Why Stashes?

Old August 3rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Why Stashes?

The Great Yarn Fairy sent me a nice bit of yarn.

Why is that ball of yarn precious to me beyond its financial value?

I really do not know why I would put so much more effort into planning a
knitting project that uses $20 worth of yarn, than I put into planning a
evening at the theater that will cost me $20. But, I do! I treat a $20
bottle of wine more casually than I treat a $20 skein of yarn. And I really
do not know why.

I am not sure that learning to spin will cure my irrational protectiveness
of yarn. I am not even sure that having my own sheep with fleeces piling up
in the shearing shed would cure my irrational protectiveness of the yarn in
my stash.

Aaron

Old August 3rd 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:57:49 -0500, Georgia spun a fine yarn

$20 skein of yarn lasts longer than a bottle of wine or an evening at the
theater...both in the working and in the wearing...

Georgia

Georgia,
Couldn't have stated it ANY better, TOO true!
Noreen
http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0631-2, 08/02/2006
Tested: 8/3/2006 1:40:33 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 3rd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
klh in VA

In economics that is called the 'multiplier' effect.

The concept is that when you pay somebody $1 for a task and then they
buy something for $1 and then the grocer pays staff $1 for work and that
person.... It isn't infinite but that is the simplest way of
explanation: that because that original dollar gets spent over several
times, it is said as an industry there is a multiplier for dollars spent
from it. Confused yet?

anyhow you use yarn, you get satisfaction from the process, the product
and the use of the product....

hey don't hit on me for this one; I stayed at GaTech a long time and
worked hard to be able to pull out such trivia 27 years after i left
campus (the last time)

klh in va

Georgia wrote:

$20 skein of yarn lasts longer than a bottle of wine or an evening at the
theater...both in the working and in the wearing...

Georgia

om...

Old August 3rd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

And why is it there are some balls of yarn in the stash that are much more
precious than others, even if they cost less? Is it the colour, the
softness, where they came from? And why is it so much more difficult to find
the right project for that yarn?

Love & higs
Christine

m...

Old August 3rd 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:50:35 GMT, spewed forth :

I am not sure that learning to spin will cure my irrational protectiveness
of yarn.

It won't, at least not immediately. I was sorely attached to my early
handspun yarn, even the horrid stuff that's selling as "designer" yarn
on etsy and other trendy handicraft sites. I finally came to my
senses and made a cat mat out of it.

I also, finally, learned that an ounce of this and an ounce of that do
not a project make. I buy entire fleeces, sometimes several at a
time, and have them sent off to Zeilingers' for processing. When I
buy commerciaI fiber I buy not less than two pounds; I can spin a
sweater from two pounds and expect to have leftovers. Anything less
isn't worth my time.

am not even sure that having my own sheep with fleeces piling up
in the shearing shed would cure my irrational protectiveness of the yarn in
my stash.

My stash is reprehensible. One day I may sit down and take a formal
inventory. Suffice to say I have lots of yarn, and lots of spinning
fiber. More than any one person really needs.

I just don't get the "buy it only as needed" mindset, but that's OK.
Folks who operate that way don't understand my hoarding tendency,
either

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 3rd 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 21:04:36 +0100, Christine in Kent, Garden of
England spun a fine yarn

And why is it there are some balls of yarn in the stash that are much more
precious than others, even if they cost less? Is it the colour, the
softness, where they came from? And why is it so much more difficult to find
the right project for that yarn?

Love & higs
Christine

OMGosh, YES!
I got some gorgeous lilac from Sue CD a WHILE back, it took forever
for me to find the 'right' project to use it on... I also got some
slightly knitand reknit red from Wooly that also defied a project for
a while....
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0631-2, 08/02/2006
Tested: 8/3/2006 5:16:31 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 4th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:16:31 -0500, YarnWright
spewed forth :

I also got some
slightly knitand reknit red from Wooly that also defied a project for
a while....
Noreen

Hm. I sent that yarn to boot camp and you whipped it into shape.

Wonder if I can send my kid to boot camp and get back "the boy next
door" instead of this grubby spawn who took to Risk like a duck takes
to water? Probably not, they'd probably turn him into the next Omar
Bradley...

+++++++++++++

Old August 6th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
wrote:
The Great Yarn Fairy sent me a nice bit of yarn.

Why is that ball of yarn precious to me beyond its financial value?

I really do not know why I would put so much more effort into planning a
knitting project that uses $20 worth of yarn, than I put into planning a
evening at the theater that will cost me $20. But, I do! I treat a $20
bottle of wine more casually than I treat a $20 skein of yarn. And I really
do not know why.

For me, it's because the yarn represents potential. It's something that
I can add something to and create something new. Wine or other consumables
are not something I create with. Probably a cook would disagree, but for
me, creativity is done mainly with fiber.

=Tamar

Death & Stashes Atom1 Sewing 20 September 3rd 04 06:17 PM
Death and Stashes Sharon & Jack Sewing 6 August 30th 04 01:43 PM
People Cleaning Out Stashes Piglet Quilting 3 March 22nd 04 07:00 PM
4-H Fabric Sale selling fabric donated from people's stashes tweety75 Sewing 2 July 29th 03 12:00 AM