learning to quilt

Old October 8th 03, 03:38 PM
Ruben F. Almager

Default learning to quilt

Is there anyone out there that has any suggestings on the best way to learn
how to quilt?
is there anyone in austin, texas that is willing to teach me?

Old October 8th 03, 08:04 PM
Sudrlg

Hi Ruben

Here are some websites that could start you off

www.easymade.com
click on video clips

click on beginners for links

www.planetpatchwork.com
click on beginners for a list of links

I learned how to quilt from library books - they were mostly pretty old - but I
got the idea - and that was a good way for me to learn. The internet is also
an endless - and often free- resource. You should be able to find classes at
quilt shops in your area if you prefer hands on teaching.
My personal advice is to start with small projects that will be easy to
complete and will not require a major investment in tools or materials. You
really don't need much to start - needles, pins, fabric, batting, ruler,
pencil and scissors are the basics.
You'll need a thimble for hand work - or a sewing machine if you prefer. A
rotary cutter, mat and the proper rulers are great, but you really can manage
with scissors for a while. The list goes on and on for supplies, so your
budget might determine what you really really need.
If there is a JoAnn's Fabrics in your area, get on their mailing list. They
have monthly 40% or 50% off coupons and that is a good way to collect tools,
thread and fabric. Send away for catalogues - Hancock's of Paducah, Keepsake
Quilting and Connecting Threads are all online - their catalogues have tons of
information, ideas, and very cool fabrics and supplies.
Attend quilt shows. They are a great learning experience - you'll come home
inspired.
Please feel free to ask questions. There are quilters from all over just
waiting to offer their constantly conflicting opinions. Remember these 2
simple rules:
--Wash your fabric first - it will let you know if there is going to be a
problem with bleeding dyes, and it will also shrink before you start cutting
and sewing.
--Never bother washing your fabric first - it is a complete waste of time and
washes out the sizing. Any shrinking that occurs after the quilt is completed
will only add a soft and cuddly look.
HTH
Deena- in Philly
Old October 8th 03, 11:34 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

First two are debatable, 3rd isn't. Definitely LN!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
You just had to didnt you. :-)
just two rules.
what about tear vs cut?
Joanns vs LQS material?
Sending finished quilts to LN vs sending them to.. oh..say.. me...?
Diana

Old October 8th 03, 11:56 PM
Dumpling

Hi

Just go for, have fun, make mistakes, then join a club!

I worked for me :-)

....Fran...

Old October 9th 03, 01:18 AM
Sharon Harper

((snort))

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 9th 03, 01:42 AM
Dumpling

Tee Hee

That was supposed to be...

IT worked for me!

....Fran...

Old October 9th 03, 02:37 AM
Sudrlg

In article , "Diana Curtis"
writes:

just two rules.
what about tear vs cut?
Joanns vs LQS material?
Sending finished quilts to LN vs sending them to.. oh..say.. me...?
Diana

Hi Diana
I chose that because it is the one question from which all true answers come.
Deena - in Philly