Hanging by a thread

Old October 17th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

Default Hanging by a thread

Since I posted the helpful hint on feathering floss ends I've been too busy
to add the final exercise in the task of separating six strand floss into
one and two threads for stitching. I've been busy getting things around the
shop ready for winter and as a result my stock of needlework accessories has
gotten so low that I had to do a major update to my web site. Add to that,
I've been having to go to hospital three times a week to get a problem
associated with sporadic high blood resolved. Everything is taking up more
of my time than I care for.
I won't keep you hanging by a thread, sort of - so to speak, g
Ok you have feathered out the ends of your cut length of floss.
My recommendation is to feather both ends, the reason will show up later in
this post.
You still have to separate the six threads for use and trying to pull out a
single thread from the others often results in a tangle mess.
The following works the best when working on a table top or other surface;
(a) Take a wooden clothes pin (the one with the little springy thing) and
clamp it onto one end of the cut length of your floss.
(b) Take the other end of the floss and hold five threads between your thumb
and index finger of your right hand.
(c) Take the single thread and hold it between your thumb and index finger
of your left hand.
(d) Raise both hands up until the clothes pin is clear of your working
surface and slowly move your left hand to the left and your right hand to
the right.
(e) This action will cause the clothes pin to rotate in one direction or the
other and as it rotates the single thread in your right hand will separate
from the others with virtually no tangles or snags.
(f) When the separation process is complete, pull the single thread out of
the clothes pin and set it aside for future use.
(g) Repeat the process for the remaining threads.
(h) This provides for a hassle free method of separating your floss into
onesies - twosies, - well almost.
(i) Depending on the direction of the twist in the floss there may be one or
two stubborn threads that kick up a fuss.
(j) In this event simply take the end of your floss that you were holding
between your fingers and clamp it with the clothes pin and do your
separating from the other end.
If you can't separate all the threads in your cut length of floss in 1-1/2
minutes read this post again and start over.LOL

Here's hoping that you can spend less time separating floss and more time
stitching.
Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance
Don't back stitch to email just stitchit

Old October 18th 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mavia

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Fred, if I had to go through that procedure just to separate strands of
floss I wouldn't have any energy left to stitch!

Hopefully in your next post you will explain an 'easy' way to thread a
needle!

I hope your health problems clear up soon and that you have a productive
winter.

Mavia

Old October 19th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Mavia" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes you can just pull the single thread out of the pack, sometimes you
get a tangled mess. Anchor and DMC seem to separate better than the un-named
stuff that comes in kits. I gave up chancing the tangles and just "do it my
way". g

Medical wise it is a slow time consuming effort. 1-1/2 hours three times a
week in out patient, but things appear to be getting better. Dropped from 12
pain killers a day down to about 3 so something is working. A week ago my
breakfast consisted of 22 pills of various types. I could have put them in a
bowl and added milk and sugar if I had a mind for it. LOL

For some reason my blood pressure has been spiking up and over 230. Three CT
scans show nuttin, an MRI is pending. I think that they have taken enough
blood out of me for tests that they could train 2 dozen lab tecs, nuttin.

Winter is a four letter word around here - I detest the cold with a passion.
There are momentary times when my malamute and dog sledding takes my mind
off the cold but they are few and far between. I think I'm getting a bit too
old for the sport.g

Production wise I'm close to being business ready for Thanksgiving and
Christmas.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Hanging Sleeve Sally Swindells Quilting 11 April 6th 08 01:17 AM
I'm still hanging on....OT Larisa/CNYstitcher Quilting 9 November 17th 04 04:02 PM
Hanging panel CC Glass 5 February 5th 04 02:57 AM
Hanging W.I.P Christina Doucette Quilting 7 February 3rd 04 06:57 AM
Hanging by a Thread aeromom Needlework 8 October 22nd 03 11:07 PM