board side. but i don't have that
brand kiln so don't know.

call in the main experts!

see ya

steve

Old June 23rd 05, 02:36 AM
Stephanie Coleman

I drove to Olympic's mfr site (real live, not web site) yesterday...I could
UPS'd it but I needed to get everything fired and outa the kiln by tomorrow
am. Anyway it was easy to replace - only about 15 minutes or so. Fixing
easy stuff like this makes it less intimidating to have this beast!

Old June 23rd 05, 02:37 AM
Stephanie Coleman

I hate to admit this...the troubleshooting guide said they all failed...but
I found I only had one!

Old June 23rd 05, 11:04 PM
Xtra News

Yeah I wondered about that, while not familiar with your kiln, all the kilns
that I do know only have one )
I figured if it was a Very big kiln it might have more

=