newbie here

Old December 28th 03, 03:43 PM
Carol

Default newbie here

Hi all.....thought I would say hello. I live in Edmonton AB and have been
quilting for a few years now. Have so much to learn about this quilt making.
But I have done several quilts already. My problem is I have yet to follow a
quilt pattern exactly...lol...as I go along my mind gets carried away and I
see things I would change. Have done a few Photo quilts. I designed them
myself. I however work 12 hours a day so I dont have near the time I would
like to have to do my favorite hobby. I hope to learn alot from everyone
here!.

Old December 28th 03, 03:59 PM
Susan Laity Price

Welcome. You will find that few quilters follow patterns exactly. That
is the joy of being creative. I suggest that you look into a computer
design program such as Electric Quilt 5. This allows you to customize
your quilts on paper before you begin. It saves a lot of time.

Just have fun. I tell my beginning students to make at least three 45"
by 60" quilts and give them to charity just to get you going. Those
that receive the quilts won't see the mistakes that you see. So many
beginners want their first quilts to be master pieces for that special
person in their lives. Right now just make things. You will learn from
each one. At about the fourth quilt the pieces begin to fall into
place. The more you make the more you understand the puzzle aspect of
piecing.

The best thing about quilting are the quilters. I have a sign in my
studio that reads, "I never met a quilter I didn't like". How true. It
takes a certain personality to make quilts. That personality includes
a loving, caring gene that transcends all parts of a person's life.

Welcome, Susan Price

Old December 28th 03, 05:02 PM
hfw

Welcome! This is a great group of warm and caring--and many
knowledgeable--people. You'll love it here.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old December 28th 03, 05:05 PM
Ann

Hi Carol, and welcome.
I am from Alberta also. You will get lots of help and inspiration here.
You have come to a great place.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky
newly posted table runner pics

Old December 28th 03, 08:12 PM
Audrey Eischens

You are always welcome with this wonderful group of quilters. Their
extensive knowledge about quilting knows no boundaries and the humor has
given me many a good chuckle. The only down side is we can't personally
meet all these great members!!!

--
Audrey Eischens
Angels are among us

Old December 28th 03, 10:41 PM
Lynn Tocker

Hi Carol

The people on here are tremendous fun, full of quilting wisdom and common
sense. You'll enjoy the laughs and the also the relief when you ask a daft
question, and someone takes the time to gently point you in the right
direction.
Lynn in Middle Earth, New Zealand

Old December 28th 03, 11:15 PM
Patti

Hullo Carol and welcome
There are quite a few ladies already here from Alberta; and it's good to
see you joining them.
Working 12 hours a day certainly doesn't leave much time for quilting.
I rarely follow a pattern; enjoy designing too much!
Come back soon and tell us a little about yourself, family, pets, and
such like.
..
In article ESCHb.859740$9l5.365303@pd7tw2no, Carol
writes
Hi all.....thought I would say hello. I live in Edmonton AB and have been
quilting for a few years now. Have so much to learn about this quilt making.
But I have done several quilts already. My problem is I have yet to follow a
quilt pattern exactly...lol...as I go along my mind gets carried away and I
see things I would change. Have done a few Photo quilts. I designed them
myself. I however work 12 hours a day so I dont have near the time I would
like to have to do my favorite hobby. I hope to learn alot from everyone
here!.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 29th 03, 12:39 AM
Carol

Thought I would add a bit more info about me........I am a 39 year old
single mom of 2 girls...oldest daughter just turned 20 on Christmas and the
youngest one is 14. I am originally from Iowa but moved to Canada about 4
years ago. So all my family is back in the states. Oldest daughter lives in
Iowa as well so dont get to see her as often as I would like to. I dont have
any pets as I live in a small apartment and dont have time to take care of
one anyway. I work my 12 hours a day then come home and sew till I go to
bed........I never go out so work and quilting are pretty much my
life...lol.......but right now thats enough to keep me busy.
.

Old December 29th 03, 03:31 AM
Carol

Hi Jennifer,....maybe one day we can try and meet up and show each other a
few tricks..lol.....I started out with a full size quilt as my 1st
project.....Im the type to jump right in with both feet.......just now
working on wall hangings and baby quilts....lol
wrote in message
In article _IKHb.855293$6C4.564125@pd7tw1no, says...
Thought I would add a bit more info about me........I am a 39 year old
single mom of 2 girls...oldest daughter just turned 20 on Christmas and

the
youngest one is 14. I am originally from Iowa but moved to Canada about

4
years ago. So all my family is back in the states. Oldest daughter lives

in
Iowa as well so dont get to see her as often as I would like to. I dont

have
any pets as I live in a small apartment and dont have time to take care

of
one anyway. I work my 12 hours a day then come home and sew till I go to
bed........I never go out so work and quilting are pretty much my
life...lol.......but right now thats enough to keep me busy.

Hi Carol
I too live here in Edmonton--near that dreaded mall eg with only one
fabric store there. I am married mom, 41 yrs with 2 kids...boy(11) and
a girl (7). I have been slowly learning to quilt for about 8 yrs now.
One day I actually might tackle a big one! Up till now I have been
doing wallhangings, baby quilts, tablerunners--small projects.
I was no pets status until this past year. Cat that was foisted upon us
and then my daughter who got herself a leopard gecko. The gecko is not
so bad...it is keeping those darn crickets alive.
Regards,
Jennifer

Intro and newbie question *~Candygrrl~* Beads 26 September 21st 04 06:04 PM
Newbie Lampworkers starlia Beads 17 April 24th 04 01:28 PM
stupid newbie question on kiln firing Beowulf Pottery 10 December 18th 03 02:32 AM
am a newbie and lookin for some books Jasmin Polymer Clay 0 September 6th 03 06:53 AM
In Today's News: Terrified Quilting Newbie breaks silence! Liz and Steve Ford Quilting 33 August 17th 03 04:51 AM