Paper can kill!

Old January 10th 05, 06:11 PM
AliceW

Default Paper can kill!

Well, I was just minding my own business yesterday morning and thought I
would clean up my sewing/computer room (first mistake). I was moving a
stack of computer paper and a whole ream of paper fell, point first I might
add, onto the bridge of my foot. I was wearing the very comfy new slippers
my DH gave me for Christmas, but fleece has no protective value! It hurt
like hell! But I looked at it and I didn't break the skin. I rubbed it and
said the appropriate swear words under my breath and moved on.

Later that day, my DD and DGS went to the mall to pick up my new eyeglasses
and his silver cup which was getting engraved. Of course the store we
walked through was having a fabulous sale on shoes and handbags. Bought two
pair and two bags. Trying on the shoes felt odd, but nothing to write home
about. We finished our errands and walked to the car. Now I was noticing a
bit of pain. I thought the shoe on my right foot was just a bit tight and
let it go at that.

We went to one other shop where my DD needed to pick something up and then
we went to a Thai restaurant to pick up dinner. My DD loves Thai food and
my DH loves anything spicy, so I told her if there was something I could
eat, I would buy dinner. I have had Thai food once before and enjoyed it.
I walked from the car to the restaurant to pay for dinner and didn't think
I would make it back to the car. Now real pain was setting in. I drove the
20 minutes home without a shoe on my right foot.

When we got home, my DH helped me into the house and I told him about the
pain but thought I could just take something and be ok. We ate dinner and
then went to the hospital. The pain was now unbearable! The kind that
makes you cry and/or throw up. I just paid $55 for dinner so I had no
intention of the doing the latter! Two hours and 10 minutes later we were
on our way from the ER to the drugstore for pain meds. The foot was x-rayed
and nothing was broken. The doctor, in his two 3 minute visits, indicated
that it was a severe bruise and I needed ice packs and elevation.

I do feel better today. The pain meds helped greatly but now I have a sour
stomach which I think will go away after some bland food. So I am home
today helping my DD with the bebe while she gets some stuff done. I just
plop myself in a chair and hug and squeeze a way! I guess it's not so bad
after all!

But, be careful of those reams of paper - they are treacherous!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old January 10th 05, 06:31 PM
Butterfly

Keep an eye out for that foot---sometimes a break doesn't show up
immediately. Ask me how I know.
Butterfly (my foot hurts in sympathy of yours)

Old January 10th 05, 06:32 PM
frood

I'm so sorry, Alice! But they are made of trees, you know. ;-D

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old January 10th 05, 06:49 PM
AliceW

The doctor said if it didn't improve in 2 weeks, to have another x-ray. It
does feel better today, but I will certainly heed your advice.

--

"Butterfly" wrote in message
: Keep an eye out for that foot---sometimes a break doesn't show up
: immediately. Ask me how I know.
: Butterfly (my foot hurts in sympathy of yours)
: ...
:
[...]
: --

Old January 10th 05, 06:50 PM
AliceW

Well, now why didn't I think of that! It sure felt like a tree! I have to
weigh that pack of paper to see what it weighs.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/RCTQ/index.htm (add a recipe)
"Time is that quality of nature which keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately it doesn't seem to be working."
Anonymous

om...
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
: de-fang email address to reply
:
:
:
:
: ...

Old January 10th 05, 07:34 PM
Barbara Raper

Just sit around for a few days and give your poor foot time to heal.
Barbara in FL & SC

Old January 10th 05, 08:14 PM
georg

AliceW wrote:

Well, now why didn't I think of that! It sure felt like a tree! I have to
weigh that pack of paper to see what it weighs.

I think a full ream is about 55 lb. Landing on a point in one spot is a
LOT of weight in one spot. You are very lucky not to break it. Elevate
it! So rest it on a stool next to your sewing machine.

-georg
Old January 10th 05, 08:38 PM
Diana Curtis

I am so sorry to hear you are in pain. There is something you must do, as
soon as humanly possible. Its sad, but the paper must be put down. Once it
turns rogue and attacks people its to late. It will continue to drop on
people. I know you think of it as a friend, but it can never be truly
trusted again.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 10th 05, 08:42 PM

Hugs, Alice. Couldn't you think of a less painful way to stay home and
hug your new DGS all day? Nancycog in MD

Old January 10th 05, 08:46 PM
AliceW

I agree. It has been put in a holding cell as we speak!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

"AliceW" wrote in message
[...]

Adhesives - paper to paper Harriet General Crafting 3 October 22nd 04 10:55 AM
sticking paper to plastic Nick Charnley General Crafting 2 June 5th 04 05:41 PM
source for pre-cut bible paper Eric General Crafting 0 May 28th 04 04:40 PM
paper juliasb(nospam) Rubberstamps 0 November 9th 03 04:47 PM
CHINESE PAPER CUT ITEMS HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:48 AM