Changing tastes?

Old January 11th 05, 08:10 PM
Lisa Ellis

Default Changing tastes?

I walked into my LQS this weekend and my friend who works there said she
had some quilt blocks for me...another friend had given them to her, to
pass on to me. There were block of the month blocks, from 1995. The
reason our friend decided to give them to me was that I had lusted after
them. The funny thing is that I couldn't remember the blocks, even
though I found the block I made.

The blocks were four appliqué hearts, set with sashing and corner
stones. Most were pastels or 30's repro material. I recognized the
block I made because I used actual 30's material (and there was a piece
of tape with my name on the back). While the blocks are nice, I can't
imagine lusting after them. I will put the blocks together, but I
wouldn't make anything like them now.

This incedent has driven home the fact that my tastes have changed over
the years. Certainly, I prefer brighter, more intense colors. How
about you?

lisae

Old January 11th 05, 08:59 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Lisa Ellis wrote:

[...]

My tastes have "evolved" over the years, too, Lisa. I used to stick
pretty much to pastels, which I still like. However, now I *also* like
brights, batiks, tone-on-tones, etc. I'm quite fond of an awfully wide
variety of fabrics, though I have to admit (heretical, I know) that 30's
are not something I like as a rule.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old January 11th 05, 09:55 PM
Patti

Hullo Lisa
Mine have changed enormously over the 10/11 years I have been quilting.
Luckily for my wallet, though, my inclinations are getting fewer!
Horizons are narrowing rather than broadening. It's just a phase, I
expect g
(Second childhood you understand).
..
In article , Lisa Ellis
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 12th 05, 01:37 AM
Louise

Lisa, my tastes have definitely changed over the years. Of course, when I
first started quilting, calico was about the only 100% cotton fabric you
could find, along with some solid colors. There's such a variety of fabrics
out there now, so I think it's pretty natural that our tastes would evolve
with the new fabric fashions. That being said, when we moved last year, I
went through my stash and looked at some fabrics and wondered what on earth
I was thinking of when I bought them! I can't imagine ever liking some of
them and was certain someone must have snuck into the house periodically and
traded out my good stuff!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old January 12th 05, 01:47 AM
Lisa Ellis

Louise wrote:

Lisa, my tastes have definitely changed over the years. Of course, when I
first started quilting, calico was about the only 100% cotton fabric you
could find, along with some solid colors. There's such a variety of fabrics
out there now, so I think it's pretty natural that our tastes would evolve
with the new fabric fashions. That being said, when we moved last year, I
went through my stash and looked at some fabrics and wondered what on earth
I was thinking of when I bought them! I can't imagine ever liking some of
them and was certain someone must have snuck into the house periodically and
traded out my good stuff!

You know, I never thought about the changing availablity of fabric and
how that would effect tastes. I remember when I had a hard time finding
100% cotton fabric!

lisae

Old January 12th 05, 02:15 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:10:19 -0800, Lisa Ellis
wrote:

[...]

I have some fabric - lavender background with little pink and blue
flowers - that I bought to make a dress for my niece when she was 8
months old. She's 11 1/2 now. I now do not like calicoes, or florals
all that much.. it was the cutest thing they had at the fabric shop 11
years ago though.....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 12th 05, 02:29 AM
Polly Esther

I've been through several phases - muted, black/white, calico, soothing and
currently, very bright; not neon but clear primaries.
Lately, there are several from the brown group added to my stash. I tell
myself that I can add brown to my quilts when I grow up. It could happen.
Polly

Old January 12th 05, 12:43 PM
georg

Lisa Ellis wrote:

How
about you?

When I first came to this newsgroup, I was a snob. The only proper quilt
was all by hand. Because that's what my mum taught me. She learned with
cardboard templates. Her first bed size quilt was my twin size storm at
sea and she drew every one of those triangles with her cardboard
templates before carefully cutting them out with her rotary cutter.
Piece in the summer, quilt in the winter, and you can make a quilt a
year that way.

I can saw my eyes have been widened as to the possibilities. I rather
like the speed using a machine can give, as well as using the rotary
cutter more effeciently. (Mum does make better use of her rotary cutter
too). There are projects still that I prefer to do by hand, and others I
am content to use the machine. Depends on deadlines, my schedule, and
the intentions of the project.

As far as my taste in fabric, I admit I've expanded. I still love
purples and blues and the cool tones. But the local fabric shop has seen
me buy pink and use it. I still won't touch orange unless I have to. But
I have seen a couple of florals I actually do like- but they are still
very rare. I have fallen in love with paisley, which is something I
never thought I could bear.

Patternwise, I'm still leaning in the same directions, I think. But I
haven't gotten the ones I am drooling over out of my system. When I do,
then I see this expanding more.

I'm still snobby about a few things, but I've gotten better.

-georg
Old January 12th 05, 12:57 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

I've been through several phases - muted, black/white, calico, soothing and
currently, very bright; not neon but clear primaries.
Lately, there are several from the brown group added to my stash. I tell
myself that I can add brown to my quilts when I grow up. It could happen.
Polly

I have some scrumptious earth browns and gold/beige/caramel colours.
Never thought I'd like them, but I do!

I love most colours, and like different ones for different styles of
quilt. There are some patterns and colour combinations that don't speak
my language (most picture prints for example, and 1960's prints...), but
even there I can use some effectively.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 12th 05, 02:28 PM
Polly Esther

georg, let me urge you to let just a slight bit of orange follow you home.
You don't need much, a FQ might hold you for years. The stingiest touch of
orange adds nice seasoning to a color group.Think of it as like adding a
little salt to chocolate candy or cake frosting. There. Knew I'd get your
attention with that example. Polly

"georg" wrote (in part)