African quilting designs wanted

Old April 2nd 04, 01:09 PM
Mel Rimmer

Default African quilting designs wanted

I'm quilting DS1s jungle animal quilt. There's a picture of it at:

http://www.askv41.dsl.pipex.com/mhp/...y/HPIM0015.htm

I'm stippling all the blue areas to make them recede into the
background. I'm quilting around the animals to make them stand out. My
problem is what to do with the zebra border?

I've already decided to use invisible thread (though I've never used it
before) because anything else will detract from the black/white zebra
pattern. I'd like to do some kind of African zig-zag border pattern, but
I don't know how to make zig-zags look particularly African.

I'm thinking of making a trip to the museum where they have some African
art, and maybe seeing if I can find something in the library, but I
thought maybe someone in this group may have already tackled an African
quilt and come up with something that would help me.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old April 2nd 04, 02:02 PM
Shirley.Caylor

Take a look at this quilt. The green strip fabric on the right with the
gold zig zag may give you some ideas.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/elainemagni..._1784_10054179

Shirley

Old April 2nd 04, 02:17 PM
Patti

Hullo Mel
What a smashing quilt for Tom.
If you are going to use invisible thread, I think the quilting pattern
will be pretty well hidden. However, just a thought would be to do
double, mirror image zig-zags (so it will look like diamond shapes
overall). When I say double, I mean parallel lines about half an inch
apart. Mirror image: one zigging when the other zags. Diamond patterns
are a fundamental design and might well have been used in Africa.
..
In article , Mel Rimmer
writes
I'm quilting DS1s jungle animal quilt. There's a picture of it at:

http://www.askv41.dsl.pipex.com/mhp/...y/HPIM0015.htm

I'm stippling all the blue areas to make them recede into the
background. I'm quilting around the animals to make them stand out. My
problem is what to do with the zebra border?

I've already decided to use invisible thread (though I've never used it
before) because anything else will detract from the black/white zebra
pattern. I'd like to do some kind of African zig-zag border pattern, but
I don't know how to make zig-zags look particularly African.

I'm thinking of making a trip to the museum where they have some African
art, and maybe seeing if I can find something in the library, but I
thought maybe someone in this group may have already tackled an African
quilt and come up with something that would help me.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 2nd 04, 06:10 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Mel Rimmer wrote:

I'm quilting DS1s jungle animal quilt. There's a picture of it at:

http://www.askv41.dsl.pipex.com/mhp/...y/HPIM0015.htm

I'm stippling all the blue areas to make them recede into the
background. I'm quilting around the animals to make them stand out. My
problem is what to do with the zebra border?

I've already decided to use invisible thread (though I've never used it
before) because anything else will detract from the black/white zebra
pattern. I'd like to do some kind of African zig-zag border pattern, but
I don't know how to make zig-zags look particularly African.

I'm thinking of making a trip to the museum where they have some African
art, and maybe seeing if I can find something in the library, but I
thought maybe someone in this group may have already tackled an African
quilt and come up with something that would help me.

Mel, what if you just echoed the zebra stripes -- a few horizontal to
the next section, than a few vertical to the next, and so on. Either
that, or maybe you could find a drawing of a zebra you could adapt to a
quilting motif and just quilt a parade of zebras in that border.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

Old April 3rd 04, 12:32 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Ethne Slusser
writes
Mel I'm from South Africa and I can tell you that big and bold is the way to
go

Ethne in PA

Thanks, and thanks also to everyone who answered. I've been googling for
African designs, African zig zags, African quilts, and I think that just
plain zig zags are very African however you do them. Your advice makes
sense, Ethne - keep it big and bold, and keep it simple.

I know that invisible thread won't show up, but the relief patterns it
makes against the fabric will, if only in a subtle way. The border is
too wide to leave unquilted so I have to do something in there. But I
like the zebra skin print so much (my brilliant sister, Steph's, idea) I
don't want to detract from the graphic black-and-whiteness of it.

Am I being too cowardly? Should I take the "big and bold" lesson on
board and do thick satin stitch zigzags all over it in black red yellow
and green? Then again, it's only a border, I don't want to make it the
focus of the quilt. That should be the funny cartoon animals. Oh dear.
I'm thinking too hard about this again :-(
--
Mel Rimmer
Old April 3rd 04, 01:19 PM
Roberta Zollner

Got a picture?
Roberta in D

"Mel Rimmer" wrote in message
In article , Ethne Slusser
writes

Old April 3rd 04, 03:01 PM
KJ

I think I would freehand quilt the stripes with a transparent thread. Just
pick some out to outline then keep moving to the next stripe. The stripes
will pop out. I've done something similar and it looked great.
Personally, I don't think I'd like a zig zag or Greek Key type of quilting
on top of the zebra stripe.

--
Kathyl

remove "nospam-" before mchsi

"Mel Rimmer" wrote in message
In article , Ethne Slusser
writes

Old April 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Roberta Zollner
writes
Got a picture?
Roberta in D

Old April 3rd 04, 07:22 PM
Debra

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:09:50 +0100, Mel Rimmer
wrote:

I'm quilting DS1s jungle animal quilt. There's a picture of it at:

http://www.askv41.dsl.pipex.com/mhp/...y/HPIM0015.htm

I'm stippling all the blue areas to make them recede into the
background. I'm quilting around the animals to make them stand out. My
problem is what to do with the zebra border?

I've already decided to use invisible thread (though I've never used it
before) because anything else will detract from the black/white zebra
pattern. I'd like to do some kind of African zig-zag border pattern, but
I don't know how to make zig-zags look particularly African.

I'm thinking of making a trip to the museum where they have some African
art, and maybe seeing if I can find something in the library, but I
thought maybe someone in this group may have already tackled an African
quilt and come up with something that would help me.

Zigzags, triangles, and diamonds are all easy geometric shapes that
can be easily found in all primitive art, no mater what the culture.
The particular culture is often denoted by the combination of colors
used, or the fabric print, and other things like that. If zigzag is
what you want to do, zigzag away!
Debra in VA