Chemistry basics for potters?

Old October 12th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Chemistry basics for potters?

Oops - meant to say - I would only do that as a test to try to track down
what is going on. Go to clayart (www.potters.org) and do a search for
blistering or blisters in Title and Body - many ideas are there.

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message
Put a scatch in the glaze with your nail. Also your glazes will thicken
over time and need to be thinned. How much glaze do you have and do you
have a scale?

I do have to add a little water to them now and then, for sure.

I have close to 40 high-fire glazes and around 12 low-fire glazes - plus
some underglazes colors.

I have an old kitchen scale that I use to weigh my clay before I dump it
on the wheel. It weighs up to 2 kilos.

Happy weekend!

Marianne

Old October 13th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message

You so DON'T sound like the amateur you pretend to be...

Donna

LOL! Thank you!

I AM an amateur, though. I have sold only one piece (at a students'
exhibition my teacher held), although I do hope to start selling some stuff
on Ebay soon.

I have only been working with clay seriously for about 5 years. Compared to
you guys, I am a baby. And I so greatly appreciate all the input I get from
y'all!

Marianne

Old October 13th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message
Oops - meant to say - I would only do that as a test to try to track down
what is going on. Go to clayart (www.potters.org) and do a search for
blistering or blisters in Title and Body - many ideas are there.

Wow - almost too many ideas! Hehe!

The consensus seems to be that iron can be a problem. I don't think my clay
has iron in it, as it is grey unfired and almost white fired. BUT the glaze
that is my biggest problem is red when unfired, so I am suspecting it might
have iron in it. Possibly a sollution would be to ignore the extra power
required and leave the bottom and top (lid) holes open through the whole
firing in order to provide enough oxygen?

Marianne

Back to basics Marion Pearcey Machine Knit 4 May 22nd 05 05:00 PM
Beading Basics [email protected] Needlework 5 April 21st 05 03:07 PM
ash glaze chemistry ? Beowulf Pottery 7 March 17th 04 07:36 PM
AD: Taos Tesserae and Strange Glow/Experiments in Chemistry Susan B. Beads 7 November 21st 03 09:52 PM
elma ox-hydrogen chemistry ? ilaboo Jewelry 3 October 28th 03 05:43 AM